Remember those 2 missing Marine Corps rifles a few month ago?

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
So does the Marine Corps.

Commander and sergeant major fired from Marine unit that lost 2 rifles

The battalion commander and battalion sergeant major of the 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines, the unit that lost two rifles in December 2019, were recently relieved for "loss of trust and confidence,” a Marine official confirmed.

The Camp Lejuene, North Carolina, based unit was led by Lt. Col. Clinton Kappel and Sgt. Maj. Elson L. Aviles until they were fired March 12, Task and Purpose first reported.

The decision to fire the two Marines was made by Maj. Gen. David J. Furness, commander of the 2nd Marine Division, 1st Lt. Dan Linfante, division spokesman, told Marine Corps Times on Monday.

I'll be interested in reading up on the details of this as they emerge. The loss of two rifles is very serious, but does not, in my opinion, on its own rise to the level of relieving the Bn CDR and CSM... unless there are extenuating circumstances. Or if the two rifles were theirs....

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

The wheels are turning for yet another Case Study.

I'll be interested in reading up on the details of this as they emerge. The loss of two rifles is very serious, but does not, in my opinion, on its own rise to the level of relieving the Bn CDR and CSM... unless there are extenuating circumstances. Or if the two rifles were theirs....
The CG would have relieved them immediately if he fired them just for losing the rifles. Firing the CO and SgtMaj tells me there is more to the story here. My guess is either that they fostered an undisciplined culture, which wouldn’t fare well in “let me set your hourly schedule for you” 2 MARDIV, or they had a toxic command climate.

Not confirmed yet, but folks are reporting to Terminal Lance on Twitter and Facebook that 3/6 lost pistols today.

C9ABA89B-8C5B-4D6F-BED5-651A5BD292BE.jpeg1803CD95-F87F-4D79-ACB9-898BBE255BB8.jpeg

Back