SAS Want Ammo Upgrade

The HK-417 was simply awesome. We had a trial one at work as a DMR but it came with 3 different length barrels. With the 10.5" on it and an aimpoint it was an absolute beast. We ended up with the LMT so the pipe dream of being able to justify a TOE increase went out the window :(

Like this..lol

6236485438_595d282ee7_z.jpg

The HK416/417 while ok isnt an better IMHO than a weapon using a gas impingement system.

If I were looking for a 7.62 battle rifle I would look at the OBR.

This did me pretty good.

More accurate than the M110, handles pretty well for CQB (not as light or as short as a 10.5" M4, but it's a compromise), and the combination of a 15x optic and reflex sight was priceless.

Attachments

• DSCF0051.JPG
    DSCF0051.JPG
    405 KB · Views: 96
I liked the CAR heavy also. Although the HK417 allowed me to couple it with the 320 (grenade launcher) on the bottom rail.

That is a sweet setup though. Glass lets you shoot as far as you see.

I've Used the 417 on two tours in Afghanistan, and I'm not a Big fan.
The front rail is too heavy, the magazines are too bulky, the trigger is one of the worst I've tried. image.jpg

That was the Assymetric Warfare Group. They are technically an "SMU," but they are not SOF. It's kind of strange.

I like what you did there (If it was intentional)... otherwise you need an NCO to proofread for you to catch typos. Sso, Sir, once again you have fomented dissent in my brain, I can't be sure if you are clever, or without supervision.....O_o:wall::-"

As for the 7.62 debate. I'm kind of shocked the SAS doesn't have a 7.62 platform. I love 5.56, but agree 7.62 wins in the long range department. CQB with 7.62 (although very doable) wouldn't be my first choice.

My $.02

Not really if your zeroed with the can and you have POA/POI change by removing the can. However, being that he is running an EOTech, I will agree, its kind of stupid.
He has a damn bean bag for a rifle rest. If he can not make adjustments, there is 2 reasons for the photo and your reasons are unjust. He is not a professional, or it is a photo op. Does anyone else see the stupid in this? Not directed at you JAB.

He has a damn bean bag for a rifle rest. If he can not make adjustments, there is 2 reasons for the photo and your reasons are unjust. He is not a professional, or it is a photo op. Does anyone else see the stupid in this? Not directed at you JAB.

... and... the bird is on the ground, without rotors turning... staged photo op.

As for the 7.62 debate. I'm kind of shocked the SAS doesn't have a 7.62 platform. I love 5.56, but agree 7.62 wins in the long range department. CQB with 7.62 (although very doable) wouldn't be my first choice.

My $.02
Cut off the barrel just front of the leaf sight. If you don't whack 'em the flame should either:
A) make them shit themselves with fright
B) singe their eyebrows.

He is a professional with 15+ years in SOF to date. I don't know why he used a can but I'm guessing Jab is probably right in his assertion it has something to do with zeroing . I'll ask him and see what he says.

In relation to the bean bag, I'm assuming they tried various techniques for shooting from a helo and this worked best.. There is a video floating around with them in Tchad with French SOF using various techniques for a stable platform shooting from a helo.

At 3.00mins they're using the can to fire from a helo.

Last edited:
Yeah suppressor a are used for a variety of reasons apart from sound reduction.

Back