pre-action IV line

I used to see Medic 37 quite a bit. Their house was co-located with the 1st Police District and South Detective Division (my second home for a while).

The difference between Bucks medics and city medics is that the Bucks folks are way better at medical calls. The city guys run rings around Bucks with penetrating trauma because Philly is a knife and gun club, but the Bucks guys do better patient care on medical runs. They aren't as jaded. On the other hand, some--not all--of the Bucks guys can be protocol monkeys whereas we in Philly understand the protocols are more like guidelines :).

Yep. Because of the statewide protocols, many medics, especically the new ones are scared into thinking if they divert from protocols, they will get fucked. Thank god my 2 medical directors both are pro EMS and were paramedics before doctor. They believe supreme clinical decision making and patho phys education is the way to go and understand that the protocols ARE guidelines and that diversion is a possibility. I have diverted from standard many times for the care of the pt. But you know there are many interpetations to the protocols such as: combative pt. We are requested to contact base for sedation permission but I never do. The protocols also say if it is not safe, do it and contact later for which Doc J. supports.Anyhow, I agree with what Policemedic stated. It seems the medics that trained in the city do understand the knife and gun aspect but the medics that trained out here unless they work in the lower end of the area(like me) wherre we see some of that shit also but not to the extent of Rescue in the city.

F.M.

This is a super old thread, but really good stuff. Personally I place "pre-action" IVs in the same category as pre-applied TQs. I have definitely heard of units where thats SOP, but when I started to see TQs fail due to dry rot I leaned very far away from it. Thanks for digging this up @256!

This is a super old thread, but really good stuff. Personally I place "pre-action" IVs in the same category as pre-applied TQs. I have definitely heard of units where thats SOP, but when I started to see TQs fail due to dry rot I leaned very far away from it. Thanks for digging this up @256!

There’s not a whole bunch of places where you can ask Pararescuemen, 18Ds or a Doctor about their experiences.

Back