Re-open Ft. Sherman for Jungle Operations under PSC

I still haven't posted an intro. Maybe next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really want anything to do with an old Ft. Sherman. :D

I'd take the other places though. Panama City, yes San Lorenzo and Devils Beach.

Qualified instructor ? I was, but I'm not going to bite this particular job at this age.

Yeah, sure you were....:rolleyes:

Regardless of the moratorium of the concession (Which the OP originally posted back in 2010) of 10 years, quite frankly, I don't see it happening. Why? First of all, it would be a logistics glut of momentous proportions. Kobbe, Clayton, Howard AFB and the rest of the support infrastructure we relied on so heavily to keep Sherman up and running, no longer exists.

And even when it was there, it was still a huge under taking on a daily basis going back and forth from the Atlantic side to the Pacific side and back for supply runs, personnel issues etc. Unless a deep water dock harbor was built to accommodate shipping transportation inbound with supplies directly from the gulf (Most expeditious and cost effective) , along with the complete overhaul of the airstrip, you'd be at the mercy of relying on inflated pricing from either Colon or Panama City just to keep the basics up and running.

Plus, you're talking private contractors, who more than likely, would demand mega $$$$ to do the job. Between the rain season, black palm, gouging around at night under triple canopy, amongst bugs, insects, and animals yet to be classified, not to mention white faced monkeys (Capuchins) throwing their shit and pissing down on you from above, along with a whole host of other nastiness to numerous to mention, not really sure you could pay me enough to go back. And this is just JOTC instructor staff. Haven't even covered building retro fitting and rehab, the supply side of the house, medical facilities and staff (An absolute must) cooks, vehicles, mechanics, boat house personnel, pilots, A/C etc etc etc.

Plus, here in the present day of sequestration, budget cuts and a looming debt ceiling along with our national focus on SW Asia and the African continent, not saying it's not a good idea, but in all reality, will still remain a pipe dream. Again, I just don't see it happening.

Last edited:
I would come down to work on helicopters and aircraft. Anything to get out of CONUS as politics and prevailing social conditions are not conducive to my long term liking.

Hello all this is my actual Facebook picture until I can come up with good avatar. I served with the 1-75th Ranger Battalion between 1986-90(a lifetime ago). I was assigned to Alpha Company, 1st Platoon, Wpns squad. Went to college after getting out and generally was a small business owner living in Decatur, GA until the economy went bad for me in 2012. Now I'm back in school to become an FAA certified aircraft mechanic/engineer and should finish up on or near December. I'm looking to leave the US and work offshore probably the middle east when my schooling and certification is complete.

Hello all this is my actual Facebook picture until I can come up with good avatar. I served with the 1-75th Ranger Battalion between 1986-90(a lifetime ago). I was assigned to Alpha Company, 1st Platoon, Wpns squad. Went to college after getting out and generally was a small business owner living in Decatur, GA until the economy went bad for me in 2012. Now I'm back in school to become an FAA certified aircraft mechanic/engineer and should finish up on or near December. I'm looking to leave the US and work offshore probably the middle east when my schooling and certification is complete.

Post your intro in the intro thread as per the rules you signed. Thank you.

I guess the OP never got around to reopening JOTC for the general public. I went through that course in 73. I don't know if I'd pay for the pleasure of doing it again (not that it would be an option at my age), but there were aspects of it I enjoyed.

Last edited:
I guess the OP never got around to reopening JOTC for the general public. I went through that course in 73. I don't know if I'd pay for the pleasure of doing it again (not that it would be an option at my age), but there were aspects of it I enjoyed.

Oh, it's still open, as in wide open. The buildings have been raped of anything of value and pillaged to the point of dilapidation. The idea was when it was turned over, to become a tourist stop with all the amenities of a resort facility. In regards to the plans, neither ever happened. Kinda sad to remember it as it once was and how it is today.

Oh, it's still open, as in wide open. The buildings have been raped of anything of value and pillaged to the point of dilapidation. The idea was when it was turned over, to become a tourist stop with all the amenities of a resort facility. In regards to the plans, neither ever happened. Kinda sad to remember it as it once was and how it is today.

It was a crucible of sorts to me, my first real demanding physical challenge after my RTD following a long rehab...and some of the best instructors I ever had. Yeah it is kinda sad. Especialy considering that you guys had to fight in the PCZ in 89. I just wikied it and saw that they'd used it for some of the scenes in Quantum of Solace.

Back