SEALS ordered to remove "don't tread on me" from uniforms?

Considering EVERY sailor I've seen in Afghanistan wears that flag, the story smells.

Did the Navy change its policy?

Some sovereign citizen groups use the Gadsden flag.

The Gadsden flag is a historical American flag with a yellow field depicting a rattlesnake coiled and ready to strike. Positioned below the rattlesnake are the words "Dont tread on me". The flag is named after American general and statesman Christopher Gadsden, who designed it in 1775 during the American revolution. It was also used by the Continental Marines as an early motto flag, along with the Moultrie Flag.

But I have not seen the Navy Jack version of Gadsden's flag used in any groups, has anyone else seen it used?

Don't let any private groups change our history......don't surrender to that kind of PC thinking.

From what I read it said that they needed to wear the appropriate flag left/right shoulder patch and not replace one of the flags with the dont' tread on me flag. If this is the case we are discussing a basic military uniformity issue. I don't think they are telling the SEALs to remove all gadsden flags from their kit, just their uniforms. Marines, Soldiers and Airmen can't put the gagsden flag on their uniforms either btw. Flak jacket sure, shoulder patch no. I would wait to see more information before rushing to a verdict on this one.

"...those who display the Gadsen flag..." is one of the 72 recognized 'they could be terrorists' in the DHS list... As are those who are for States rights, those who suddenly purchase weapons, hoard/stockpile ammunition, veterans, against Agenda 21, rail against a one world government, believe in the Constitution, are against communism... need I go on?

Can't find the DHS document right now... I'll find it and post it... of 72 I think I hit 40+

Last edited:
Unless the Navy changed their uniform policy, I'm calling BS on the story. Like I said earlier, EVERY sailor I came in contact with in Afghanistan wore the Navy Jack.....and I'm going back to 2006. This encompasses, PRT's, every single Prowler/ Growler squadron, and IA's assigned to various units. Hundreds upon hundreds of sailors.

While not every photo in the Navy website shows sailors rocking the Navy Jack (for whatever reasons), there are these:

August: http://www.navy.mil/view_image.asp?id=161991

May: http://www.navy.mil/view_image.asp?id=152149

May with the SECNAV present: http://www.navy.mil/view_image.asp?id=151200

Unless the Navy changed its uniform policy, the story is either BS or a local command issue.

Every Sailor I saw in Afghanistan was wearing it. They told us it's their generic deployment patch.

I have seen this story on several occasions floating around the internet. I have yet to discover what I would consider a credible source. I'm pissed off, bitter and got more than enough paranoia. If I start taking everything on the internet as fact I would be in a cave barricaded with gun ports at this point. I spend nights awake, or dream about empty guns in fights going click, that's just the real crap and what to do, this kind of stuff is not helpful. Hey, are we sure this isn't some unemployed e-9 making up uniform regs as he goes or some over blown stupidity at the command level?

"...those who display the Gadsen flag..." is one of the 72 recognized 'they could be terrorists' in the DHS list... As are those who are for States rights, those who suddenly purchase weapons, hoard/stockpile ammunition, veterans, against Agenda 21, rail against a one world government, believe in the Constitution, are against communism... need I go on?

Can't find the DHS document right now... I'll find it and post it... of 72 I think I hit 40+

Guess I better scrape the Gadsen Flag sticker off my truck... :rolleyes:

....or a my little pony patch :wall:

I never experienced that personally, although I remember well the thread we had on it a while back. One young ensign did, in fact, decide it would be a good idea to show up for her first day of working for me (in Afghanistan) sporting a Secret Squirrel patch on her ACUs. This, in a Task Force in which no one wore any shoulder patches, other than a subdued US flag.

Back