Role being embedded with ODA's

I thought SSE was pretty fun in Iraq when you actually found cool stuff...unlike afghanistan where its just rooting through a bunch of mud hut shit.
Iraq is obviously in the 21st century. Afghanistan is like being in 900 AD with random sprinklings of more modern things.

I thought SSE was pretty fun in Iraq when you actually found cool stuff...unlike afghanistan where its just rooting through a bunch of mud hut shit.

Brother, you ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait. ;) (I'm not talking about the CSI-type SSE but rather the geeky-type junk.)

I have an answer to this - well an old one, because I am old. The original active duty teams were formed I think in 1990. I joined in 1993 and the unit was fully attached to 3rd group but was a socom asset because we got sent around with 10th and 7th as well for training. The units were called 801st and 56th special operations chem recon (thats what my orders said). There wasn't a specific selection course, but each mission usually only needs 2 guys to augment the ODA, so if you were garbage you did nothing and if your team didn't train or couldn't keep up you were never with the teams as it was "networking" that gets you training back then and if you were useless you didn't get asked . Captain would work planning while in isolation etc but enlisted were usually the only that went out. turnover was high as mentioned before, I stayed my full 3 years on the team and loved it. Team guys liked me, I liked them I trained 100% with teams while there, made great friends. It helped to be able to carry a small car on your back because most of the time we humped and humped. there were also benefits to being considered a good guy, I supported robin sage twice and was the sgt major of the G's and plan some strange ass final night missions ;)

Back