Pre-Commissioning (ROTC, OCS, West Point) Questions and Answers

I am a recent graduate(Dec 2010) of the NROTC Marine Option program and I would be more than willing to help out anyone looking for information on it. Just sent me a PM and I'll get back to you asap. I am currently at TBS so depending on when you send it may take a while for me to get back to you.

I am a recent graduate(Dec 2010) of the NROTC Marine Option program and I would be more than willing to help out anyone looking for information on it. Just sent me a PM and I'll get back to you asap. I am currently at TBS so depending on when you send it may take a while for me to get back to you.

Do the Marines still do it in a third tier system at TBS for branches? What are your top choices? What has your experiences been like at TBS (It's too late to move over to the Army, sorry). Care to expand on the Room of Pain at IOC?

Do the Marines still do it in a third tier system at TBS for branches? What are your top choices? What has your experiences been like at TBS (It's too late to move over to the Army, sorry)<--- Hahahaha! Move to the army:ROFLMAO:. Care to expand on the Room of Pain at IOC?

To answer your first question, yes we do. Its known as the Quality Spread. I would explain the way it works but this web site does a better job of it:

http://www.mymos.tbs.usmc.mil/MyMOS/Students_Staff/Process_Info.aspx

My top choices were Infantry, HumInt, Ground Intel, Armor and Sig Intel. I received Infantry. If you already know something about IOC then you probably also know that they like to keep all information about it locked up nice and tight.

To answer your first question, yes we do. Its known as the Quality Spread. I would explain the way it works but this web site does a better job of it:

http://www.mymos.tbs.usmc.mil/MyMOS/Students_Staff/Process_Info.aspx

My top choices were Infantry, HumInt, Ground Intel, Armor and Sig Intel. I received Infantry. If you already know something about IOC then you probably also know that they like to keep all information about it locked up nice and tight.

LOL good stuff there young Marine. Thank you for signing up to serve, especially in the Infantry.

I hope this is the proper place for this. I was planning on posting this in this forum anyway, then I found this thread near the top, so here goes.
Next year I'll be submitting a package for Seaman to Admiral - 21 (STA-21). The packages have to be postmarked NLT 01 JUL and by that time I'll be an E4 either waiting on orders to C-school or just getting into my C-school. My main concern is that I'll be up against many applicants with much more knowledge of the Fleet, quails, etc than I have. I've done some looking around in the forums on NKO and have found that it's not uncommon for 3rd classes to get picked up for the program, yet my concern still remains. The other issue is my age. I turn 30 in December and the 2 programs I'm interested in would require my BA to be obtained by the time I'm 35. They pay for your tuition & books as long as you can complete your degree in 3 years time. Will my age be a pro or a con with something like this?
In the civilian world, I've been in some sort of managerial position for the past 8 years or so leading up to my enlistment. I always seem to be looked upon for leadership and when placed in some kind of leadership position I've always excelled.
I guess that's it for now. If you need any more info about me or the program, just ask. I'll provide a link to the website below.
Thank you all for your time!

http://www.sta-21.navy.mil/program_overview.asp

When you say "will my age be a pro or con" do you mean for STA or for getting a degree? Personally, I think your maturity will be an asset when it comes to getting a degree. I was waaaaay more focused and mature when I was 30 than when I was 20, I think most people are. So in that regard, being a bit older could be an asset. How many credits do you already have?

When you say "will my age be a pro or con" do you mean for STA or for getting a degree? Personally, I think your maturity will be an asset when it comes to getting a degree. I was waaaaay more focused and mature when I was 30 than when I was 20, I think most people are. So in that regard, being a bit older could be an asset. How many credits do you already have?
Sorry. I meant will my age be pro/con when being viewed by the brass who select the guys for the program? I agree 100% on the age issue once I get into the class room. It's getting there through this program that is my concern.
I have 48 credits already.

SL, A good friend of mine, prior enlisted Navy Reservist (Russian Linguist) applied forthe SDO Intel position after a 12+ year break in service and he's 37 or 38. He didn't make it, not because of his age, but his duration out of uniform and the limited number of slots available. I think he's reapplied, but I wouldn't sweat your age. You have just under a year to submit your packet. Go out and bust your ass and prove to your Chiefs and COC that you are "The Man" in your unit for this program and earn their endorsements.

You can't change your age, but you can shape your odds and I'd worry about the latter, not the former which you don't control.

