Publishing and Presenting Opportunities

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
Yale Journal of International Affairs is soliciting op-eds, articles, and book reviews. This is a great opportunity for those of you who have an interest in international relations policy (which is probably most of us, since it affects where we get sent and who we fight) and are looking to get published.

There are opportunities for publication both in the print and online versions, as per the instructions in the attachment. Although the Journal does attract some contributors who are pretty popular, you do not have to be a big-name academic or an IR celebrity to get published in the Journal. I think they are particularly looking for book reviews, so if you've read any good IR policy-related books lately, put your thoughts about it down on paper and send it in.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Yale Journal - Call for Submissions - Vol 7 Issue 1.pdf
    362.1 KB · Views: 6
Courtesy of Swashbuckler, who forwarded the info to me via email:

http://strategyconference.ca/

The 14th Annual Graduate Strategic Studies Conference will take place at the University of Calgary on February 10-11, 2012. We welcome submissions from university students at all levels, from Canada and beyond. For out-of-town students selected to present, funding assistance is available to offset travel costs. In addition, special rates will be available for the Hotel Alma located on the University of Calgary campus.
If you have done work on any topic related to security, strategy, or defence, and would like to submit it for consideration, please send a 250-word abstract, your contact information, and a short biography toinfo@strategyconference.ca.

Yes, I'm going to submit. My MIDLIFE paper got rejected by the civilian publication I submitted it to, but it was very well received at the conference in Ireland last month and at the DIA last year. So I'm going to do some editing to the article and see if the Canadians want to run it. It seems to play better with a military-familiar audience.

Also, if my school will front the money and if it doesn't conflict too badly with class, I'm going to see if I can come to the conference.

You never know, we don't have to high of standards. ;) Just kidding, I hope they accept it. The good thing is that time of year in Calgary, you never know what kind of weather you can expect and it's just a short drive from some awesome skiing.

Calgary is fantastic. Beautiful, as is most of what I saw of Canada. The trip would be well worth it.

Too bad I'm not a college student anymore. I think I would enjoy attending this.

Mara,

Are you going to submit?

I wonder if any one I know will be attending and I'll have to try to get a copy of the journal when they are published in the spring.

I got turned down for presenting at this conference, as did another active-duty Army officer in my program here at school. I guess this conference is SECRET//NOYANK ;)

Here's another presenting/publishing opportunity, this time in Ireland:

NOTICE OF CALL FOR PAPERS THE DEFENCE FORCES IN ASSOCIATION WITH NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF IRELAND MAYNOOTH
ACADEMIC CONFERENCE

“TAKING YOU A STAGE FURTHER…” MIILITARY EDUCATION IN THE 21ST CENTURY

Submissions are invited for papers to be presented at a conference that will take place in the Military College, Defence Forces Training Centre, Curragh Camp on 08 / 09 March 2012.

Marking the tenth year of the Defence Forces’ strategic education partnership with NUI Maynooth, this conference seeks to explore the requirements of military education in the second decade of the 21st Century. Papers could address issues such as; how do sociological, cultural, technological, environmental, ethical, economic factors combine with threat assessments and impact on military organisations? What are the consequences for induction, training and continuous career education? Is this a matter for the military alone or what requirement exists for greater civilian engagement? How do military organisations prepare themselves to conduct operations through a comprehensive approach?

Submissions of not more than 300 words should be submitted by 02 February 2012 To Commandant Mark Hearns at the Command and Staff School. Presentations should be between 20 and 25 minutes in length.

mark.hearns@defenceforces.ie

Command & Staff School
The Military College
Defence Forces Training Centre
Curragh Camp
Co Kildare
Ireland
+ 353 45 445192

Attachments

• CALL FOR PAPERS ACADEMIC CONFERENCE MIL COL IRE 08 O9 MARCH 12.pdf
    156.3 KB · Views: 1
Mara was it the one that starts "Are you a guy or a gal? ..."

lol, NO.

My real name is pretty gender-specific, since I used that instead of "mara" I think they're pretty sure as to my gender. ;)

This is the first cut on what I'm going to submit. I think I can make a good presentation for this conference out of my MIDLIFE paper. I'd like to present EXINT but I don't think it fits in with the goals of the conference.

