Ranger to West Point

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you actually thought there was any possibility at all that I am a cadet, you and I probably don't need to talk after all.
A switched on recruit looking at USMA/Rangers would probably have a look at who they were interacting with (especially one offering the sort of access Mara was) before asking redundant questions. A really switched on recruit would cop to making a fuck up, instead of making excuses.
You're right, I probably should have picked up on the fact that he couldn't have been a cadet, but I didn't. I should have checked his profile, but I didn't.

You're right, I probably should have picked up on the fact that he couldn't have been a cadet, but I didn't. I should have checked his profile, but I didn't.

What do you think your chances are of being appointed to a Service Academy?

What do you think your chances are of being appointed to a Service Academy?
Honestly I don't know. I don't think I am top of the pack, but I am definitely competitive. I have a 4.8 weighted GPA right now. I'm on track to take above the required classes needed for West Point. I think Annapolis has either exactly or mostly the same required classes. I am pretty good at track and field, and I plan on starting football next fall. As of right now, it looks like I will be the CO of our MCJROTC unit at our school my Senior year, which should help. I am going to do Boys State and will apply for National Honors Society when the application comes. I think you need to be a Sophomore to join that though.

And if anyone knows what I can improve upon or do more of to make me more competitive, please let me know.

Are you a cadet or faculty? If I am ever up there anytime soon I will for sure let you know. I shadowed an advanced math class and then a Military Science class at trophy point. A Staff Sergeant was teaching that one I think. We were at Trophy Point playing with radios. I feel bad for you guys with the constant bus loads of foreign tourists.

You did not say the bolded part... did you?

I met quite a few former enlisted there, and I am quite new to SS and hadn't looked at your account, so obviously I would have had no clue.

I looked at it as soon as I replied to him. Thanks for the advice.

Look first, always look first.

I am sorry that it came off as offensive. We were using radios to talk to other classes, not "playing" with them like I had mentioned. Thank you for correcting me.

Shush... just shush.

Honestly I don't know. I don't think I am top of the pack, but I am definitely competitive. I have a 4.8 weighted GPA right now. I'm on track to take above the required classes needed for West Point. I think Annapolis has either exactly or mostly the same required classes. I am pretty good at track and field, and I plan on starting football next fall. As of right now, it looks like I will be the CO of our MCJROTC unit at our school my Senior year, which should help. I am going to do Boys State and will apply for National Honors Society when the application comes. I think you need to be a Sophomore to join that though.

shush more... a lot more.

And if anyone knows what I can improve upon or do more of to make me more competitive, please let me know.

You do know there are whole websites designed to let people know how to be more competitive in getting an appointment to a Service Academy, right?

Young Man... take the advice given you on multiple threads, and sew your fingers together so you cannot type any more inanities.

You've pissed off a SEAL, an Army 0-5 instructor at USMA, and numerous others so far... are you that clueless as to what you are doing to any shred of credibility you have remaining?

OK, since you asked...

As someone who served in multiple SOF assignments directly supporting the Rangers in combat, and as a multi-year USMA instructor, I think you lack the maturity, situational awareness, and judgment to be successful in either the Regiment or at West Point.

In this thread you come across as arrogant, entitled, shallow, and petty. You respond poorly to correction and it seems all you want to do is talk about how great you are now (in high school :rolleyes:) and how great you are going to be in the Army. "Ummm... cool story, bro." Worst of all, you seem utterly unaware of anyone else around you. That is a TERRIBLE trait for an officer.

I'm not going to hinder your efforts to get into SOF or USMA in any way. In fact, in a day or two I will have forgotten all about you. But at the same time, I'm not going to try to help you anymore. And I'm not sure many other members here will want to, either.

"Real talk" is hard. "Big Boy Rules" mean you take responsibility for your actions. You better get used to both if you want to move in either of the communities you mentioned in your first post.

You can either learn from this experience and let it motivate you to prove me wrong, or you can keep doing what you're doing. Personally, I suspect it will be the latter. Let me know how that works out for you.

Fellow ShadowSpear members, I wash my hands of this one.

@Marauder06 I couldn't figure out how to quote just a small portion of what you wrote on this computer, but he asked what I thought my chances are, so I answered them honestly. I'm not trying to undersell myself and where I am at in high school. I'm not a genius, and I struggle in several subjects, but I know what I am capable of. When I said I am "pretty good" at track, that came from other peoples mouths before I repeated it here. I don't remember saying anything along the lines of "I'm going to be great in the Army", or anything that someone could take as that because I am obviously not in the military, so I wouldn't know.

Trying to be humble to point of making yourself look worse than you already are is a stupid thing to do especially when applying to a school like USMA. I'm not bragging by any means here, and I try not to do it as a whole. I didn't say "Haha look at me I have a 4.8 GPA haha everyone else in the universe sucks", I said "I have a 4.8 weighted GPA" because that is what I have. If that is being arrogant and entitled to you, then we are just going to have to disagree. I'm not going to lie about myself when asked those kinds of questions.

Also, you completely missed the first sentence of my OP. You asked me "Have you gone for an in-person visit", when my first sentence literally reads "I recently got to shadow a (C)adet at West Point for a day", so I think that it is a bit irrational when you say that you and I shouldn't speak after all when I ask a dumb question. Yes I get we make mistakes, and mine are especially present in the few threads I've made the mistake of sharing my meaningless opinions on, but it makes you look like you didn't even read my OP. And yes, I see the irony in that last sentence. Adios, Shadow Spear.

@Marauder06 I couldn't figure out how to quote just a small portion of what you wrote on this computer, but he asked what I thought my chances are, so I answered them honestly. I'm not trying to undersell myself and where I am at in high school. I'm not a genius, and I struggle in several subjects, but I know what I am capable of. When I said I am "pretty good" at track, that came from other peoples mouths before I repeated it here. I don't remember saying anything along the lines of "I'm going to be great in the Army", or anything that someone could take as that because I am obviously not in the military, so I wouldn't know.

Trying to be humble to point of making yourself look worse than you already are is a stupid thing to do especially when applying to a school like USMA. I'm not bragging by any means here, and I try not to do it as a whole. I didn't say "Haha look at me I have a 4.8 GPA haha everyone else in the universe sucks", I said "I have a 4.8 weighted GPA" because that is what I have. If that is being arrogant and entitled to you, then we are just going to have to disagree. I'm not going to lie about myself when asked those kinds of questions.

Also, you completely missed the first sentence of my OP. You asked me "Have you gone for an in-person visit", when my first sentence literally reads "I recently got to shadow a (C)adet at West Point for a day", so I think that it is a bit irrational when you say that you and I shouldn't speak after all when I ask a dumb question. Yes I get we make mistakes, and mine are especially present in the few threads I've made the mistake of sharing my meaningless opinions on, but it makes you look like you didn't even read my OP. And yes, I see the irony in that last sentence. Adios, Shadow Spear.

Point one in red; "we all make mistakes". Ture enough, you have not learned from yours and they continue.
Point two in red: "Adios, Shadow Spear" This might be a good thing for a while.
Point three : Like all the threads you have been making comments on, this one is going sideways and has become inane. Time to put it to bed.

Last edited:
Are we really arguing with a 16 year old on the Internet? Is that what we want to do. Honestly @Jackflerp you will probably quit any selection process you attend, you are smart so you understand probability. You will probably fail. The odds are completely stacked against you. And you seem hard to like, which makes it even more difficult.

To be honest none of us care if you make it, you are here to use our site for info, then you will be gone, never returning the favor. You certainly won't be back when you wash out, like 80-90% of guys do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back