Sorry. I meant will my age be pro/con when being viewed by the brass who select the guys for the program? I agree 100% on the age issue once I get into the class room. It's getting there through this program that is my concern.
I have 48 credits already.

I went to OCS at age 28, and went there with several people who were older than you (41). The older ones were some of the most amazing Candidates. Your sailors won't care if you are 35, 45, 55, or 65.......take care of them, and lead them....they will follow.

Fucking shit, I thought I had posted the beginning of my personal statement here. I guess it didn't stay for some reason. Anyhow, here's what they want to see:

Format - plain bond paper; 10 or 12 pitch; on the top of the page center "Personal Statement"; paragraphs blocked or indented; keep it at one page; four lines below the last line of typing, add your full name, and signature above your name. A personally composed statement presenting reasons for desiring STA-21 participation and the applicant's professional/vocational intentions in a specific designator of the URL of the U.S. Navy. Comprehension of and motivation for a selected designator(s) of the URL are of significance to the selection board. (Exceptions: STA-21 CEC Option, STA-21 Supply Corps Option, STA-21 Special Duty Officer (Intelligence, Information Warfare, SWO/IP, SWO/OCEANO, and SWO/ED), Human Resources, Oceanography, STA-21 Medical and Nurse Corps Option applicants should address specific desires for their selected target group option. Address any other relevant information or substantial accomplishments not already covered. In addition, address any waiver requests, for example, age and time in service requirements, if applicable. Keep in mind, next to CO's Endorsement/recommendation, your personal statement is the most important document.

And here's what I have so far:

Attachments

• Personal Statement.pdf
    28.9 KB · Views: 11
Fucking shit, I thought I had posted the beginning of my personal statement here. I guess it didn't stay for some reason. Anyhow, here's what they want to see:

Format - plain bond paper; 10 or 12 pitch; on the top of the page center "Personal Statement"; paragraphs blocked or indented; keep it at one page; four lines below the last line of typing, add your full name, and signature above your name. A personally composed statement presenting reasons for desiring STA-21 participation and the applicant's professional/vocational intentions in a specific designator of the URL of the U.S. Navy. Comprehension of and motivation for a selected designator(s) of the URL are of significance to the selection board. (Exceptions: STA-21 CEC Option, STA-21 Supply Corps Option, STA-21 Special Duty Officer (Intelligence, Information Warfare, SWO/IP, SWO/OCEANO, and SWO/ED), Human Resources, Oceanography, STA-21 Medical and Nurse Corps Option applicants should address specific desires for their selected target group option. Address any other relevant information or substantial accomplishments not already covered. In addition, address any waiver requests, for example, age and time in service requirements, if applicable. Keep in mind, next to CO's Endorsement/recommendation, your personal statement is the most important document.

And here's what I have so far:

There was a glitch in the matrix and we lost a couple days' worth of posts.

I'll take a look at your statement and give you some feedback later tonight.

OK, so you were in AF ROTC and dropped out, and then enlisted in the Navy? Or did you do something else first?

OK, so you were in AF ROTC and dropped out, and then enlisted in the Navy? Or did you do something else first?

That's still to come in the personal statement. 8 years of retail management between leaving NC State Univ. and enlisting in the Navy.

OK, so I made a few changes. This thing can't be longer than a page, and I was getting into where I had been instead of where I want to go. So I'm trying to find a happy balance between "this is what I've done for the past 9 years to make me a good candidate" and "this is why I want to be selected and why I'd be an asset and this is what I know about the field I want to go into". Evidently, knowledge of the URL (Unrestricted Line = O designation) is a BIG deal. So, if you would, tell me what you think about what I have so far. I have some research to do before I waste any more key strokes on unneeded information in this statement.
Thank you, gents!!

Attachments

• Personal Statement.pdf
    31.6 KB · Views: 4
OK, I "finished" tonight and here's what I have. I know it needs to be tweaked here and there, but I want opinions on the overall statement. I can take constructive criticism as long as it's just that. I look forward to what you all have to say.

Attachments

• Personal Statement.pdf
    34.1 KB · Views: 9
Hello,
I have been in Army ROTC for about a month and a half now. Tuesday one of the Cadre members walked up to me in one of my classes and told me that I had be selected to go to the Leadership Training Course (LTC) for this summer, and then just walked away. I'm reading up on everything I can get my hands on about the course. Does anyone have any experience or tips for this course?

Thanks,

Skeeter

Leadership training course? Never heard of it. It that a fancy new name for "basic camp" or CTLT?

Back