Professional Writing

OK I think I got the .pdf thing sorted. Attached are the slides and the briefing notes for the presentation I'm going to give on MIDLIFE tomorrow. The briefing notes will probably change slightly before the brief, and you'll just have to imagine my gratuitous green laser pointer use and how great I look in a suit ;) but here you go.

Attachments

• MIDLIFE Presentation 08MAR12.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • MIDLIFE Crisis Talking Points 08MAR12 redacted.pdf
    280.7 KB · Views: 3
I did the briefing this afternoon. It went OK, but in hindsight it was a bit too long and I relied to heavily on my notes. Next time I do the briefing I'm going to take out a couple of slides and just do talking points instead of writing out all of what I'm going to say.

I did the briefing this afternoon. It went OK, but in hindsight it was a bit too long and I relied to heavily on my notes. Next time I do the briefing I'm going to take out a couple of slides and just do talking points instead of writing out all of what I'm going to say.

um.... Mara, the highlighted, bold underlined, red word should be "too" ... Aren't you some sort of advanced degree candidate, for fuck's sake? Learn how to spell, Sir, or hire some NCOs to spell for you.... this is embarassing. :hmm::thumbsdown:

um.... Mara, the highlighted, bold underlined, red word should be "too" ... Aren't you some sort of advanced degree candidate, for fuck's sake? Learn how to spell, Sir, or hire some NCOs to spell for you.... this is embarassing. :hmm::thumbsdown:

Technically, shouldn't there be three of these? :D :p

Clearly, some hater came behind me and surreptitiously edited an error into my work... :D

For a short paper due at the end of the month, I have to write a five-year strategy for a contemporary "key leader" (interpreted broadly here to be anyone in a leadership position: sports franchise, military, government, education, non-profit/NGO, etc.).

I was considering "advising" the commander of SOCOM on a five-year plan to institute a centralized, command-wide, assessment/selection/training program for enablers. If my professor doesn't like that, I'm considering advising the commander of the Haqqani Network on how best to defeat the Americans and take over eastern Afghanistan after we leave. Any other suggestions?

The two leaders that came to my mind were Netanyahu and Ahmadinejad. You could choose the Israeli PM and advise him on Iran, perhaps. Or, pick Ahmadinejad and advise him on dealing with the US and/or the Israelis and Saudis.

I talked it over with my professor, and he recommended I do a general five-year plan for SOCOM. I'll be actively soliciting input on what you all think SOCOM should focus on for the next five years. Two things I'm going to specifically address are the enabler training program and whether or not SOF should be its own branch of service.

Am I the only person who writes papers anymore? :ehh: I know a lot of you guys are in school and/or write for professional journals, you should post up your work in this forum. It's educational for the rest of us, and you might get some constructive feedback on whatever it is you're working on.

Here is a paper I wrote for my Leadership class. We had to analyze a world leader in terms of his/her ability to overcome resistance and implement change. I chose Bismarck because I felt what he did in terms of uniting the German-speaking states of central Europe and crushing France was pretty impressive. It's also a cautionary tail about what happens when an organization is too personality-dependent.

Attachments

• The Brilliance of Bismarck redacted.pdf
    356.8 KB · Views: 3
I've got one I'll put up on Monday (it's on the uni computer). It's about being the NSA circa 2008 and having to write a briefing paper to Obama briefing him on the "war on terror" and how it's going. I had to cater a bit to the possibility that the lecturer might be a raging lefty but I think I still put enough in to raise his blood pressure if so lol.

Actually I roughly recall you posted something similar up once, Mara? Maybe my lecturer has borrowed your course outline lol.

OK here it is. It's kinda rubbish but I'd happy for some feedback. 1k words is really not enough for even a nibble at how the terrorism operation is going.

Attachments

• Briefing paperredacted.docx
    23.5 KB · Views: 7
Back