RV Petrel's (Paul Allen's Ship) Wreck Discoveries

It's hard for me to conceive in this day and age a war in which giant aircraft carriers are routinely sent to the bottom. It's fascinating and eerie to see these relics of ships that were famous, their names still very much spoken and referred to in my youth.

You'd get a Love for this if our emoji weren't so...stupid.

It's hard for me to conceive in this day and age a war in which giant aircraft carriers are routinely sent to the bottom. It's fascinating and eerie to see these relics of ships that were famous, their names still very much spoken and referred to in my youth.

And spoken in reverence. My parents' generation, my grandparents' generation, these were real and tangible events, not just history as we know it.

Last edited:
RV Petrel discovered the wreck of the USS Johnston, but a team financed and led by Victor Vescovo surveyed the wreck in 2021. The video below does an amazing job of covering the damage to Johnston and worth the 12 minutes if you're into naval history.

Interestingly, Johnston was the deepest shipwreck discovered until Vescovo's team. In 2022, Vescovo and team discovered the wreck of the USS Samuel B. Roberts at a depth of 22,621 feet, making Roberts the deepest shipwreck discovered and Johnston second. Roberts was lost in the same battle as Johnston.

Of the 9 ships sunk during the battle off Samar only 3 have been discovered: IJN Chokai, Johnston, and Roberts.

Damn...I kind of figured it wouldn't return to its glory days because Allen's widow or daughter, whomever, is a..."nasty human being." To see it end like this though is horrible.

250-foot ship owned by Microsoft cofounder Paul Allen's estate tips over at Edinburgh, Scotland dockyard

A research ship owned by the estate of late Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen has tipped over at a dockyard in Scotland Wednesday, leaving at least 25 injured.

The "terrifying" incident involving the RV Petrel outside of Edinburgh happened after it became "dislodged from its holding in strong winds," Scottish politician Adam McVey said.

Any shipwreck diving company today will not divulge locations for this exact reason. Promises made by a Government against them, especially foreigners, are almost never kept. Happens here too in Carolina.

Yes. Maritime law gets very messy, and any time any government decides to stick its dick in the pie it just gets messier.

Back