Question about Finland's SOF

Yes Utti is the place for the Army Airborne guys. They are an attachment unit, and work with the normal jaegers, for example securing vital enemy personnel , tactically important locations etc. Also enemy’s fighting enemy SOF is their job. These guys are divided in to 2 sections, Airborne and Long range reconnance.

Army also has 1 recon unit (18 men) per company, who are responsible for gathering intel for friendly troops and slowing enemy`s movement. These guys are divided in 2 section, armoured and non-armoured. Armoured recon uses “help” in their movement, where non-armoured moves strictly by foot far behind enemy lines (usually some 20-50 km). These are also called as “Sissi” in Finnish, and hold great pride in their guerrilla warfare tactics. These recon team members are ranked sergeant or higher. One team is formed by 6 men; team leader (2nd LT or higher), co-leader(SGT), sniper pair and 2 other soldiers.

Then the Navy. It’s basically the same as the Army, but the difference is the tip of the spear. Where the army has Airborne troops, Navy has Frogmen, trained in shoreline garrison of Upinniemi, some 40(?) km west of Helsinki. They also are divided in 2 sections, combat divers and Utility(for lack of a better word) divers. “Utility” divers responsibility is setting up and clearing mines, sabotage etc., when combat divers are strictly a “fighting force”. Under them, there is also these same recon teams.

Also the Finnish Border guard trains their own forces, just called border jaegers. Police forces have their own team, called Karhu-ryhmä (Bear squad).

Also I have to make a statement, though probably only Utti Reg. And Frogmen come anywhere near the International SOF (SOCOM,SAS,GROM), every soldier in the army are highly trained in guerrilla warfare, camouflage and marksmanship, which is purely based in the Finnish landscape and the lack of numbers of our soldiers.

So there some info about Finnish SOF. If there is more info you guys want, I would be more than glad to assist you. BTW I also have pics and videos from exercises etc. so if anybody want to see them, just let me know. I post a couple of them here.

Yes and sorry for bad English.

And BTW, I should not be telling this by army`s laws, but for your eyes only :)

A list from Wikipedia - FDF Elite units:

-Erillinen Pataljoona 4 (Continuation War)
-Karhu Ryhmä (Bear Squad)
-Sissikomppaniat
-Utti Jaeger Regiment
-Taistelusukeltajat ("Combat divers")

Got some pics, but not sure if they are FDF:

Great post Fionlannach ! Thanks for the infos.
Stay safe.

EDIT:

from the oficial Jaeger webpage:

New NH90 helicopters will be received in Utti in early 2006. 20 pieces of the new NH90 helicopters will be operationally ready by the beginning of next decade. The Utti Army Aviation base offers outstanding facilities for the new helicopters. Both the Utti garrison and the training areas nearby form an optimal and cost efficient combination for the helicopter training system. The main focus in the future will be put into the combined operations with helicopters and army special forces.

ROCK ON ! :D

the pics

here some

Attachments

• RanJV4.jpg
    RanJV4.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Sukeltajat.jpg
    Sukeltajat.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Jääkäri1.jpg
    Jääkäri1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Raja.jpg
    Raja.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Utti1.jpg
    Utti1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 115
I did some training back in 1998 near Klaipeda on the western coast of Lithuania with some Finnish troops. Good bunch of guys.

They were squared away. Asked good questions in the class we were teaching in relation to US vs their doctrine. Bit more relaxed than most small US Marine units, but I have found that to be true of most euro troops.

A list from Wikipedia - FDF Elite units:

-Erillinen Pataljoona 4 (Continuation War)
-Karhu Ryhmä (Bear Squad)
-Sissikomppaniat
-Utti Jaeger Regiment
-Taistelusukeltajat ("Combat divers")

Got some pics, but not sure if they are FDF:

Yes, the first one on that wiki list is an ww2 era unit.

I see US weaponry, so they can`t be... but here is some of our guys...

