Refinishing Wood Gun Furniture

Ahh ok. Neatsfoot oil the best for outdoor exposed leather if you go that route.

The old saying is "an AK 47 is so simple a child can use it, and they do." The simplicity is what makes them so dependable and popular around the globe. I am not a bandwagon gangsta AK guy, I just appreciate the design.

Hey Top, do you happen to have those pics of how this turned out? I'm thinking about redoing the stock on my M305.

Hey Top, do you happen to have those pics of how this turned out? I'm thinking about redoing the stock on my M305.
I haven't finished because I ended up getting Magpul furniture for the AK for my birthday. I did put 4 coats of Tung oil on and it really shows the grain well, but it needs a couple more coats. Thanks for reminding me to get back on it.

The Tung oil alone is not dark enough. In retrospect, I wish I would've stained in Russian red or orange to give it a more traditional look. The M14 looks better with dark wood too, IMO. That's obviously personal preference though.

The Tung oil alone is not dark enough. In retrospect, I wish I would've stained in Russian red or orange to give it a more traditional look. The M14 looks better with dark wood too, IMO. That's obviously personal preference though.

I agree. I've seen a few lighter stocked M14s and it's not to my taste.

Back