Question about The Battle of Lang Vei

Jaknight

I have a couple of question I hope could be answered. I have tried googling it and using the search function as well to no avail. During the Battle of Lang Vei I read that the Green Berets called for Aid from the Marines yet were denied and that General Westmoreland had to Order them to aid the Green Berets. First off is this true? My other question is what was the reason for the denial and did it cause any riff between the branches?

Col Lownds felt certain that the relief company would be ambushed on the overland route to the Lang Vei camp. Not unreasonable since there were, at that time, three NVA divisions around Khe Sanh. The alternative, to helo lift the relief force wasn't feasible because the enemy had tanks in the field. And further, Lownds was convinced--again with some justification--that the Khe Sanh combat base was next.

But there was fallout. The relationship between Westmoreland and the Marines, somewhat strained at the best of times, was further eroded.

It has to be noted though, that the unprecedented appearance of enemy armor on the battlefield came as a shock to both Army and Marine leadership...and contributed to a pervading sense of gloom in the command bunker at the combat base, which was itself cutoff from reinforcements.

It's easy to second guess years after. Personally, I feel something should've been attempted in spite of the risks but who knows what would've happened.

Last edited:
Back