Professional Social Media accounts

Lefty375

Ranger
Verified SOF
Are professional networking tools like LinkedIn considered a "plus" as a college student considering jobs like civilian intelligence, or do they limit job possibility? Haven't seen an updated opinion on this, just what I saw on another SOF forum a long time ago saying social media limits you.

Don't rely on it though. Networking in person and knowing which companies support which contracts for each customer is much better.

Depending on the customer you may want to keep your LinkedIn account a bit vague. There is a pretty sizable aggregation of intelligence professionals from LinkedIn pushed to a Wikileaks hosted ICWatch page.

One of the things those networks offer is common-reference people. If you can see someone you're interviewing with is connected to someone you know you've created some instant credibility with a reference.

One of the things those networks offer is common-reference people. If you can see someone you're interviewing with is connected to someone you know you've created some instant credibility with a reference.

Completely agree.

When looking at a prospective employee, not only do I first see how they present themselves in social media but also examine what peeps we have in common.

The Who You Know Network usually works well when hiring. This probably gets into illegal territory, but so do small business income taxes.

The accounts themselves are not a threat but the connections and content are...especially given the recent hacks and insider stuff that has occurred.

To be honest, there are zero benefits for a Intel pro to have a SM profile.

LinkenIn will give you one year free Prime Membership, ask for it just before you graduate.

ClearanceJobs has helped a few of my friends.

Do you FB? I have a general yuck, yuck, account; and another professional account (with 2 friends,LOL).

LinkenIn will give you one year free Prime Membership, ask for it just before you graduate.

ClearanceJobs has helped a few of my friends.

Do you FB? I have a general yuck, yuck, account; and another professional account (with 2 friends,LOL).

Sounds good, I'm going to start getting my LinkedIn account together. I have a FB account with a different name than mine and no friends, just use it to sign up for things that require a FB account. A post on another forum scared me into deleting all my social media years ago.

Many of my friends in the IC have been very successful in using LinkedIn to network their way into jobs.

Back