RCMP using spyware to hack phones

Pretty sure govt's and govt backed useful idiots have higher body counts than school shooters. Try harder?
You know the point I was trying to make or maybe I’m overestimating your intelligence.

I can’t speak for Canada but in the US it’s no different than any warrantless search/seizure, at least on the law enforcement side.

If you’re going down the conspiracy route, you give our government too much credit.

You know the point I was trying to make or maybe I’m overestimating your intelligence.

I can’t speak for Canada but in the US it’s no different than any warrantless search/seizure, at least on the law enforcement side.

If you’re going down the conspiracy route, you give our government too much credit.
I am a bit of a Neanderthal ;-).

That said, I'm looking at technology from a Guns, Germs, and Steel, perspective. This surveillance tech is very much a weapon that only a few have access to. In this case, the civies are the natives.

As to giving govt too much credit, there are obvious examples of people with questionable/no moral values who use this technology to their own benefit. When people have the backing of govt they are capable of doing horrific things.

I am a bit of a Neanderthal ;-).

That said, I'm looking at technology from a Guns, Germs, and Steel, perspective. This surveillance tech is very much a weapon that only a few have access to. In this case, the civies are the natives.

As to giving govt too much credit, there are obvious examples of people with questionable/no moral values who use this technology to their own benefit. When people have the backing of govt they are capable of doing horrific things.
Can’t argue with that and there are always examples of abuse of power out there. Accountability is the key to this stuff, but we both know people slip through the cracks. I know for us to leverage electronic surveillance there is a system in place to ensure abuses don’t occur but we have a dumb ass in another office who will be going to prison because he had access and wasn’t caught until he had been spying on known females for a while.

Can’t argue with that and there are always examples of abuse of power out there. Accountability is the key to this stuff, but we both know people slip through the cracks. I know for us to leverage electronic surveillance there is a system in place to ensure abuses don’t occur but we have a dumb ass in another office who will be going to prison because he had access and wasn’t caught until he had been spying on known females for a while.
And therin lies the rub. If we have people at the lower level slipping through the cracks, I can only imagine what abuses of power the political elite are getting away with. Accountability is a great thing when it's actually the law of the land, right now not so much.

How is anyone supposed to trust a govt agency or intel service to follow procedure, when they've literally lost, covered up evidence, or are party to corruption? Between the Hunter Biden laptop, Epstein list, Clinton servers and laptop, Weiner laptop, etc, there is some real shitbaggery going on.

One would have to be out of their mind to trust govt and ruling elite to not abuse this sort of technology.

That’s across the board. What do you propose? Who regulates it? At least with knowledge of the tech and ability out in the open there can be some sort of checks and balances. Eliminate it? Sure, that will happen…then it stays behind closed doors and used in the shadows.

That’s across the board. What do you propose? Who regulates it? At least with knowledge of the tech and ability out in the open there can be some sort of checks and balances. Eliminate it? Sure, that will happen…then it stays behind closed doors and used in the shadows.
Proliferation of this technology to the civilian populace and the enforcement of the laws that our political elite and bureaucrats are skirting. Problem with enforcement of the law is having to root out all the corruption in the higher echelons.

That said, there are some pretty blatant and grievous cases of govt corruption. You would essentially have to build a new enforcement/intelligence arm from scratch, with a set time limit before expiry, and delineated goals. In this manner, existing enforcement/intelligence arms can be either be cleansed of rot or new ones stood up in their places.

Oddly enough this would have to take place before proliferation of this technology hits the civilian world.

In case someone was wondering how political over reach in Canada is possible. This is one of of the member's of the Trucker Convoy, which was deemed a legal protest by the courts, until Trudeau decided to use the Emergencies Act to shut it down. She is being held on mischief charges and "breached" bail by attending an awards ceremony with her lawyers present.

Tamara Lich will stay in jail because of ‘troubling’ new evidence about her role in the Ottawa protest, Ontario court rules | The Star

The excuse given by the Public Safety Minister, for enacting the Emergencies Act was that police requested it because they didn't have the resources to shut it down. Now Members of his own party, including the Deputy Prime Minister are throwing under the bus. The government is trying to make them out to be terrorists wanting to overthrow the government. Sound familiar?

Emergency Preparedness Minister: police did not ask for Emergencies Act

Back