Recon Faq

Here's what I see so far:
A request for guidance in his intro followed by blatant rejection of all that was given to him. Failure.
An inability to stop arguing everything anyone says, even as he argumentatively denies it. Failure.
Failure to follow simple instructions.
Four posts on and neither mention nor recognition of the Recon Creed, which I have repeatedly pointed him towards - specifically for this paragraph:
Conquering all obstacles, both large and small, I shall never quit.
To quit, to surrender, to give up is to fail.
To be a Recon Marine is to surpass failure;
To overcome, to adapt and to do whatever it takes to complete the mission.

Thanks for trying out bud. These jobs aren't for everyone, and there is no shame in that. Do us all a favor, save us some time, and yourself a lot of Pain, Misery, and Suffering. Move along.

And then there's the gem where you suggest that Recon is too demanding of your time and family situation, so your alternate is to go green and Ranger up?! Good God Man!

I don't know why I bother...

Color blindness de-qualifies you for most reconnaissance schools as well to include airborne and dive.

I am currently in 1-15, and we have 3 guys from RADBN. 2 from 2nd and 1 from 1st. They were saying not a lot of guys get to go, mostly due to their passing rate. They send less guys than anyone else so obviously less graduate. Most radio recon guys go to their own inhouse course. I forget what they call it.

Finally broke through the politic BS and got in to RRP. I check into BRPC 2 NOV. Just wanted to say thanks to all the guys dropin' knowledge in these Recon threads. On another note, if there are any other 2651's looking to get in to RRP, hit me up. To my knowledge I'm the first one to go in 5-6 years. I can give some advice on the political game and get you some contacts.

Finally broke through the politic BS and got in to RRP. I check into BRPC 2 NOV. Just wanted to say thanks to all the guys dropin' knowledge in these Recon threads. On another note, if there are any other 2651's looking to get in to RRP, hit me up. To my knowledge I'm the first one to go in 5-6 years. I can give some advice on the political game and get you some contacts.
Congrats & best of luck.

What is a 2651? Don't quit. BRC is one of the hardest courses in the Marine Corps. The only course with a higher attrition rate is sniper school.

What is a 2651? Don't quit. BRC is one of the hardest courses in the Marine Corps. The only course with a higher attrition rate is sniper school.

2651 is Special Intelligence System Administrator/Communicator. It's all the 06xx MOS's conglomerated into one to support intel units.

Good luck Bonesaw, I'm hoping to see you there, if the lat move chief approves my package in time! Or perhaps the next class :(

So, try as I may, there is one thing that I cannot find any information on how to get into Force Recon from Division level. Unless things I've read are incorrect, each Recon Battalion has one Force Recon company, but how does one go from the Division to Force? Is there a separate screening process or is it just putting time in and eventually getting the chance?

Good morning, afternoon, or evening to those who are taking time out of their day to read my post, I truly appreciate it. I have a couple of questions regarding trying out for Marine Recon.
1) I am currently a Poole, and I will be signing a 03xx contract. Will I still be able to volunteer for Recon?
2) Does volunteering for Recon only occur during certain parts of the year?
3) What type of characteristics, physical, and mental traits do Recon Screeners look for?
4) If I am able to volunteer, where will the volunteering occur? (SOI/ITB)
I have read many FAQ's, talked with former/active duty Marines (both sides weren't Recon), but all of the sources cancel out each other at some point.
I greatly appreciate any, and all responses given.
Thank you,
Sean​

Hi Sean,

My info may be out of date by now, but I'll answer your questions based on what I experienced going into Recon back in 2003.

1) I went in on a general 03 contract as well. Shouldn't be a problem. Even if you don't manage to get into Recon immediately, don't loose heart - a few years in a conventional line company will only make you a better asset when you eventually lat move.

2) When I came through, there was a Recon screening during every class of SOI ITB.

3) There were three levels of screening I faced. The first was a simple records screen for sheer eligibility - GT, PFT, etc. This happens in the background, without your participation. Then (if you met the minimum requirements) we were given the option to volunteer for the physical screening test. This consisted of a PFT and some swimming events. Finally, those who finished and passed the minimum on that were huddled up with a representative of our local Recon Battalion and asked if we wanted to volunteer to go Recon. Those who did, and graduated ITB without issues were then cut orders.

If you've read this thread and the many others related to Recon here on SS, then you've read time and again what characteristic will make you successful. Heart. Do not quit - ever. If you have the GT and baseline fitness, there's nothing in the pipeline that can't be accomplished. You just have to want it bad enough to suck it up and drive on.

4) You'll have a number of opportunities to volunteer for Recon in the Infantry - from SOI to the fleet. If this is your goal, then never loose sight of it no matter where you get sent, and you'll find your way.

You're embarking on a challenging but rewarding path. Good luck to you.

-B&S

Back