Russian Nuclear Sub Sails Off US Coast Undetected

If true that story is both funny and sad for the same reasons. The "Master ASW" base on the East Coast is located in Jacksonville, less than an hour's flying time from the gulf coast in FL with King's Bay (Trident subs) just up the coast, but our facilities in the gulf coast are marginal when compared to the east or west coasts. Considering that SOSUS is our first line of defense this is a little frightening.

If the story is true.

I agree Free why would the Russian cruise the Gulf when all of our assets are on the east and west coast. They certainly don't need to get a missile boat into the Gulf to hit us so what is the end game?

I question reports that quote other reports. The one thing that sticks out for me in that article was,
Some of those forces responsible for anti-submarine warfare and detection are targeted for cuts over the Obama administration's plan to slice nearly $500 billion from the Pentagon's budget over the next 10 years.
How much was that piece was about lobbying to prevent specific possible defense cuts because they couldn't reach a budget deal?

Back