Plate & Screws - PULHES Factor

Chris Rulli

Unverified
In Stew Smith's PJ/CCT workout series, he notes that you must have a 111111 physical profile based on the PULHES Factor grading system to be considered for selection. I've done quite a bit of searching and have not been able to find an answer to my question. Following a prior medical PDQ, I have been approved to physical but am wondering if a plate and screws on my left clavicle will prevent a grade of 1 on the Upper Extremities section and disallow me the opportunity to take the PAST.

If anybody has any insight or experience regarding this, it would be much appreciated. Thank you all for your service and input on these forums.

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_sg/publication/afi48-123/afi48-123.pdf Looks like it will depend on how much it bothers you during the assessment with the doc. It looks like it may fall under grade 2 based on the way it reads. "Slightly limited mobility of joints, Mild muscular weakness or other musculoskeletal defects that do not prevent hand-to-hand fighting and are compatible with prolonged effort. Capable of all basic work commensurate with grade and position." But I'm a brain guy, this is just based off of what amount of medical clearances I do and a Google search.

Thanks for the input Evans. A quick follow up. I had LASIK about 6 years ago. I've read that it is disqualifying for HALO training due to the cut in the corneal flap which can potentially rip open. However, I've also read that it can be waiverable based on pre and post op data. See the forum here: For all those interested in joining Special Ope... | Ask a Soldier

Are you able to weigh in on this based on your experience?

Noticed the link isn't working. Here's the excerpt from May 2015.

QUESTION: Is LASIK eye surgery disqualifying for Special Forces?
ANSWER:
No. The eye surgery that was, until recently, considered for full SF service is PRK, which is still the preferred method, and Laser Epithelial Keratomileusis (commonly known as LASEK). Laser-Assisted in situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) can be waivered, but must have pre-surgery data in addition to post-surgery data and waiting requirment of minimum 6 months post surgery.

ACCESSION MEDICAL WAIVERS FOR PRK AND LASIK

USAF Corneal Refractive Surgery (USAF-CRS) Program Commander’s Authorization

This is Air Force info, awareness must be kept that each military department (Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force, and Coast Guard) may have slightly different policies regarding new accessions or retention on active duty for PRK and LASIK. More importantly entry classification eligibility medical qualifications for military occupation (AFSC, MOS, NEC) and medical qualifications required for retention of military occupation (AFSC, MOS, NEC) also do vary.

Last edited:
Only able to base this off of the info I have from seeing different AFI's and Regs we have for people retraining, more often than not LASIK is not approved. IIRC even our pilots and Security Forces are unable to have anything other than PRK due to the risk of vision loss if you jar it around too much. But then again, being in the hospital I have seen waivers for the craziest things, so don't give up on it.

Back