Popcorn Lung from E-Cigs

From the FDA.gov page on e-cigs:

"E-cigarettes have not been fully studied, so consumers currently don’t know:

- the potential risks of e-cigarettes when used as intended,
- how much nicotine or other potentially harmful chemicals are being inhaled during use, or
- whether there are any benefits associated with using these products."

An irreversible, life threatening obstructive lung disease from unstudied chemicals or life threatening cancer of the lungs (and various other places.)

Such decisions for those who smoke!

SteveBuscemi_LooksGoodToMe_zps7wh6mpmf.jpg

From the FDA.gov page on e-cigs:

"E-cigarettes have not been fully studied, so consumers currently don’t know:

- the potential risks of e-cigarettes when used as intended,
- how much nicotine or other potentially harmful chemicals are being inhaled during use, or
- whether there are any benefits associated with using these products."

An irreversible, life threatening obstructive lung disease from unstudied chemicals or life threatening cancer of the lungs (and various other places.)

Such decisions for those who smoke!

SteveBuscemi_LooksGoodToMe_zps7wh6mpmf.jpg

If it gets bad enough, they'll just market it as a dietary suppliment. That will take the FDA out of the picture:wall:. The crap that is on the market today, claiming instant cures for anything you can think of.

As an side note: Doc, it is good to see you on our forums; it took ya long enough to get your butt over here;-).

If it gets bad enough, they'll just market it as a dietary suppliment. That will take the FDA out of the picture:wall:. The crap that is on the market today, claiming instant cures for anything you can think of.

This speaks to a lack of basic scientific literacy in general, IMO, and the trend of self studying and doctoring.

phd051809s.gif

Up to the the recent past, making the point on legitimate vs. BS remedies was a simple explanation of the extensive (~10 years) and expensive (~2.6 billion) process of taking a compound that may have a clinical application through FDA testing, trials and approval.

Now I have patients coming already considering the use of things like "essential oils", homeopathic nonsense, or whatever is in the little packet that the super-jacked guy at GNC gave them as serious alternatives. :wall::wall:

As an side note: Doc, it is good to see you on our forums; it took ya long enough to get your butt over here;-).

Yeah, I get around to stuff sometimes. :p

Plus people look like a fucking dick head tool sucking on some pipe in public, smelling like pancakes or flowers. Can you say hipster?

M.

It's the look of arrogance that really bugs the hell out of me, just slightly more than the stupid smell. I won't judge them for doing it (unfortunately I fell into the smoking habit in my late teens, Marlboros being my vice. I like it, what can I say) but don't act like you're high and above me. As was said, at least I can look up what's killing me. These fuckers act like they've found a way to get nicotine, without any side effects. Smugness usually breeds stupidity, I guess. In my case, stupid breeds stupid, but at least I'm not a prick about it.

Good friends father (80yrs old) been smoking since he was 11, used to tell the doctor's "when" every time he was told smoking would kill him, got told that he has throat cancer. Watched his son in tears, while he lit another cigarette... IDK what to think of that.

Last edited:
Good friends father (80yrs old) been smoking since he was 11, used to tell the doctor's every time he was told smoking would kill him, that he has throat cancer. Watched his son in tears, while he lit another cigarette... IDK what to think of that.

It is a very hard addiction to step away from, and not everyone can do it. My grand father smoked Camels up to the day he died, @ 85. That was in '68, and the anti smoking push was still far away. I have a brother in law who is on oxygen 24/7 because of his COPD from smoking; smoking while on oxygen no less. The only answer is that," it is what it is". There is nothing anyone can do to stop someone from smoking.

Last edited:
Good friends father (80yrs old) been smoking since he was 11, used to tell the doctor's "when" every time he was told smoking would kill him, got told that he has throat cancer. Watched his son in tears, while he lit another cigarette... IDK what to think of that.
My mom stopped smoking when she couldn't work the lighter, died 10 days later from cancer.

It is a very hard addiction to step away from, and not everyone can do it. My grand father smoked Camels up to the day he died, @ 85. That was in '68, and the anti smoking push was still far away. I have a brother in law who is on oxygen 24/7 because of his COPD from smoking; smoking while on oxygen no less. The only answer is that," it is what it is". There is nothing anyone can do to stop someone from smoking.

