Poll: Should the UN/NATO/US/Someone Create a No-Fly Zone Over Libya?

No-Fly?

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters
I voted no, but don't care as long as we are not involved.
Where would ground based aircraft be located at? or do we just plant a carrier Battle Group off shore for the next 10 years.
Would we actually engage Libyian aircraft, or is our presence supposed to scare somebody.

No. It's a Libyan problem, the Libyans need to find their own solution.

The only time I would endorse a NFZ is if a transport AC needs to go in to to get civvies out.

The U.S. should not get involved with anything that happens in Libya. Now if the UN wants to get involved w/o U.S. support let them. However I don't think most people who want the NFZ don't know the half of what it takes to implement one. Such as destroying Libyan AA defenses, Aircraft, getting aircraft into the AO, etc, etc... 2cents

I voted yes, I think it needs to be done but I think it's about time some one else takes the lead. Most of the regulars at the table are busy sorting out other shitholes around the world. It's either a no fly zone or feed the locals the munitions they need to get the job done.

But they won't even accept an envoy or "envoy" what makes you think that they'll accept a NFZ without their permission?

By force, "take away" both sides air and anti air assets. Fuck 'em! But according to some of the latest reports, the rebels want a NFZ.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/950261--rebels-pin-hopes-on-warplanes?bn=1

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/07/eveningnews/main20040323.shtml

Gee, go figure.
He's using the airforce to stop the rebels, so they want us to win their war for them.
Then they can accept money from us and go to the UN and complain about the imperial US.
Nope, this is a civil war, and we should not get involved.

Gee, go figure.
He's using the airforce to stop the rebels, so they want us to win their war for them.
Then they can accept money from us and go to the UN and complain about the imperial US.
Nope, this is a civil war, and we should not get involved.
And then, post war, they will want the U.S. to reimburse them for damages to military assets that the new government will expect to inherit.

By force, "take away" both sides air and anti air assets. Fuck 'em! But according to some of the latest reports, the rebels want a NFZ.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/950261--rebels-pin-hopes-on-warplanes?bn=1

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/07/eveningnews/main20040323.shtml

We don't even know who the rebels are properly. They could be anybody. There could be a number of groups involved. Who knows. Let it settle. They've got MANPADS, they'll be OK.

I said yes..but let Britain and France do it since they want it. Everyone else gets to sit this one out.

I voted no. Any attempt by a foreign country to help the Libyan resistance will simultaneously delegitimize that resistance element IMO.

I voted no. Any attempt by a foreign country to help the Libyan resistance will simultaneously delegitimize that resistance element IMO.

Exactly. Feed the rebels weapons and ammo and other way behind the scene help but let them fight there fight. The rebels are winning the battles and control a lot of land already. They are withstanding the air attacks. It might take a few days or it might take a few months but they have the intiative today.

Establishing a NoFly Zone would save lives but there is no need to get involved especially when are involvement is not even wanted.

Exactly. Feed the rebels weapons and ammo and other way behind the scene help but let them fight there fight. The rebels are winning the battles and control a lot of land already. They are withstanding the air attacks. It might take a few days or it might take a few months but they have the intiative today.

Establishing a NoFly Zone would save lives but there is no need to get involved especially when are involvement is not even wanted.

Agreed but if they win then there will be a need to step in with aid and to help them to establish themselves as a stable nation. What you suggested has been done before with zero follow through and its still a mess.

I voted no, but don't care as long as we are not involved.
Where would ground based aircraft be located at? or do we just plant a carrier Battle Group off shore for the next 10 years.
Would we actually engage Libyian aircraft, or is our presence supposed to scare somebody.

Bingo.

You can't start feeding them guns n ammo like it's a shoot at the range and you want to get into their pants. We still don't know who these guys fully are or who they'll turn out to be. Make them a client after AFTER the fact if need be but right now let's just watch.

Besides, they've got all the guns n ammo they need right now.

Back