Rucking in SLC ?

azuck25

Unverified
Anyone in the Salt Lake area looking to work on rucking/land nav to get ready for SFAS ?

I would like to train with motivated individuals to get ready for the course.

The REC uses Camp Williams for the Land Nav and road marches. Are you in the Guard or reserves? If so, you don't have to be in the REC to use Camp Williams, just need your ID card to get into Camp Williams, check in with range control and have the appropriate safety gear for rucking and land nav (range control will have those requirements).

The REC uses Camp Williams for the Land Nav and road marches. Are you in the Guard or reserves? If so, you don't have to be in the REC to use Camp Williams, just need your ID card to get into Camp Williams, check in with range control and have the appropriate safety gear for rucking and land nav (range control will have those requirements).
That 12 mile ruck that the REC puts on at Camp Williams is no joke. The first mile is all up hill. Still the hardest route I've done to this day on a timed ruck.

If you can't use Camp Williams, you can try the Bonneville shoreline trail. I used to train on there a lot too. It's a hike to get up to the trail, but once you're there it pretty well mimics rucking at Camp Mackall (minus all the sand).

That 12 mile ruck that the REC puts on at Camp Williams is no joke. The first mile is all up hill. Still the hardest route I've done to this day on a timed ruck.

If you can't use Camp Williams, you can try the Bonneville shoreline trail. I used to train on there a lot too. It's a hike to get up to the trail, but once you're there it pretty well mimics rucking at Camp Mackall (minus all the sand).

Is there still anything across the street for ranges? I remember doing my landnav and various other training over there when I went through the HUMINT Course. Since the other agency built up over there, I hadn't gone back over for subsequent training.

Still a civilian in the last few steps of the enlistment process for the guard. I don’t think I’d have access to Camp Williams.
I’ll check out Bonneville Shoreline, looks like a beast.
Dimple Dell Park also has a decent 6 mile circuit.

@DZ
@18C4V
Thanks man I appreciate the input

Is there still anything across the street for ranges? I remember doing my landnav and various other training over there when I went through the HUMINT Course. Since the other agency built up over there, I hadn't gone back over for subsequent training.
No ranges right across the street, but if you stay on that dirt road and head back behind the mountains there are a ton of ranges back there.

That was one of the better FOB set-ups I've seen. And not terribly hard to get a pizza out to so that you confuse the hell out of all the the staff running the exercise you're there conducting. :ROFLMAO:

Back