Attachments

• sukeltaja.jpg
    sukeltaja.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 129
  • RanJV3.jpg
    RanJV3.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Tarkka2.jpg
    Tarkka2.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 124
  • Dragunov.jpg
    Dragunov.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Talvi.jpg
    Talvi.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 125
Yes, these guys are from Utti. Watching the camo those guys have, I guess this is from mid 90`s. Oh and I found a clip from youtube, which has some other "elite force"...

Yes Utti is the place for the Army Airborne guys. They are an attachment unit, and work with the normal jaegers, for example securing vital enemy personnel , tactically important locations etc. Also enemy’s fighting enemy SOF is their job. These guys are divided in to 2 sections, Airborne and Long range reconnance.

Airborne Jaeger Company
Trains parajägers, concrpts, but is only for volunteers and has an tight entry exam.
They are trained the basic skills of an SOF operator.

Special Jaeger Company
Consists of specialjägers, enlisted men with advanced training as SOF operator.
They are mostly but not all former parajägers, even tighter entry exam is open to all services in FDF.

Utti is also the center of Military police training that is given in all arms of FDF.
Military police specialize in protecting strategic personnel/installations and destroying enemy SOF.

Army also has 1 recon unit (18 men) per company, who are responsible for gathering intel for friendly troops and slowing enemy`s movement. These guys are divided in 2 section, armoured and non-armoured. Armoured recon uses “help” in their movement, where non-armoured moves strictly by foot far behind enemy lines (usually some 20-50 km). These are also called as “Sissi” in Finnish, and hold great pride in their guerrilla warfare tactics. These recon team members are ranked sergeant or higher. One team is formed by 6 men; team leader (2nd LT or higher), co-leader(SGT), sniper pair and 2 other soldiers.

You are mixing batallion level recon platoons with brigade level recon companies, the latter are the ones operating in that debth.

There are also recon AND sissi companys.

Recon is more of a LRRP unit, mainly gathering intel and controlling long range artillery.
They operate in small squads.

Sissi troops have a more active role in engaging enemy in guerilla tactics.
They usually operate in platoon to batallion size.

They are conscripts and dont have an entry exam but are chosen based on their skills on civilian life and abilities shown during basic training.

Then the Navy. It’s basically the same as the Army, but the difference is the tip of the spear. Where the army has Airborne troops, Navy has Frogmen, trained in shoreline garrison of Upinniemi, some 40(?) km west of Helsinki. They also are divided in 2 sections, combat divers and Utility(for lack of a better word) divers. “Utility” divers responsibility is setting up and clearing mines, sabotage etc., when combat divers are strictly a “fighting force”. Under them, there is also these same recon teams.

Combat divers are trained in the same division as in Utti Jäger Regiment.

Concripts are volunteer that have to pass an tight exam to get on the course.
They are trained the basic skills of SOF.

After concript service they can apply to enlist for the Navy SOG with advanced SOF skills.

Navy also trains Coastal jägers in "force recon" role for the maritime enviroment.

Also the Finnish Border guard trains their own forces, just called border jaegers.

Border Guard belongs under the ministry of interior, like Karhu-ryhmä (Bear squad), but during war time functions as part of FDF.

They train Borderjägers, concripts, that are all volunteers, in Sissi and LRRP role without entry exams but with strict qualifications.

They also train Special borderjägers, also concripts but with a tight entry exam, trained in basic SOF skills.

Border Guard has also platoons of enlisted Special borderjägers with advanced SOF training.

Police forces have their own team, called Karhu-ryhmä (Bear squad).

Karhu specializes in anti terrorist and hostage operations but is also to my knowledge an allround SOF.

Also I have to make a statement, though probably only Utti Reg. And Frogmen come anywhere near the International SOF (SOCOM,SAS,GROM), every soldier in the army are highly trained in guerrilla warfare, camouflage and marksmanship, which is purely based in the Finnish landscape and the lack of numbers of our soldiers.

