Security Clearance Question

ThatCatchGuy

Unverified
From my intro I posted interest in an 11x Opt 40. But its come to my attention that I would need a security clearance. What would I need to get squared away in order to get cleared. I do have a bit of debt but I am working on paying it off. Any info would be appreciated thank you.

Roger that x SF med. No history of runs in with the law so I'm clean. I was in debt (no fault of my own) but turned it around and almost completely debt free. Even though of paid my dues back with interest, will that hurt my chances?

For the clearance, they look hard at 3 things- finances, crimes, and questionable relations. Questionable relationships/family ties seem to be the biggest one as there's not much you can do to prove otherwise or undo them. Finances and criminal history can be undone or show improvement, know what I mean? It's a 2 out of 3 thing- just finances shouldn't be too bad unless it's so bad that you could be exploited through $$$.

Bottom line, never select yourself. Apply for it, be confident, and take what's yours.

Tell the truth. Even the slightest thing that you hold back will be looked upon as something that foreign intel agents can blackmail you with.

Drugs? "Yeah. I did some."

Debt? "Yeah I have some but I'm working them off, and here's how...."

If there's something that a FI agent can hold over your head, and possibly "flip" you for, then let them know.

You're not gonna get a clearance if you admit to having been a meth dealer, for instance, but as long as "we" know about it, and that you're working on it, it's to your advantage. I've been "cleared for weird" for many years......so just tell the truth. If you lie, you'll eventually get bit in the ass....and possibly go to prison for lying about it.

My concern is toward the finances, i have roughly 17k in debt, i have paid off 2k(started at 19k). Will this still be a problem, even if it shows i am getting in paid off?

No criminal record
No relationship problems

Note: I am posting here because despite it being 5 years old because i dont think opening a new thread would align with what i have been told.

Being in a reasonable amount of debt is fine and expected. It's when your debt is clearly outside your ability to pay it back, you are delinquent/in default on multiple accounts, or the debt you have shows a potential for exploitation. For example, if you're in debt 17K because of gambling, that's a red flag. A car, credit cards, and student loan are normal. See the difference? Clearances are always the whole person concept. Anything that the system flags will get reviewed, and that reviewer may send it to an investigator to come interview you and ask some questions. Be honest and just tell them what happened and what your plan is. The investigator will write a report and kick it back up the chain. There may be follow on questions, there may not. Personally, I wouldn't stress over 17K in debt unless your lender was El Chapo or something.

It was a backhanded compliment, that's a good a s a hug from Freefalling.:-o:thumbsup:

Sir, I reject your negativity where my emotional openness is concerned. That you would smear my name and reputation with comments detrimental to others' perceptions of me border on libel. My heart has an open door policy and your cynicism and negativity are unacceptable!

Sir, I reject your negativity where my emotional openness is concerned. That you would smear my name and reputation with comments detrimental to others' perceptions of me border on libel. My heart has an open door policy and your cynicism and negativity are unacceptable!

wow... proof that the truth hurts... }:-) you need to hug Rufus and TJ and sing Napalm sticks to kids to calm yourself....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Alright. so!

As of today i have my ASVAB appointment(next tuesday the 1st)

I know CDG said not to worry about it, but in the case that it does get rejected, what should i do?

Debt consolidation, new loan or what?

basically the recruiter said i have to show i am paying it off.

here is the kicker to this though

2of my debts no longer accept payments and require the full amount to be payed off($9k and 5.5k). the others i am making payments on.

thanks guys!

I know CDG said not to worry about it, but in the case that it does get rejected, what should i do?

$.02:

- For best financial situation results, IMO, seek the guidance of a Chartered Financial Consultant or Certified Financial Planner.

Find a Financial Planner

- Accept that the time and conditions may not be right to rejoin the military at the moment. You're 23, its not yet a biggie.

- Do PT.

- Learn and practice proper written punctuation and syntax. I don't know much about Tanker land, but even here in the slingblade Infantry that stuff is quite important.

$.02:

- For best financial situation results, IMO, seek the guidance of a Chartered Financial Consultant or Certified Financial Planner.

Find a Financial Planner

- Accept that the time and conditions may not be right to rejoin the military at the moment. You're 23, its not yet a biggie.

- Do PT.

- Learn and practice proper written punctuation and syntax. I don't know much about Tanker land, but even here in the slingblade Infantry that stuff is quite important.
Hey thanks!

Yea, I am quite bad with punctuation and syntax. Language arts was not my forte, I will work on it!

Alright. so!

As of today i have my ASVAB appointment(next tuesday the 1st)

Debt consolidation, new loan or what?

basically the recruiter said i have to show i am paying it off.

here is the kicker to this though

2of my debts no longer accept payments and require the full amount to be payed off($9k and 5.5k). the others i am making payments on.

thanks guys!
The bold probably should have been in your initial post. Why are they not taking payments and requiring full pay off? Sounds to me like it's past the point of being delinquent and the debt collectors are turning the screws. That usually only happens after someone has let debt go unpaid for quite a lengthy period of time.
I might be speaking from past experience on this...

The bold probably should have been in your initial post. Why are they not taking payments and requiring full pay off? Sounds to me like it's past the point of being delinquent and the debt collectors are turning the screws. That usually only happens after someone has let debt go unpaid for quite a lengthy period of time.
I might be speaking from past experience on this...
I couldnt afford to pay them off, i cant pay with money i do not have. :)

Back