Ponytails and lipstick: Sweeping changes to Army grooming standards are coming

Do you agree with that part of the rationale for those changes above, and if so, would you support the other changes to grooming standards if they also had materially practical reasons like the above?
No.

Damn...the next thing you know they'll let people put their hands in their pockets,
No.

Do you think that, in order to sustain the force amidst chronic recruitment and retention problems, it is more sensible for the brass to focus on things like cosmetic inclusivity,
No.

We actually don't have chronic recruitment problems. The problem? Every Administration, usually coincides with the color of their political party wants something completely different. The only time it was semi-close in the last 30 years was before Sept-11th when Rumsfeld began the re-design of the Army and then continued that re-design in the middle of two conflicts that occurred at the same time.

Then we had three force cuts under the Obama administration, but he also surged in Afghanistan increasing OPTEMPO. Then we did Syria, then we went back into Iraq. While still cutting the Force.

Under Trump those cuts got reversed and we began a second grow the army initiative...oh but guess what, Biden is going to cut the Force Structure too and likely increase operational tempo.

It's a cyclical effect that was talked about in the West Wing btw.

None of this has to do with grooming standards though. Just addressing the red herring of recruitment problems tied to grooming standards.

Hmmmm. Thinking of starting a new enterprise selling sports bras in VERY large sizes to soldiers in need of a "lift." 8-) :ack: :ROFLMAO:

Honestly, I hope this removes the amount of EO complaints black females are able to make against their first Sergeants and Sergeants Major who were literally just enforcing the standards.

I understand the idea that there were EO complaints because they "enforced the standards", but I've also literally seen a 1SG take a ruler to all our black females hair (not anyone else though) and demand counselings for their hair being 1/4 inch out of regs.

These hair style/length are good. I can even understand the nail polish thing.

Lipstick, earrings, and frosted tips are worthless though.

No.

No.

No.

This man is a Marine.

The rest of you fucking metrosexuals, three inches on top, evenly graduated on the sides and back, feet at a 45 degree angle, thumbs on the seams of the trousers, eyes on the bulkhead and square your scuzzy civilian asses away until you are able to maintain proper military alignment and a constant state of combat readiness.

Carry on, I’ll be in the company area all afternoon.

Last edited:
We currently have Tormund Giantsbane on station. I doubt his impressive beard or height/weight standards affect his ability to do his job.

Side note: whenever I see him I picture a guy stepping off a longship headed towards an English monastery for some of that sweet pillage, rape, and arson action.

We currently have Tormund Giantsbane on station. I doubt his impressive beard or height/weight standards affect his ability to do his job.

Side note: whenever I see him I picture a guy stepping off a longship headed towards an English monastery for some of that sweet pillage, rape, and arson action.
Canada and our own Indian heritage troops have proven the beard/NBC argument invalid ad nauseam, and it boils down to don't look trashbad in uniform. Make it a commander approval thing at the lowest level, like the... Brits? do for their Navy? 6 months to try to grow a decent beard, if you are prepubescent then you get to shave for a few years and then try again.

Back