The enlisted parts of Special jägers, Combat divers, Special border jägers and Karhu are the active operators of Finland SOF. Im not going to guess "whos best", they cross train and share experiences between each other and international partners. I also wouldnt underestimate the concript/reserve parts of the Finnish SOF family, they are trained based on experiences of these units. But i wouldnt say every soldier in the entire army is highly trained in guerilla warfare, they are trained the basics. I agree that the marksmanship in the army is generally of good level.

And BTW, I should not be telling this by army`s laws, but for your eyes only

You really didnt say anything not public knowledge.:)

All of the weapons, equipment and mission(s) MTOE are restricted to the "Special Jaeger" regiment. Some of the gear / weapons are issued to a few elite units of the Navy and some with other groups including the "Karhu". The Helos, gear and missions demo point to only one unit and that is the "Special Jaegers" or Yeager (my favorite name) unit at Utti. Some of the other units have a MOUT tasking and a Urban warfare mission with explosive breachers assigned however the military CT / HR role belong to the Special Jaegers (to the best of my knowledge). Although it should be stated that the Karhu hold the primary HRT role and they are an arm of the National Police. My information relative to them is pre-2003. They are stationed in Helsinki. We worked with them years a ago as well on contract. We can't post any of those pics or of their Swimmers as they specifically requested us not to do so. These are pictures were at public event in Finland at the "Special Yeagers". This is a open house when we were in the area working with other folks. May 2008 These personnel are considered the "Special Forces" of Finland. I was told that they must volunteer for a three year commitment to serve professionally with this group. We associated with serving members currently. We have also worked with them in the past as well. They are Airborne qualified and on jump status and receive special training far beyond that of the normal conscript... similar in breakdown, mission and content to the US Army Rangers. They are stationed at Utti in Finland.

PICT0034.JPGPICT0038.JPGPICT0040.JPGPICT0041.JPGPICT0043.JPGPICT0046.jpgPICT0049.JPGPICT0033.JPG http://www.puolustusvoimat.fi/fi/

Here's an article as well I wrote sometime ago relative to this topic in general. We continue to maintain a relationship with many of the units. Great guys one and all, very professional as well as a hellva lot of fun. many good times over the years.
http://www.imtt.net/articles/article3.html

This was / is their new chopper purchased by Finland and finally received after a 3 year delay. These pics were taken in Finland on May 15th 2008. These aircraft at the time were restricted to Utti Special Yeager reg but it is my understanding they have been used now country wide. There has also been some problems with additional purchases and other logistical matters concerning these birds. These were taken while we were there on another project.

NH-90
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHIndustries_NH90
http://www.shephardmedia.com/news/rotorhub/finnish-nh90-helicopters-demonstrate-ope/
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=...the_Finnish_NH90_procurement_of_1998-2008.pdf

PICT0059.jpgPICT0025.jpgPICT0028.jpgPICT0029.jpg

As of last report (2011) they were using Israeli Tactics and Techniques with regard to small arms and basic warfare raid MOUT methods. They are called "Special Forces" however they are more focused on Urban warfare, CT role and UW. Mainly DA troops with other assorted tasking. Very similar to and equipped and trained most closely to US Rangers. I'm unaware of their blue water capabilities or a skill-set for this at all. I know they possess kayaks and a brown water capability. The Aqua commandos are more like our NAVSPECWAR folks. They possess a very reduced and dated inventory of shoulder fired surface to air missiles. This is common knowledge and open source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Jaegers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utti_Jaeger_Regiment
https://docs.google.com/viewer?

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.tekes.fi/fi/gateway/PTARGS_0_201_403_994_2095_43/http%3B/tekes-ali1%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/programmes/turvallisuus/documents/seminaariaineistot/2011/u_s__finland_def__and_sec__ind__days/valtonen_fi_usa_industry_2011.pdf

I'm not seeing any of the pictures you posted. Just picture-sized white boxes with the red "x" in the top left corner.

Back