Remington LTR

Chad

U.S. Optics
Verified Sniper
Had this out after the VSF:

RemLTR02-vi.jpg

Basic drill for this session is to get a zero, evaluate the ballistics and adjust the 'zero' elevation if needed:

After bore sighting I shot the initial zero with HSM 168(cost less than Fed168). Confirmed the zero POI w/ 5rds of Fed168. I then shot a group at longer range, not shown on tgt, and the POI was about 2moa low.

RemLTR-vi.jpg

Following day; I added two moa and shot the 600(this confirmed the 2moa adjustment as correct), 800, 400 and two rds at 100 to get POI data. POA for 6, 8 and 4 is center diamond.

This is a stock rifle, well, it was when this was shot. It has since had the trigger reduced to 4# from the previous 6#. It is probably my favorite rifle in .308, the size is handy and it is accurate right from the box.

DK had an LTR a few years ago, it was a 1moa gun with me behind it. I really like the size, but would have liked it more if it was sub moa...

Nice looking bang-stick!

4# trigger is crazy talk, 2.5# is where it's at brother... ;)

Yes, it is almost always a factor here.

I think most of that session I was holding for about 5mph full value at the 4, 6 and 8 yard line.

I make a wind call based on visual cues and what I see through the scope, then send the shots at as rapid a rate as I accurately can. At times I will put a shot in the berm to get a better wind call. I am after groups on tgt and not concerned w/ bulls eyes. Vertical POI in relation to POA is what I'm mostly looking at.

...but would have liked it more if it was sub moa...

4# trigger is crazy talk, 2.5# is where it's at brother... ;)

This one is easily sub moa w/ Fed168.

I did shoot a custom that was built using the old M40a1 stock this week. It had a 2.5# trigger on it. I will do a short review of it in another thread.

My old LTR was sub-moa as well with FGMM 168's

Just because J.A.B. was 1 MOA with it...doesn't mean the gun is no better than 1 MOA :p

I wish I would've chron'ied mine to see what MV the 20" barrel was pushing.

I have a chrono and have been needing to shoot over it for a few days. I want to compare the VSF @ 26" w/ the LTR @ 20".....with ammo prices the way they are, I think I will only do 5 shot strings for each. I will post the results.

My old LTR was sub-moa as well with FGMM 168's

Just because J.A.B. was 1 MOA with it...doesn't mean the gun is no better than 1 MOA :p

I wish I would've chron'ied mine to see what MV the 20" barrel was pushing.

J.A.B. a bit of a jackhammer on the trigger? :D

Ballpark info between the 20" and 26" barrels:

FGMM168, chrono 10' from muzzle, alt 2600ft, 75F

LTR, 5 shot average = 2571fps
VSF, 5 shot average = 2664fps

I chrono'd my PAI5r this afternoon and was sending FGMM168's @ 2750fps...where you getting 2571fps with FGMM168's?

Yes, my 5 shot average with the 20" LTR was 2571fps with FGMM168.

2750fps sounds like a bad reading? That is higher than the velocity on my VSF with the 26" barrel.

I just looked up my numbers from my last chrono session, June 2007:D, and the LTR was 2616fps and the VSF was 2668fps. Both with FGMM 168.

Quite a few variables are involved but it might be possible that the VSF is already milking the cartridge for all its worth with that 26" barrel. The 40fps difference between my current numbers for the LTR and June of '07 might be related to temperature(much hotter in June)....or different lot numbers, sensor positioning in relation to the sun, barrel conditions, etc..

Might be that I plain screwed up too!

It had better be higher than a stock VSF barrel!!!:eek:
It's a 24" Mike Rock 5r barrel, it is faster.

Ok.

I don't know the ins and outs of barrel design, the friction involved, pressure curve etc...

2750 seems seriously outta' whack though, ur gun is busted}:-)

Remington LTR, RR800-2, 1000yds w/ Fed GM 168:

Confirmed zero this AM. CB and three shot group:

100ydzero168FGM-vi.jpg

This afternoon:

LTR1000F-vi.jpg

0620091000yds-vi.jpg

Other impacts(marked w/ black line) were two groups from the 600yd line. Boxed in red is from 1000.

LTR1000cr01_cr01-vi.jpg

LTR001F-vi.jpg

Two more days w/ the LTR, checking some data on a reticle

Remington LTR w/ bipod, Fed GM168, conditions for both days was about 108F(shade) and 10%H @ 2600ft. Winds were variable in direction and velocity but never need more than a 10mph hold.

Yesterday:
RR900aa04a-vi.jpg

I had zeroed the rifle and scope earlier at 100yds(POA=POI@100yds), shot 400 and added 1.5moa elevation and shot the 400 again. Then I shot the 800.

Today:
RR900Aug02caaa-vi.jpg

Started at 900 and then shot the 200, 300, 600 and finished with a final group at 100yds.

200 and 100yds:
RR900_01_craaa-vi.jpg

Remigton LTR:
RR900LTRaaa-vi.jpg

Back