PJ squadrons.

Frisco

Weapons free
Can someone please tell me what the difference in a Rescue Squaron and a Special Tactics squadron is?

Assignment Locations in Rescue Squadrons
o Moody AFB, (Valdosta) GA (38th Rescue Squadron)
o Nellis AFB (Las Vegas) NV (58th Rescue Squadron)
o Davis-Monthan AFB, (Tucson) AZ (48th Rescue Squadron)
o Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, JA (31st Rescue Squadron)
o RAF Lakenheath, (England) UK (OL 1, 48th Fighter Wing)
Assignment Locations in Special Tactics Squadrons
o Hurlburt Field, (Ft. Walton Beach) FL (23rd Special Tactics Squadron)
o Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, JA (320th Special Tactics Squadron)
o Mildenhall AB, (England) UK (321st Special Tactics Squadron)
o NOTE: Under current Special Operations Forces realignment plan, the 320/321 STS’ will probably be deactivated and moved to Cannon AFB, (Clovis) NM in 2008 and activated as a new squadron (26 STS).
o Pope AFB, (Fayetteville) NC (24th Special Tactics Squadrons). Note: Assignment to 24 STS is possible after serving 2-years in an operational squadron.
Special selection process applies before assignment.
o Other staff & instructor assignment locations are available later at:
Kirtland AFB NM, Lackland & Randolph AFBs TX, Panama City FL, Yuma Proving Grounds AZ, etc.

Not a PJ, but I believe that Special Tactics Squadrons have CCTs assigned.

Rescue squadrons coordinate and conduct Combat/Civilian Search and rescue missions. STS mainly focus their attention on the Combat Controllers (CCT) however there are PJs there too. They do conduct SAR missions as well, however, with the CAS support that CCT brings to the table, it also enables STS Team members to embed easier with other SOF Teams out there.

There's a lot more to it than that, but that's the most cut and dry explanation i can give ya.

Rescue squadrons coordinate and conduct Combat/Civilian Search and rescue missions. STS mainly focus their attention on the Combat Controllers (CCT) however there are PJs there too. They do conduct SAR missions as well, however, with the CAS support that CCT brings to the table, it also enables STS Team members to embed easier with other SOF Teams out there.

There's a lot more to it than that, but that's the most cut and dry explanation i can give ya.

C/Maj,

This is from someone who is a PJ(JustAnotherJ)... his info is as factual as it gets on this topic...

Cool, thanks for the info. So would like Rescue Squadrons be mostly like a QRF, waiting for something to happen, then spinning up and going, whereas STS guys would ride along and get sent out with other SF soldiers in like a Medic position?

Kind of. Sometimes, with all the bureaucratic bullshit, QRFs beat us to missions (which i hope is going to change soon) because higher doesn't want their PJs going out on some little mission when a pilot could go down. So read the news and tell me how many pilots are being shot down...hence why PJs are experts at the XBox [/anger]

Sad day when a mission deson't go to the best man for it because there is a chance something else MIGHT happen, and he ends up not getting to do his job at all... The Air Force really needs to get more vocal about their Pararescue career field.. That's being severely undermaned and stretched too thin if you ask me..

amen...its frustrating...especially when your cct buddies send you killin pics while your deployed in diff theatre waitin for that traditional csar mish.

x5 double high five. I dont think I ever, ever, EVER want to go to a rescue, if i can avoid it. I dont think I can, but hey- i might.

And let me be clear- RQS does good work, they employ good guys, and are just as capable as an STS. I just dont wanna work for one, because of my own personal choice.

JAJ, youre right on as always. Now if you weren't so damn cynical..... oh wait:doh:

Sorry for the bump. I was doing some searching and found partly what I was curious about. I'll ask my question here, so that i don't congest the forum with another thread and to keep related information in the same place.

Does assignment to a STS require any additional training or screening, since the mission is slightly different? Or is it something reserved for veteran PJ's who've been in for some time, or a luck of the draw/dream sheet sort of process?

Trying to wrap my head around the fact that although you wouldn't want CSAR assets in country to get dedicated to casevac/medivac missions, having them in the call chain for when the "first due" assets/elements are currently tasked out makes complete sense.... makes my head hurt.

Basically being "on-call mutual aid" when everything else is full up provided you have the assets to be able to support the additional mission while still being able to provide your primary mission of CSAR. Example being an assumption of 2 teams operating on 2 birds, one being tasked to CSAR ONLY, one being CSAR primary "everybody else" backup secondary... and just flip-flop every other day or what have you.

Any reason my idea wouldn't make sense, other than it does therefore it's unimplementable in military force structure?

even after all this explanation - I still dont understand the RQS/CCT difference in PJ job duties.

