RCMP using spyware to hack phones

What about when eggheads do this illegally?

What's to stop some bureaucrat, who's a closeted useful idiot, from invading your privacy and that of your family?
What’s to keep a bad actor from doing anything with any tool available. With your mindset, maybe we should ban guns to keep someone from shooting up a school.

What’s to keep a bad actor from doing anything with any tool available. With your mindset, maybe we should ban guns to keep someone from shooting up a school.
Pretty sure govt's and govt backed useful idiots have higher body counts than school shooters. Try harder?

For the thread.

Let me clarify. Lets say a govt official or employee uses their position to maliciously target someone they do not like, and they get caught. Do they face any repercussions? Considering how partisan our intelligence and federal agencies are, why should the average American put any trust or faith in them?

I'll give @R.Caerbannog some credit here. This malware was also used without any knowledge or oversight by law maker's or our Privacy Commissioner, for year's. The RCMP have still not provided a full report on its use. There is no legal framework for its use.

Right now there is a scandal in Canada with politicians pressuring the RCMP Commissioner (top job) to interfere with the investigation into our largest mass shooting in history, to push gun control legislation. During the pandemic, our Federal Health department got telecom companies to provide wireless data to track Canadian's movement.

It's not like politicians in another country have not weaponize intelligence and law enforcement against opponents or journalists in recent history.

Globe editorial: One Ottawa scandal, two institutional cultures in need of fixing - The Globe and Mail

Ethics committee summons Duclos, Tam on mobile-phone data collection during pandemic

It looks like Obama did spy on Trump, just as he apparently did to me

I'm not surprised they use it. I'm more surprised it took this long to come to light.

Canada’s national police force admits use of spyware to hack phones
Interestingly, over the Toronto area, there's a Gippsaero GA8 aircraft registered to a "number company" that does regular circuits over the area. It's "blocked" on flightradar 24 and is definitely confirmed doing surveillance. I'm guessing RCMP or CSIS... It's kitted out with all kinds of gear. Very little info and no chatter on this that I've found, but seen it doing overflight many times.

Attachments

• 51543140571_d03c2cdbc8.jpg
    51543140571_d03c2cdbc8.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 3
Interestingly, over the Toronto area, there's a Gippsaero GA8 aircraft registered to a "number company" that does regular circuits over the area. It's "blocked" on flightradar 24 and is definitely confirmed doing surveillance. I'm guessing RCMP or CSIS... It's kitted out with all kinds of gear. Very little info and no chatter on this that I've found, but seen it doing overflight many times.

RCMP, OPP and probably other organizations. I know they are used for monitoring speed on highways, looking for illegal grow ops, etc..

Interesting. BTW I looked up some info before.. it's been involved with a couple of near miss incidents in the airspace! Its rumored to have cell phone hack capabilities which is what prompted me to reply to you.

@RackMaster there will be a legislative framework if they're getting warrants for it otherwise there's isn't a way to even get a warrant. Doing this without warrants would put undue pressure on the evidence ie it can't be used.

Looking at what I suspect is the framework* here is the old future-proofing statement that is quite similar to one seen here. It's designed to not be prescriptive so new technologies can be both countered and enabled.

"Every person who intercepts, by means of any electro-magnetic, acoustic, mechanical or other device[...]."

"Other device" is where I would suggest the RCMP lawyers have said it falls.

*Criminal Code

Jetphotos seems to think it's run by York Regional Police but I can't confirm that. Appears to be based at the same place as their helos but that doesn't mean anything on its own. Interesting aircraft; I'm going to see what I can find about it.

I'll give @R.Caerbannog some credit here. This malware was also used without any knowledge or oversight by law maker's or our Privacy Commissioner, for year's. The RCMP have still not provided a full report on its use. There is no legal framework for its use.

Right now there is a scandal in Canada with politicians pressuring the RCMP Commissioner (top job) to interfere with the investigation into our largest mass shooting in history, to push gun control legislation. During the pandemic, our Federal Health department got telecom companies to provide wireless data to track Canadian's movement.

It's not like politicians in another country have not weaponize intelligence and law enforcement against opponents or journalists in recent history.

Globe editorial: One Ottawa scandal, two institutional cultures in need of fixing - The Globe and Mail

Ethics committee summons Duclos, Tam on mobile-phone data collection during pandemic

It looks like Obama did spy on Trump, just as he apparently did to me
Thank you Rack! Very well stated.

For the board:

This technology is being used on some of the most powerful people with little consequence. If you're an average Joe you literally have no way of countering this tech, when it's used against you by lesser men. At a certain point, with how much we rely on communication technology, we are becoming figurative serfs to unelected technocrats.

Unless there is some technological counter that can be used by the common man, any law that promises it will protect you isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Anyone promising otherwise is either foolishly naive or does not have your interest at heart.

The world is changing and access to comms and anonymity are going to be huge, especially in the realm of 5th generation warfare. Ideas, truths, and lies, will change the way people view and interact with the world. If people have the Sword of Damocles hanging over them, regarding personal privacy, they're no better off than the serfs who lived under the domain of more educated nobles and clergy of the dark ages.

Last edited:
Back