Questions and concerns about being eligible for RASP 2

Moshah2008

Unverified
Hello,

My name is Mo.

I am US national who is about to complete my my medical education abroad in Pakistan.

My ultimate goal is to be attached to a USASOC unit most particularly to the 75th Ranger Regiment by going through RASP 2

I have a few concerns I would humbly like to address.

1. I read the RASP prescreening form and there are 2 items that my be problematic for me.
Did you ever get suspended or expelled from a school or university? For me YES. In 5th grade I threatened to hurt a fellow student who was bullying me. Was suspended for two week but all throughout middle school or high school no disciplinary problems with me.

Did you ever get fired from a job or quit for fear of being dismissed? For me yes
When I was 18 i took merchandise from my employer and was caught. Later all items were returned as well as monetary reimbursement given. I was never arrested or went in front of a judge or charged with anything. I was very lucky. I take full responsibility for it. No good reason or excuse besides I was stupid and young and made a bad decision.

I would like to make one thing clear I am not posting here to see how I can "game" the system. I will put exactly what I wrote above on the form if, hopefully I ever get to the point of going into RASP after spending a few years in the Army and working hard and than going to RASP. Not going to lie about it. I just wanted some advice. Does the above mean that I shouldn't even apply. Are these disqualifying offenses even though they were almost a decade or more ago? If I do get denied do these statements stay with the Regiment or can it effect my other opportunities in the Army if I can't get into RASP?
On top of the Form it says that it can be used in a criminal proceeding if need be, meaning the form itself. Can I get into trouble for being honest about what happened on the RASP prescreening form?

Also I am a US citizen who has lived abroad and studied for 7 years mom and dad live in the US but visit pakistan periodically. Don't have any property to my name. Am not apart of any political or social movement or group here.

How will this effect me getting a security clearance and what level do i need to be an officer in the regiment?

Thanks
Mo

To be totally honest, I think you should worry about getting into the military first. I think there are maybe 4 physicians in regiment, if that, and I don't think they are first LT's.

Worry about getting in the Army, then becoming the best provider you can be. You still have residency, I'd be more worried about that.

Mo,

From what I gather, you are completing Medical School in a country outside CONUS. It sounds like you may be in Pakistan for your education. Have you looked at requirements for you to be able to practice here in the USA? Is it your plan to enter the US Army as a Medical Corps Officer?
Yes I have to complete a residency in a civilian setting than I'm eligible to join the Medical corps

To be totally honest, I think you should worry about getting into the military first. I think there are maybe 4 physicians in regiment, if that, and I don't think they are first LT's.

Worry about getting in the Army, then becoming the best provider you can be. You still have residency, I'd be more worried about that.
I understand completely sir. my plan is to join through AMED become a medical officer serve in a conventional unit for two years and like you said be the best provider I can be. Than try for the 75th rangers. I'm simply asking with the above mentioned concerns about my past is it still feesible or should I abandon the goal?

I understand completely sir. my plan is to join through AMED become a medical officer serve in a conventional unit for two years and like you said be the best provider I can be. Than try for the 75th rangers. I'm simply asking with the above mentioned concerns about my past is it still feesible or should I abandon the goal?

I think you should wait, serve honorably and well in the Army, then worry about going to Regiment when your time is here.

You aren't even a doctor yet. What if you get a residency in oncology, or PEDS, or ophthalmology? Regiment might not even want you.

I also wonder if regiment has anything under a BN surgeon, which is probably a Major slot, and a PA.

I think you should wait, serve honorably and well in the Army, then worry about going to Regiment when your time is here.

You aren't even a doctor yet. What if you get a residency in oncology, or PEDS, or ophthalmology? Regiment might not even want you.

I also wonder if regiment has anything under a BN surgeon, which is probably a Major slot, and a PA.
Sir I understand I will take your advice but still strive for this goal just take it one step at a time

Why do you say that sir?
I don't think it's going to work out for you, too many variables. You have not yet done your residency, you haven't joined the army yet, you haven't tried to apply for a security clearance yet either (I assume).

The odds aren't stacked in your favor.

Last edited:
I don't think it's going to work out for you.l, too many variables. You have not yet done your residency, you haven't joined the army yet, you haven't tried to apply for a security clearance yet either (I assume).

The odds aren't stacked in your favor.
Understood so first residency than join than get all security clearances in order and than try?

Understood so first residency than join than get all security clearances in order and than try?

Then?

I hate to be the grammar guy, but dude, you are about to graduate medical school, then commission as an officer in the US Army. Come on man.

Back