SEAL of Honor: Operations Red Wings and the Life of Lt. Michael P. Murphy, USN

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyBoyUSMC

Click, click, boom.
Verified Military
Book Description from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Seal-Honor-Op...ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274788221&sr=8-1-catcorr

Lt. Michael Patrick Murphy, leader of a reconnaissance squad from Navy SEAL Team 10, posthumously received the Congressional Medal of Honor for his heroic actions on 28 June 2005, during a fierce battle with Taliban fighters in the remote mountains of eastern Afghanistan. Michael was the first recipient of the nation s highest military honor as a result of U.S. involvement in Afghanistan. He was also the first naval officer to earn the medal since the Vietnam War, and the first SEAL to be honored posthumously. A young man of great character, he is the subject of Naval Special Warfare courses on leadership, and an Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer, naval base, school, post office, ball park, and hospital emergency room have all been named in his honor. In his bestselling book, Marcus Luttrell, the only survivor of Operation Red Wings, called Michael the best officer he ever knew, an iron-souled warrior of colossal, almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy. SEAL of Honor tells the story of Michael s life and how he came to be that man of selfless courage and honor. This biography argues that his heroic action during the deadly firefight with the Taliban revealed his true character and attempts to answer why Michael readily sacrificed his life for his comrades. SEAL of Honor is the story of a valiant young man, who was recognized by his peers for his compassion and for his leadership, because he was guided by an extraordinary sense of duty and responsibility. Tracing Michael s journey from a seemingly ordinary life on New York s Long Island, to that remote mountainside in Afghanistan, SEAL of Honor portrays how he came the moment of the extraordinary heroism that made him the most celebrated Medal of Honor recipient since WWII. Moreover, the book brings the Afghan war back to the home front, focusing on the tight knit Murphy family and the devastating effect of his death upon them as they watched the story of Operation Red Wings unfold in the news. The book attempts to answer why Michael s service to his country and his comrades was a calling faithfully answered, a duty justly upheld, and a life, while all too short, well lived.
Read Lone Survivor and could not put it down, just picked this up and am in the middle of another book but can't wait to start! I may be a Marine, and while we have our rivalry with the Navy, I can say that THIS is the sort of man that I will always truly respect, admire, and strive to be more like. All respect to you SEAL's out there. Thought at the very least a Devil Dog could show a lil mutual warrior respect and help let other's know about this book.

If you use the ShadowSpear search engine, using the term "Michael Murphy," you will find that there are already several posts/threads with the same info you just posted.

Also, even though Amazon may have posted it that way, the award is not called the Congressional Medal of Honor. It is simply the Medal of Honor.

Please do a little more research before posting. And if your opening paragraph was taken from the Amazon page, then you should use quotation marks, since the thoughts you published are not your own.

Got my copy of "Lone Survivor" signed by the Man himself.

Sorry LL, I'll have to send you a new hard copy. :D

No, this is a NEW book that was just released this month, I don't think it has been mentioned on this board yet. First time I've seen it mentioned anywhere, I say nice post, and I have placed an order for the book.

Book Despcription from Amazon:

Lt. Michael Patrick Murphy, leader of a reconnaissance squad from Navy SEAL Team 10, posthumously received the Congressional Medal of Honor for his heroic actions on 28 June 2005, during a fierce battle with Taliban fighters in the remote mountains of eastern Afghanistan. Michael was the first recipient of the nation s highest military honor as a result of U.S. involvement in Afghanistan. He was also the first naval officer to earn the medal since the Vietnam War, and the first SEAL to be honored posthumously. A young man of great character, he is the subject of Naval Special Warfare courses on leadership, and an Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer, naval base, school, post office, ball park, and hospital emergency room have all been named in his honor. In his bestselling book, Marcus Luttrell, the only survivor of Operation Red Wings, called Michael the best officer he ever knew, an iron-souled warrior of colossal, almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy. SEAL of Honor tells the story of Michael s life and how he came to be that man of selfless courage and honor. This biography argues that his heroic action during the deadly firefight with the Taliban revealed his true character and attempts to answer why Michael readily sacrificed his life for his comrades. SEAL of Honor is the story of a valiant young man, who was recognized by his peers for his compassion and for his leadership, because he was guided by an extraordinary sense of duty and responsibility. Tracing Michael s journey from a seemingly ordinary life on New York s Long Island, to that remote mountainside in Afghanistan, SEAL of Honor portrays how he came the moment of the extraordinary heroism that made him the most celebrated Medal of Honor recipient since WWII. Moreover, the book brings the Afghan war back to the home front, focusing on the tight knit Murphy family and the devastating effect of his death upon them as they watched the story of Operation Red Wings unfold in the news. The book attempts to answer why Michael s service to his country and his comrades was a calling faithfully answered, a duty justly upheld, and a life, while all too short, well lived.

Read Lone Survivor and could not put it down, just picked this up and am in the middle of another book but can't wait to start! I may be a Marine, and while we have our rivalry with the Navy, I can say that THIS is the sort of man that I will always truly respect, admire, and strive to be more like. All respect to you SEAL's out there. Thought at the very least a Devil Dog could show a lil mutual warrior respect and help let other's know about this book.
http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/richmedia/images/cover.gif

This was the part that I was referring, the Lone Survivor aspect.

Remember, Ready, Aim, Fire before hitting the submit button. :D

I see where this thread is going and if another staff member wants to reopen it they are welcome to do so......

Diesel_Actual, you may need to slow down a little. Sharpshooting fast-roping techniques and now meandering down this path? Slow your breathing, focus on your trigger squeeze, and tighten your shot groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back