/////

A comprehensive approach to military education includes an understanding of the fundamental aspects of the ways in which nation-states and other organizations exercise power and influence both domestically and internationally. The most significant elements of organizational influence are: military, information, diplomacy, legal, identity, financial, and economic (MIDLIFE).

In a “networked” world increasingly influenced by non-state actors including non-governmental agencies, organized crime syndicates, international commercial conglomerates, mass media outlets, and super-empowered individuals, MIDLIFE serves as a comprehensive base for understanding the complex interplay between international actors. Familiarization with the elements of MIDLIFE will enable modern military professionals to understand the value of a “network” method of warfighting and a “whole of government” approach to the deterrence of, and when required victory in, modern warfare.

lol, NO.

My real name is pretty gender-specific, since I used that instead of "mara" I think they're pretty sure as to my gender. ;)

This is the first cut on what I'm going to submit. I think I can make a good presentation for this conference out of my MIDLIFE paper. I'd like to present EXINT but I don't think it fits in with the goals of the conference.

/////

A comprehensive approach to military education includes an understanding of the fundamental aspects of the ways in which nation-states and other organizations exercise power and influence both domestically and internationally. The most significant elements of organizational influence are: military, information, diplomacy, legal, identity, financial, and economic (MIDLIFE).

In a “networked” world increasingly influenced by non-state actors including non-governmental agencies, organized crime syndicates, international commercial conglomerates, mass media outlets, and super-empowered individuals, MIDLIFE serves as a comprehensive base for understanding the complex interplay between international actors. Familiarization with the elements of MIDLIFE will enable modern military professionals to understand the value of a “network” method of warfighting and a “whole of government” approach to the deterrence of, and when required victory in, modern warfare.

You coming over here again?

If you guys will have me. I had a very good experience with both NUI and the Irish military when I was over there last time, and I don't think you and I had quite enough Guinness ;) Besides, I still owe you a coin...

If you guys will have me. I had a very good experience with both NUI and the Irish military when I was over there last time, and I don't think you and I had quite enough Guinness ;) Besides, I still owe you a coin...

Hopefully You'll have some more down time too. :thumbsup:

Hopefully You'll have some more down time too. :thumbsup:

lol, that would be nice. The conference is on a THURS and a FRI, depending on what my class schedule ends up looking like next semester, I might not be able to come even if I get invited :(

OK, another set of presenting opportunities, this time in the UK. It's at Cranfield University, which I'm not familiar with:

http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/cds/symposia/sskw.html

The 5th Spatial Sociocultural Knowledge Workshop

Event date: 19 June 2012
Event end date: 19 June 2012
Defence Academy of the United Kingdom - Shrivenham

Enhancing situational awareness and understanding for stabilisation and disaster relief operations

Aim

To provide a forum to bring together experts from the stabilisation, disaster relief and geospatial communities to develop the case for a shared understanding of how geography can be used to support stabilisation and disaster relief operations.

Objectives

To investigate the need for a shared geospatial framework in anticipation of stabilisation and disaster relief operations
  • What is required
  • What exists
  • How to organise it
  • Who authorises it
To investigate the challenges in achieving a shared geography during the planning, conduct and evaluation of stabilisation and disaster relief operations
  • How to provide and share it
  • How to get it to those who need it most quickly
  • How to ensure it is relevant, current, can be updated, and still authoritative
  • How to make it available to non-expert users

Who should attend?

Stabilisation operations combine military, political and development actions. The workshop will be of interest to subject experts in the fields of stabilisation and humanitarian support, geospatial providers and academics. Participants will have an opportunity to exchange ideas with practitioners in the various fields represented, offer challenges to the experts and learn about developments in the field of geospatial support to the stabilisation community.
The format of the workshop will consist of a combination of presentations and facilitated discussions.

Call for presentations

Proposals for presentations, based on one or more of the Workshop objectives, are invited from interested parties. Please provide an abstract of a maximum of 250 words to Susan Enscore (Susan.I.Enscore@usace.army.mil) by Friday 17 February 2012.

You may also be interested in:
For further information please contact:

Lynn Anderson.
Symposia Organiser
MH23, Defence Academy of the United Kingdom, Shrivenham, Swindon, SN6 8LA.

Back