Rucking for A&S

Speaking of boots...I'm presently in the Farah Province with 5th ANGLICO and I am kicking a pair of Original SWAT Classics. I've had them for about a year now and been patrolling in country with them for about 2 months. Nothing but great things to say. They are holding up very well. The only thing I can't comment on is how well they would hold up in the mountains. All of our movements thus far have been over open desert, with the occasional ridgeline. The boots have very soft suede leather with no chemical treatment to harden them. I'll let you know how they fair as the deployment progresses. Anyone else have experience with these boots?

I wore those boots in Iraq in 2007 lasted all year and are sitting in my wall locker as trophies. Great in the heat, not so good in the wet. They harden and form real fast when they dry even when broken in.

Make sure your boots are the correct fit as well. I've struggled with boot issues my entire enlistment and the two most important things I found through my research are:
1) Proper fit. Not just your basic size, but your width(and arch) as well. I didn't realize I have a wide foot until half way through a deployment when my buddy gave me his extra pair of boots because mine were thrashed. If you have the wrong size boot, you're going to plant your foot wrong in your stride to compensate for the pain that the incorrect size is causing, and a plethora of injuries will result. Blisters, stress fractures, nerve damage in your toes... you name it. Just think about how small the bones are in your feet, and how much stress and impact you hammer them with during a good ruck. Go to a Runner's Roost or equivalent running shoe store and have them do an analysis of your soles... pick their brains about what sole might be best for you.
2) Socks. Don't skimp on hiking socks. Everyone knows patrol socks are dispensable. I used 3 dollar pairs of Starter socks in Afghanistan and went through a pair every two or three days. Hiking socks range in price, but you get what you pay for. There are all sorts of different socks for different seasons and different conditions. Just do the research and experiment.

Speaking of boots...I'm presently in the Farah Province with 5th ANGLICO and I am kicking a pair of Original SWAT Classics. I've had them for about a year now and been patrolling in country with them for about 2 months. Nothing but great things to say. They are holding up very well. The only thing I can't comment on is how well they would hold up in the mountains. All of our movements thus far have been over open desert, with the occasional ridgeline. The boots have very soft suede leather with no chemical treatment to harden them. I'll let you know how they fair as the deployment progresses. Anyone else have experience with these boots?

Absolutely great boots. Did a 30 mile ruck challenge with them with about 2-4 days to break them in and I had nary a blister or hot spot. Great, great boot and inexpensive!

Some of you guys have some great imput on boots and socks. Join the Marsoc Mentoring program. Put your thoughts on it for socks, boots, what not, be advised as you all probably know its not a G-2 site. I mentioned the Garmonts T-8's ( they used to be called Recon's) on the rucking post.

Recent attendee's question: you are now allowed to wear any military style boot, and have a pair of USMC regulations for formal stuff?

I just confirmed that as well. From the ASPOC staff: boots you will use during the course have to have an EGA on them. What you can also do is take your USMC boots to a cobbler have them change the soles for you. My advice about finding the non-issue boots that you like still applies. I would use them for most of my training, and alternate with the issue boots to make sure they are broken in for the Course.

When you "tape" your feet how about do I go doing that? Do I literally just wrap my entire foot in duct tape, sorry for the dumb questions. Ive just never been told that before. Ive been told to get the poly inner socks and then the wolf outer socks

I would not "duct Tape " my feet if I was you. The only time I could see doing that would be for an emergency. Somebody else covered it on another post. The tape will start rolling and "seaming." Think about how hot your feet get in just socks and boot even on a chilly day, then add plastic and rubber, and adhesive, fuck that. Keep some Riggers tape handy for quick shoe repair (outside.) You might cut a boot on a stump or a rock, get back to the bivouac and tape the boot up if you need too. The purpose of most rucking training is to prepare your feet for the load, get the skin used to operating in a sock inside a boot. Some of the hardest times on my feet was boot camp, new boots, new socks, and plenty of walking.

Breaking in your boots is the biggest thing you can do to avoid the kind of scenario where you would need duct tape. I once ran a 7.2 mile race in cammies and brand new Hi-tech boots. Bad idea, the middle of my feet we're jacked up from the mid sole, I had huge deep ass blisters. My example is just plain stupid, but we're Marines, and dumb stuff seems to take on a life of its own.

