Reality Check: How to Know I Have the Right Intentions

Kash27D

USAR 27D
Verified Military
As I approach the prospect of attending SFRE, I would like some input on what kind of questions I need to ask myself, so I don't waste my time or anyone elses.

While the prospect of becoming SF has always been attractive to me, I want to make sure I'm pursuing it for the right reasons. I don't want to do it just for the tab or the green beret, or not even bragging rights. Ultimately, I realize it would entail being put in extremely trying and difficult situations. So to enter into this with anything other than absolute sincerity will only harm me down the road.

Can anyone offer me advice on what kinds of questions I need to ask myself or how I can introspect a little deeper to make sure I am making the right decision? Or, am I just overthinking this?

I was embedded into many ODAs and hardly ever heard a SF soldier use ”I”: their focus seemed to be centered on “we” and “our” impact on the Oppressed “we” were try to Liberate.

I‘ve been retired four years now and three SF guys reached out just a few days ago, “How are ”you” and “your” family doing?”

A key to success is being internally motivated. No one is going to offer you words of motivation. You will be given tasks and told to do your best, and you will receive little to no feed back.

If you can't figure out if this is something you want on your own, it's probably not for you. Don't over think it. The old adage rings true: Don't be late, last, lost, or light, and don't quit.

So having gone through multiple SFREs and SFAS and now moving on to the next steps, I’ll put it like this. If you have to ask if this is for you, if you have to ask if you’re doing the right thing, or should you really be there, it’s probably not the right thing for you. No offense, but if you go for this it’s got to be an all in mentality. I’ll save you the details but in my limited experience I’ve still seen entirely too many guys who weren’t sure of what they wanted get left in the dust. Do some soul searching, and figure out if it’s truly what you want.

Back