Post-combat diagnosis, counseling need support

When I came back (after 2 PHs) I was suppose to go to Bragg but instead diverted to Dix as a Drill Sgt. It was thought to be funny to distract a combat vet at the grenade range and watch his reaction when the first grenade went off. Or assign him to the middle of the night infill range at night when the machineguns and explosions went off. Bad feeling when the bullets started cracking by you. I was a nervous wreak when I got off that range my first time.

You wouldn’t think it would be a problem after 50 years. I’m on anti-depressants but I still have depression episodes that last 3 or 4 days and then I bounce back and I’m ok. Most coincide with events.

March and April every year are hard. I saw my teammate get murdered, shot point blank, full-auto, 13 rounds in the groin and thighs (below the flak jacket) by a counterpart LT, a green on blue while mobile to our night ambush site. That was in March. An insanely tense night.

In April half my team got hit and medevaced, including me, in a series of firefights on the night of April 24th, 1971; culminating in a command-detonated 105mm round that basically shredded my team leader.

April was bad. And it doesn’t help that in April of 1994 I got hit head-on by a drunk driver and once again air-lifted by helicopter to a hospital. Bad juju.

I’m lucky to have a good family…and normally I try to stay upbeat. But the past has ways of coming back at you, sometimes when you least expect it. For ever.

You wouldn’t think it would be a problem after 50 years. I’m on anti-depressants but I still have depression episodes that last 3 or 4 days and then I bounce back and I’m ok. Most coincide with events.
It is still a problem Gunz, so you aren't alone. For me 25 Aug 66. Company alerted that BN recon team had run into Charlie and we were to go in and pick up the bodies. Company choppered in and all was quiet. Got online to clear the area. Charley was waiting for us. 125 went in, 20 of us came out. By morning we were working on our 3rd CO. I had only been in country 2 months. By the time I left Nam I had picked up 2 PHs and a lot of team members on the Wall. Went back 2 years later and the same crap. Team members on the Wall again. That is why I live in the middle of my 20 acres, in the mountains of TN. Can't see my neighbors. I stay away from stores on holidays.

It is still a problem Gunz, so you aren't alone. For me 25 Aug 66. Company alerted that BN recon team had run into Charlie and we were to go in and pick up the bodies. Company choppered in and all was quiet. Got online to clear the area. Charley was waiting for us. 125 went in, 20 of us came out. By morning we were working on our 3rd CO. I had only been in country 2 months. By the time I left Nam I had picked up 2 PHs and a lot of team members on the Wall. Went back 2 years later and the same crap. Team members on the Wall again. That is why I live in the middle of my 20 acres, in the mountains of TN. Can't see my neighbors. I stay away from stores on holidays.

No words brother. My pops is a Nam vet, does not talk about it.

Ma was a Nam vet, a nurse, never, ever talked about it.

That is why I live in the middle of my 20 acres, in the mountains of TN. Can't see my neighbors. I stay away from stores on holidays.

Yes, sir. That's why I live in the middle of my 20 acres, in rural FL. Can't see my neighbors. Have a clear field of fire 360 and wired in tight. So many more of our Brothers have adopted a lifestyle of reclusion that it's normal.

Yes, sir. That's why I live in the middle of my 20 acres, in rural FL. Can't see my neighbors. Have a clear field of fire 360 and wired in tight. So many more of our Brothers have adopted a lifestyle of reclusion that it's normal.
That is why I live in the middle of my 20 acres, in the mountains of TN. Can't see my neighbors.
Only those that had boots on the ground would understand this.

I'm not a Nam vet, just a dude sick of society. I'd do it in a heart beat. Idaho or Montana.

You see your share of sick shit every day, young bro. Paramedics, cops, firefighters all get some level of PTSD sooner or later. Tell me I'm wrong. All it takes is one really fucked up event. But on the mean streets or in the warzone the shit piles up, event after event.

5.5 acres, middle of a forest. KD garden gnomes all over the place. Huge no trespassing signs… I get it.

You need some tripwires on those garden gnomes, bro.

You see your share of sick shit every day, young bro. Paramedics, cops, firefighters all get some level of PTSD sooner or later. Tell me I'm wrong. All it takes is one really fucked up event. But on the mean streets or in the warzone the shit piles up, event after event.

You need some tripwires on those garden gnomes, bro.
Have those as well as command detonated flash bangs and sting ball grenades.

Been thinking of that brother. Been reading alot about that AO.

I was lucky enough to head out to @Tinman6 and SuperwomanTinman6 at the end of January-- the area made me want to move there, is a super easy drive, made me love America even more. The air, the people, the population density -- all very good

Back