Popcorn Lung from E-Cigs

Yeah I absolutely can appreciate what you're saying @RedFlag1. I actually lurked that Kicking Tobacco thread to see what progress @Jay was making, and the difficulty of it really shown through. Yet another gem on this forum you wouldn't expect to see. I guess I misspoke, I'm not totally against any aids, I was just giving examples, but when I do decide to quit, I would like my first (and hopefully only) attempt to be cold turkey. That said, if I were to fail I would certainly consider using a smoking aid to get the means to an end. I just don't have the interest in doing so right now. I know in this day and age, with all the literature and obviousness of its effects, that sounds insane, but I don't know a better way to put it. My initial reason for making my statement was just to illustrate my feelings about a lot of the people that "vape" or whatever you wish to call it. Apologies if I semi hijacked the thread.

That said though, that is some absolutely great advice, and I do/will appreciate it when the time comes and my senses return.

I lost a brother from my former cop shop to smoking. He was an old school, true blue, "I'll take the bullet for you" cop who spent a good deal of his career as a decoy in what was known as the Granny Squad (if you know, you know).

They took a lobe out of one of his lungs secondary to lung CA. A few weeks post-discharge he was smoking again.

@Red Flag 1 is right; you either want to quit or you don't.

@BuckysBadger24 when you say you won't quit because you like it too much, what you're really saying is, "I'm addicted." I'm sure you know that, so man up and put the damn things down. That said, it's your life.

Your post beat mine, but of course you are correct. However I think liking it does have a slight difference over addiction after a time. Obviously I'm addicted, but I believe when someone wants to quit, they stop enjoying it, and the only reason whatsoever that they continue is because they have to. I haven't stopped enjoying it yet, hence me not wanting to quit.

If the point I just made makes any sense to you. I would understand if you said it didn't haha.

Your post beat mine, but of course you are correct. However I think liking it does have a slight difference over addiction after a time. Obviously I'm addicted, but I believe when someone wants to quit, they stop enjoying it, and the only reason whatsoever that they continue is because they have to. I haven't stopped enjoying it yet, hence me not wanting to quit.

If the point I just made makes any sense to you. I would understand if you said it didn't haha.

The short answer is you like it because you're addicted. That's the biochemistry of it.

By the way, the changes to the ventral tegmental area in your brain that began the addiction cycle started with your first cigarette.

The short answer is you like it because you're addicted. That's the biochemistry of it.

By the way, the changes to the ventral tegmental area in your brain that began the addiction cycle started with your first cigarette.

.... And no matter how I put it, it's a motherfucker either way. When it finally clicks in my head, in so many words "man up and just do it" is the only general advice any smoker looking to quit really needs. Believe me I know that everything else is on me. Funny how that small statement generally applies to just about every situation in life ain't it.

Yeah I absolutely can appreciate what you're saying @RedFlag1. I actually lurked that Kicking Tobacco thread to see what progress @Jay was making, and the difficulty of it really shown through. Yet another gem on this forum you wouldn't expect to see. I guess I misspoke, I'm not totally against any aids, I was just giving examples, but when I do decide to quit, I would like my first (and hopefully only) attempt to be cold turkey. That said, if I were to fail I would certainly consider using a smoking aid to get the means to an end. I just don't have the interest in doing so right now. I know in this day and age, with all the literature and obviousness of its effects, that sounds insane, but I don't know a better way to put it. My initial reason for making my statement was just to illustrate my feelings about a lot of the people that "vape" or whatever you wish to call it. Apologies if I semi hijacked the thread.

That said though, that is some absolutely great advice, and I do/will appreciate it when the time comes and my senses return.

I don't think you have "hijacked" the thread. In fact it would surprise me if tobacco use did not come up. When the time comes, I wish you the best of luck. If you want to chat about it a little more, feel free to pm me, and I'll help all I can.

@BuckysBadger24 - I'm a quitter. 27 years. Quit cold turkey because back then there were no "aids". Took me 2 years. Quit, start, quit, start... By the time it was over, I realized the physiological addiction was broken the very first time I quit, I just had a hard time quitting the habits. The hardest one was stress and the last one was drinking. I learned I had to replace the habits with something else. That said, even after all these years, there are times when I smell my drug of choice (Marlboro Greens) and well... I just have to remember I'm a quitter and proud of it.

LL

I don't think you have "hijacked" the thread. In fact it would surprise me if tobacco use did not come up. When the time comes, I wish you the best of luck. If you want to chat about it a little more, feel free to pm me, and I'll help all I can.

I really appreciate that and i think I'll definitely take you up on the offer when the time comes. I think many of the people I've seen try to quit, have had a lot of trouble because their support from family or friends isn't strong or said family can't stand the person trying to quit after a while (and working with the one co-worker, especially doing manual labor, left a lot to be desired. I mean, this guy took Nic fits to another level, no matter how much we tried to help him). Having a neutral support base could only help more and more the way I see it.

@BuckysBadger24 - I'm a quitter. 27 years. Quit cold turkey because back then there were no "aids". Took me 2 years. Quit, start, quit, start... By the time it was over, I realized the physiological addiction was broken the very first time I quit, I just had a hard time quitting the habits. The hardest one was stress and the last one was drinking. I learned I had to replace the habits with something else. That said, even after all these years, there are times when I smell my drug of choice (Marlboro Greens) and well... I just have to remember I'm a quitter and proud of it.

LL

It is amazing just how long the "want to" sticks with you. My grandfather was a 2 pack a day man for 40 years (Marlboro Lights were his choice, those damn Marlboros seem to be a theme here ha) and he just up and quit one day. No aids, no nothing, just threw them out and stopped. To this day he has no thoughts of it, and smoking around him doesn't bother him. My Uncle quit after about 15 years, (3 guesses as to what brand he smoked) using some nicotine patches, but only occasionally, and to this day if you even step on his property with a cigarette, and he catches a whiff of it, a serious reaming usually follows.

I suppose the key is just realizing that everything affects everyone differently, and if you are quitting, getting discouraged is failure.

By the way, congrats on being free of the beast for 27 years! That time without a relapse is always impressive.

LL
My smoking history was smoking for a few years then stop, cold turkey. After a 15 year break, I start again with pipe and cigars, then buying Marlboros within 2 weeks. Stopped using the Nicorette gum for two weeks. The last time I picked up was at a poker game with, what else, Bushmills and cigars. That lasted about three years of buying one pack at a time because I was "Quitting after this one....." I decided to try Chantix, even with all the side effects that I heard from folks who were still smoking:hmm:. Like I said earlier, the Chantix made it much easier, and I had zero side effects. I do not remember the last day I smoked, but it was about 15, or so, years ago. It all boils down to wanting to stop. I find I am very sensative to cigarette smoke. Driving around town, with the a/c on and windows up, I can smell it if someone lights up in the car ahead of me. I really do not like walking through designated smoking areas when entering a building.

Back