Tomb of the Unknown Soldier - question

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
For no particular reason I went down a video rabbithole today watching the changing of the guard and general history about this unique memorial.

I've never observed Soldiers so incredibly disciplined and was fascinated by the teamwork that goes into preparing their uniforms for inspection prior to taking their 30 minute post.

There are countless videos on YouTube of them 'correcting' civilians who are showing disrespect or venture too close to one of the designated boundaries, My question is this....what if?

What if the verbal correction is not enough to cause someone to turn around. Are the Sentinels authorized to use 'any means necessary' to eject trespassers or prevent someone from cause damage to the Memorial?

I didn't post any of the videos because they just make me hate people; especially the one literally swimming in the WW2 Memorial Pool.

I found this We Are The Mighty article that mentions a story of a maintenance worker being cross checked by a Sentinel for leaning on the Tomb, but that's it.

I imagine they'd contact the Arlington PD. I remember seeing officers present near there when I visited over the summer.

Is there a current/former Sentinel on SS?

If you check YouTube you will find a number of cases of individuals and groups being called out in a professional manner.

If you check YouTube you will find a number of cases of individuals and groups being called out in a professional manner.
Yep, I’ve watched those. My question goes past that to the “what if” the public shaming is not enough, or someone is intent in disrupting the ceremony or causing damage.

Yep, I’ve watched those. My question goes past that to the “what if” the public shaming is not enough, or someone is intent in disrupting the ceremony or causing damage.

Being that the guards, at the tomb do not have ammo, do a search on the 947th MP MWD Detachment.

Back