We are AIR FORCE PARARESCUEMEN. Not Special Tactics (ST) Pararescuemen,
Combat Air Forces (CAF) Pararescuemen, SOF Pararescuemen, JSOC
Pararescuemen, Active Duty Pararescuemen, Guard Pararescuemen, Reserve
Pararescuemen, ect. We are a combined collective of 500+ Active Duty,
Guard, and Reserve PJ's assigned worldwide to execute the rescue mission.
These 500+ PJ's are spread out throughout the world and under different
commands(ACC, AFSOC, JSOC, Reserve, Guard, PACAF, AETC, and USAFE).
However, all are trained the same, equipped the same, and execute the same
mission. A PJ is a PJ, none are better than the other, the only thing that changes is the customer
requiring our coverage and expertise. We can take an ACC PJ and plug him
into an AFSOC, Reserve, or Guard Team or vice versa and he would be able to
operate and execute the mission.

Pararescuemen are NOT MEDICS. PJ's are combatants, medics are not. We
play an offensive role during combat operations. We fight our way in,
rescue those who need it, and we fight our way out. Our mission is to
rescue anyone, anytime, anywhere, under any conditions. We will do whatever
is necessary to bring our fellow American or Allied personnel home. We deny
the enemy a capture, kill, body to drag through the streets, or sensitive
equipment to sell/duplicate. We have and will continue to deliberately
eliminate the enemy in order to bring our wounded, injured, shot down,
isolated, or captured home...medics don't do this. Yes, our trauma medical
skills are world class, but it's only one of several hundred other world
class skill sets we possess.

Our mission is Personnel Recovery. All missions we perform should be
referred to as "Personnel Recovery Missions or Rescue Missions", not
MEDEVAC, CASEVAC, CSAR ect. DoD and some of the leadership you may talk to
will refer to our rescue missions as such, they have their reasons, we
don't. PJ's perform rescue (live humans) and recovery
(dead humans and sensitive equipment) operations ANYWHERE, ANY TIME, AND
UNDER ANY CONDITIONS ACROSS THE GLOBE. In addition, those we rescue should
not be referred to as "patients"...they are shot-down, wounded, isolated,
ect., US or Allied Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Airman, civilians ect. I
don't think our nations warriors in harm's way requiring our expertise like
to be referred to as "patients".

oh ok, that sounds better!

How are guys in an STS structured? because CCTs get attached as individuals to SOF teams, are they part of a team in an STS? Or do they standalone as individuals but train in a group.

x5 double high five. I dont think I ever, ever, EVER want to go to a rescue, if i can avoid it. I dont think I can, but hey- i might.
WELP! Going to Vegas! Excited about it too. Should be an awesome time.

Does assignment to a STS require any additional training or screening, since the mission is slightly different? Or is it something reserved for veteran PJ's who've been in for some time, or a luck of the draw/dream sheet sort of process?
Overarching large answer, no. Some PJ's coming out of the pipeline that get assigned to an STS get Advanced Skills Training at Hurby with the Combat Controllers, basically an add on course to take care of most of their upgrade. In addition, you need to be ATP (Advanced Tactical Practitioner) qualified- the ACC doesn't require you get that cert to work at an RQS. STS- because it works closely with other services as our primary mission- does.

oh ok, that sounds better!

How are guys in an STS structured? do they standalone as individuals but train in a group.
That is a beef right now- you train with the guys you're on team with- and dont deploy with them. We are employed (at least at my unit) exactly like the Controllers, to an ODA that needs a PJ.

Well, I want you to! I often do some dumb shit and need someone to pull my ass outta the fire.

Well, if you're in the Vegas area, the old motto applies- "Any time, any where, you fuck up, I'll pick up!"

ACC is the devil.
It's a damn shame that after all the years that have passed since 1993 that this still can be said.

Missions’ are the tasks assigned by the President or Secretary of Defense to the combatant commanders.

‘Functions’ are specific responsibilities assigned by the President/SECDEF to enable the Services to fulfill their legally established roles.

The Air Force has twelve core mission functions (sets) it provides to combatant commanders. These core functions express the ways in which the Air Force is particularly and appropriately suited to contribute to national security, but they do not necessarily express every aspect of what the Air Force contributes. These twelve core mission functions are: Nuclear Deterrence Operations, Air Superiority, Space Superiority, Cyberspace Superiority, Command and Control, Global Integrated ISR, Global Precision Attack, Special Operations, Rapid Global Mobility, Personnel Recovery, Agile Combat Support and Building Partnerships. Ref AFDD-1 , 14 Oct 2011.

Special Tactics Squadrons are AFSOC assets and consequently USSOCOM (a combat command) assets permanently aligned under the USSOCOM combat commander as Special Operations Forces to execute tasks assigned to USSOCOM

Pararescue Combat Rescue Squadrons are units of the conventional combat air forces which are the Air Force service components of the other eight combatant commands (AFRICOM, CENTCOM, EUCOM, NORTHCOM, PACOM, SOUTHCOM, STRATCOM, and TRANSCOM). These other commands execute missions as assigned by the President or Secretary of Defense.

TXPJ007 gave the short summary explanation. The long and heavy reading explantions can be found in reading PDF documents found at http://www.alaska.net/~jcassidy/ under the navgation bar titled USAF Pararescue Histories and documents.

Back