I've yet to try to quit, like I said the main problem stopping me is that I truly enjoy it too much. Call me stupid for it, I fully understand just how stupid it sounds/is. However I know a few that have tried, and quite unsuccessfully. One of my co-workers gave Chantix (sp?) a shot, and it didn't work for him. He said he would have terrible headaches, very bizarre nightmares, and it caused him to evidently sleep walk because he'd wake up in strange places in his house with no recollection of how he got there. After a couple times of that he stopped taking it. Another friend went the patch and gum route, and he stopped smoking for a few months but ended up hooked on the gum instead.

I've come to the conclusion that when I get my shit together and decide to give it a shot, that the only proper way to do it is to just go cold turkey. I know it'll be one of the hardest things I'll ever do, but dropping one addiction for another makes fuck all sense in my book.

I've yet to try to quit, like I said the main problem stopping me is that I truly enjoy it too much. Call me stupid for it, I fully understand just how stupid it sounds/is. However I know a few that have tried, and quite unsuccessfully. One of my co-workers gave Chantix (sp?) a shot, and it didn't work for him. He said he would have terrible headaches, very bizarre nightmares, and it caused him to evidently sleep walk because he'd wake up in strange places in his house with no recollection of how he got there. After a couple times of that he stopped taking it. Another friend went the patch and gum route, and he stopped smoking for a few months but ended up hooked on the gum instead.

I've come to the conclusion that when I get my shit together and decide to give it a shot, that the only proper way to do it is to just go cold turkey. I know it'll be one of the hardest things I'll ever do, but dropping one addiction for another makes fuck all sense in my book.

I was a smoker, cigars, pipe, and Marlboros. The key ingredient to breaking the addiction is desire. If you have not found a reason to stop, you won't. You can try all the OTC and Rx out there, and it will be a waste of time and money. If you want motivation, consider this: You are running a gamble between two deadly things, and cancer is not one of them. 1. Cardiovascular effects can lead to heart attacks that you may or may not survive. If you survive and continue smoking, it will happen again to an already damaged heart muscle. 2. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is directly from smoking. There are small cillia, small hairs, that line a good portion of your lungs breathing tubes. They act as filters, and they move inhaled crap from deep in the lungs up to the parts of your airway that make you cough, and get rid of some of what has been inhaled. Smoking does two things to these cillia: first is that the cilliary movement stops, and you have stopped your lung's clearing ability. Second, after a few years of smoking, the cillia just do not grow back. Soooooo, you have small chronic subclinical(You Don't Know About It) lung infections going on throught both lung fields nearly all the time. This causes scaring in the lungs, and it becomes harder and harder to breath, exhaling in particular. At this point you are smoking while breathing oxygen, and struggeling to do much of anything at all; a true pulmonary cripple.

All that said, you are gambling that you have a massive heart attack and die from that, or you become a pulmonary cripple who will be having trouble moving enough air to talk, eat, stand and walk, etc. I have not even touched on the variety of cancers that smoking is directly linked to. There are things now available the can make it easier to stop. You have already thrown up roadblocks in your head for Chantix, and Nicorette. Because there are side effects for some, does not mean it will happen to you. I used Chantix, and it made it really very easy. I had no side effects, and continued to smoke while on Chantix. After about 5 or 6 days, I found that the desire to smoke dropped to zero. I found that if I smoked or not made no difference at all. I stopped buying Marlboros. I stopped smoking. I then went off the Chantix and I was a non-smoker. There are still times I would love a cigar, and a smoke of some sort. I have a small mantra in my head that says," just don't buy any today"; "just don't do it today".

The bottom line really, is you have to see the need to stop smoking. Without that nothing you try will work. We have a thread or two about this, use the search tool, and you will see where quite a few on this site have stopped smoking. It really is up to you, and today smoking is becoming more and more of a taboo. They make it pretty hard to smoke at work, and just about any place else. I'd say that there is plenty of incentive, you just have to tune into that and apply it to your life.

Last edited:
Best thing that helped me quit smoking was having to go outside. When it's -20 out, you really have to decide if you want that smoke. I also was sick of paying $8/pack (and this was 10 years ago) or more if I was outside of Anchorage or Wasilla. I think I used a total of 5 pieces of Nicorette gum in the first few days then that was it. The cold is what really did it.

I lost a brother from my former cop shop to smoking. He was an old school, true blue, "I'll take the bullet for you" cop who spent a good deal of his career as a decoy in what was known as the Granny Squad (if you know, you know).

They took a lobe out of one of his lungs secondary to lung CA. A few weeks post-discharge he was smoking again.

@Red Flag 1 is right; you either want to quit or you don't.

@BuckysBadger24 when you say you won't quit because you like it too much, what you're really saying is, "I'm addicted." I'm sure you know that, so man up and put the damn things down. That said, it's your life.

Back