Good socks, properly broken in boots, with the right inserts for your feet, and take good care of them. If you have to use tape, its only because shit has gone south and that is your last chance to survive lone enough to get selected. Lets try to avoid total foot destruction, lets make that an SOP, and even maybe train smarter to avoid that type of thing. I think we should even let the serious of the selection events be the "decider" versus a badly thought out boot purchase.

While we're on boots, I got issued a set of Gortex Bellevilles (waterproof up to the ankle) through ROTC that after putting some gel inserts underneath the soles, fit so good that walking in them is like stepping on baby angel's asses. Legitimately the best pair of footwear I've ever worn so far. Unwilling to part with such a prize, I swapped them out with a cheaper pair before turning in my gear. I'd really like to take them to basic, but they've taken enough of a beating that they'd stand out in formation and catch a drill's eye. Plus Gortex, in June, at Sill... might not be worth the trouble. Should I just have my folks ship them to me at AIT or bring them along?

I'm just gonna throw this out there...

REI has some pretty good Merino wool socks, look for their store brand. They seem a little pricey, but they're worth it. I prefer the Light hiker socks, but I have a few pairs of Expedition socks that I use occasionally as well.

The funniest thing that happened at A&S was watching another guy slice open huge blisters on his feet then pour, literally pour, a bottle of Benzoin over the new holes in his feet. When I asked him what kinda socks he was wearing he said Thorlos, then he said that he always gets blisters and he just toughs it out... Don't be like that guy. If something isn't working try changing things! ;)

Was reading the post, an old trick my Dad past down to me was knee high panty hose, laugh if you want, but they do work, I would pair over my feet, and then a wear of wick socks, the nylon creates a less friction on the sock sliding on the surface of your skin, also wicks very fast, never had a blister. Also is you are area of leeches and tics, works.

Was reading the post, an old trick my Dad past down to me was knee high panty hose, laugh if you want, but they do work, I would pair over my feet, and then a wear of wick socks, the nylon creates a less friction on the sock sliding on the surface of your skin, also wicks very fast, never had a blister. Also is you are area of leeches and tics, works.
Your posts are difficult to follow due to your poor grammar and spelling. You might want to clean that up a bit. Seems like you have some good advice.
Just a thought.

Would you do that in combat, carry panty hose with you to change out with your socks? If you won't do it when bullets are flying, why train to that standard?

It never fails that we light somebody up for something, only to find out that he has a genuine injury. Gentleman. That type of message is best sent via a personnel message. i.e: "Hey man whats up with your spelling?" "dude I had a stroke, got hit by an IED,etc."

Please remember that Tact is part of the of 14 leadership traits. I have found that the Marine Corps in general rapes and beat viciously the principle of Tact. From Privates up to SgtMaj's. Think about every stupid encounter you've had, earned or unearned. Was being an asshole necessary?

Okay Folks, This has been reported and is being dealt with by the Staff.. So we'll leave it there.

FYI, some one has an issue with a post, report it using the report function. There are Moderation Staff here to Mod..

I have reread the topic again and again. and I find a few things that are confusing to myself. Adding duct tape, mole skin and such, lets me that the boot is not fitted correctly, I tend to buy alittle small, like ½ seize due to the material will expand from us and wear. Also the mention products above, decrease circulation of air and actually increase moisture, moisture will tear your feet apart, reduces heat transfer, and induces friction.
Easy example is going outside your home on a humid day, you sweet like a pig.
I remember the old jungle boots had a vented insert. While I do prefer the new US Army issued boots, I did add venting to both sides, the insole and outer.
I got excellent advice from my father, grandfather and mentors in service. While each person is different, nothing ventured, nothing gain.

Yeah those are the ones I had. I used them preping for for selection, during Sniper, and during selection. Those mixed with some smart wool and my original duties (with super feet insoles) and I only got one or two minor blisters. The poor soles at selection that didn't know any better tried regular issued boots with regular g.i. socks had feet that looked like hamburger by the third day.

Mole skin is your friend and will last duct tape will screw you, possibly beyond repair in time to complete the course.

Did you use those socks as liners and put other socks over, or were those the main socks you wore?

Back