Requesting input for these prep workouts (EOD)

Brewsky88

Verified Military
In addition to doing command PT and various training exercises with my mentor, I have been considering adding these workouts to my physical conditioning.

Starting with this:
http://www.umich.edu/~umnrotc/docs/EOD_Physical_Prep_Guide.pdf

Then moving on to this after that is complete:
http://www.sealswcc.com/pdf/naval-special-warfare-physical-training-guide.pdf

Are these up to par with where I will need to be or are there changes/substitutions you might suggest?

My last PST was:
10:17 450m sidestroke
63 push ups
71 sit ups
8 pull ups
11:34 1.5 mile (needs plenty of work, I understand)

During which I honestly appreciated hearing "pick your head up, that didn't count" "shoulder blades didn't touch the deck, that didn't count" "throat didn't clear the bar" and "control your swaying, do it again." I thrive off of that kind of feedback because it makes me realize that I am capable of more and forces me to dig deep and push it. I have since quit smoking which I know will help in addition to the 8-10 months of training between the 2 workout programs.

I was Army EOD, so I didn't need to worry about swimming. The first workout you posted seems pretty solid for beginners. Nothing froo-froo. Navy EOD does a lot of work alongside SEAL teams, and their stateside training reflects that. Keep that in mind.

Hydrate properly, listen to your body, and don't just go glossing over the stretches. Otherwise, those workouts aren't a bad idea. Just don't overwork youself.

Your PST as a whole needs work.

Swim: 500 yds under 10:00
Push: 75+
Sit: 75+
Pull: 15+
Run: 11:00 or less, sub 10:00 should be your goal.
Like I've said before though, passing your PST should be the equivalent of showing up to a written test and spelling your name correctly.

Command PT won't get anyone ready for anything. In addition to what you have there, check out SOFWOD. They incorporate strength, conditioning, running, rucking and swimming into a nice, neat, ass kicking package that is Selection based.
From a couple of my buddies who were in the EOD pipeline, I hope you're comfortable in the water. That's where most of the dick stomping occurs...

I am very comfortable in the water and enjoy long swims. My mentor has said that I'm fast in the water just from seeing my performance during command swims (average 1/2 - 1 mile) but I need to fine tune my sidestroke, I'm putting a lot of effort into powering through the water rather than gliding. Said once I get the glide down I'll be faster and have a lot of energy left over to put toward the run. I'm also making sure to keep the difficulty up on my water training (treading water in the fresh water pool because of the lack of buoyancy, and swimming in the surf while dealing with the currents)

I will definitely look into the WOD as well

Last edited:
Back