Rangers or SF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Major was Marketing Management. I have a minor in Political Science and graduated with a 3.9 gpa. PM inbound.

One thing I'll add publicly is that your number two and three questions I have already answered, it's only the branch I need to decide on. If I choose Marines then it's going to be as an officer and try for Infantry. If I choose Army then I'm enlisting with the goal of pursuing spec ops, probably Rangers.

Wow!

A 23 yo with a Marketing degree who knows everything! And it only took you 5 years to accomplish that, that's impressive.

Why ask for advice if you dismiss and disregard everything presented to you? These gentlemen have taken their precious time to give you, a total stranger, words of wisdom in a field where they are SME's*. You know absolutely nothing about the military; they have seen more, done more and experienced more than your imagination can conjure. Some of them have lived through stuff your worst nightmare would cringe from.

*SME = Subject matter expert. Because I wouldn't want to be accused of using unknown military terminology.

Your words from another thread:
My reasons for joining. I'm very patriotic and want to serve my country first and foremost. I think it would be exciting and adventurous and a great leadership opportunity. I'm attracted to the camaraderie. I simply think I would enjoy it and be good at it.

Wow. Again.

You worked hard to string together that para. A lot of thought and eloquence crammed into those 46 words.

Well, guess what? Joining the military isn't fun most of the time, and it isn't adventurous or enjoyable. But when you're cold, hungry, wet and haven't slept for more than a few hours at a time in a month, (did I mention, really hungry?), I'm sure those words will warm you and keep the hunger at bay.

But what do I know, hmmm? I was just a pogue, a female, and not on the front lines or in special operations. Wrong - I've been hungry, cold, and tired, all while still performing my job. Because ALL jobs in the military, esp the Army or Marines involve cold, wet, nasty, miserable environments. And guess what? That's where you'll end up too - back in support, maybe clerical, because you've got a bit of intelligence, at least enough to get a degree, although nowadays, you'll probably end up as a bullet magnet. Know why you'll end up there? You don't have the strength of character to do what these gents did. You'll wash out. You can bluster and try to bullshit, but I've known this caliber of men for longer than you've been alive and they don't bluster, bullshit, or ignore/disrespect advice given to them.

If you were serious about your patriotism and your desire to join the military, you'd have signed on the dotted line long before today. You'd have done your research, made up your own mind without whining and headed straight for that 25m target - Basic Training. Which by the way, is where I spent my 19th birthday. One of the best and most memorable birthdays of my life.

There's a lot of leadership opportunity in Basic Training. I encourage you when you get there - if you've got the guts to sign - to show your drill's all your leadership abilities. And if you manage to make it to a unit, again, try there too. Oh, wait, you want to be an officer, well, I'm sure in OCS there are plenty of leadership opportunities, as well as that first duty assignment as a cherry lieutenant.

Small hint - since I'm being nice tonight - the greatest trait of some of the best leaders is the ability to follow. Think you got it in you to follow?

Here's some more advice you will undoubtedly ignore - read more and post less. Have some respect for those who have served - they are part of a long lineage of brothers in combat who gave you the freedom to leisurely make your way through college.

LL

LibraryLady, I don't understand you're condescending attitude and it's very annoying. Most people graduate from college in 4 1/2 to 5 years, but it actually took me only 3 1/2 since you decided to make an issue of it. I don't know what advice I have been given and ignored? Most of what I have received is make up your mind and join. Don't tell me that I know nothing about the military, yes I know what SME meant. I know more than most civilians do about the military. Yeah you're right, most people in spec ops aren't thrill seekers wanting to do HSLD stuff. That isn't my primary motivation, but being drawn to exciting training is common. I'm sure many guys stay in the military because they don't enjoy it either. It's not like I'm thinking it will be easy and comfortable. Damn. I love how you think you can judge my character based off of what little I said here. You are making this very personal and I'm offended by that. Don't you question my patriotism. As I stated earlier, I have almost signed the dotted line a few time since 9/11 but decided to finish college first. In hindsight I may have done things differently but there's nothing wrong with me finishing school with the intention of becoming an officer.

Basically you have come in here asking which SOF you should join, making it sound like getting into one or the other is a fait accompli. It makes you sound like an arsehole, hence the reaction you have got.

If you want to use this place as a resource it's up to you to change our opinion of you, rebuttals like the one above are not going to help your cause.

Remember you're trying to join us, we aren't trying to recruit you.

Basically you have come in here asking which SOF you should join, making it sound like getting into one or the other is a fait accompli. It makes you sound like an arsehole, hence the reaction you have got.

If you want to use this place as a resource it's up to you to change our opinion of you, rebuttals like the one above are not going to help your cause.

Remember you're trying to join us, we aren't trying to recruit you.

After reading this entire thread I think digrar summed up my thoughts perfectly.

LockNload do you honestly believe that anyone who attempts any form of SOF selection, plans on quitting? Mike Tyson once said "everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth." You seem to be worrying too much about this, and honestly you are planning way too far ahead for something that has the possibility of going either way.

Damn, you go round and round more than my washer. Hint one, don't disrespect those who HAVE served, like LL. You come here asking for answers, and turn into a cocky, whiny little shit. You have been given answers, but you don't listen.

Make a decision, sack up, and sign. Quit talking about it and DO it.

Shit, now you're pissing off Ranger wives.:rolleyes:

As a support guy I've worked with a fair number of Army units and types of people. All of them knew what they wanted to do. They did their research on the mission and went for it, they got a bug that said "Go down path X" and they went and did it. No waffling, no doubt, just 100% pure action until they achieved their goal.

My personal thoughts are that if you are indecisive now, with only a few months before OCS or whatever you want starts, then you'll be indecisive later.

Make up your mind and follow that path to completion. Do or do not, there is no try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back