Seeking Guidance

Unverified
Good evening all,

I would like to start off by saying that I have been a lurker on this site for nearly 2 years and have greatly appreciated the wealth of knowledge and guidance you all have provided to this community. However, with my senior year of high-school coming to a close it is time for me to make important decisions for my future. More specifically, if I should join the military as I have always wanted to do rather than attending college. The only thing that is holding me back is my acceptance to a very selective New England college and my size. I currently stand at 5’7” weighing in at ~115lbs and realize that this incredibly small. I am however very athletic as I have competed in select hockey and varsity level cross country throughout high-school. As well as this, my acceptance to this college has made my family incredibly proud and they do not view the military in the same way I do because they are uneducated about it. Besides these two things, my heart tells me to join the military as I do not want to waste neither my parents money nor my own for college because I am incredibly uninterested in it. I know I must come to a decision for myself on my college situation so I am not directly seeking advice on that part (although if you want to offer some up, please do). With that being said, my current plan (which might be subject to change) is to speak with a recruiter this summer to obtain either a Recon contract or Ranger contract. So my question is, if I were to join right after high-school how much weight should I bulk up on?

Side Note:
I am currently in season for hockey and practice 5x a week and do Crossfit styled workouts with our school trainer 4x a week.

Thank you

Judging by your post, you are well ahead of your peers in the maturity department. Ultimately, you need to do what you feel is right for you. Many of us joined out of high school and wouldn't trade it for anything. I joined Active Duty when I was 19. Got out, started college, joined the National Guard, and I couldn't be happier. I owe everything I have today because of that early experience...It would have been entirely free had I not taken any loans because of my lack of interest to work; thank baby Jesus for student loan replacement. Back on topic, the Army after high school will give you a life experience you won't receive from college. I appreciated the fact I had something fruitful to bring to the discussions when I went back to school. My professors respected my experience and opinion over others. The GI Bill isn't something to scoff at either.

You are on the small side which will make things difficult, but not impossible. I've seen remarkable things from individuals that I tower over. Wouldn't hurt to throw on weight. You need to see where your numbers are with the current PT test, the new ACFT, 5 mile run, and ruck times. I highly recommend Military Athlete, now Mountain Tactical Institute, and have purchased several of their programs. I also recommend the subscription.

Now, onto the more serious observation...your post was well thought out, mature, and not written in crayon; the Marines isn't for you.

Welcome.

Keep eating a lot, but don’t sacrifice your endurance for strength. That being said, the other guys next to you are going to be holding weight above their heads, or on their back that is going to be a lot harder for you. Keep your endurance up, but also make sure you can ruck, squat, lunge, front carry (heavy sandbag is best carried under hand with both arms) and hold weight above your head.

I can’t speak for Ranger or Recon, but in BUD/S and Basic Crewman Selection(SWCC-BCS), smaller guys really failed their boat crew IF their hands weren’t strong enough, if they couldn’t carry the weight of the boat on their head, if they couldn’t carry weight extended arm overhead, if they couldn’t carry a log or a hawser line front carry (this is really a big one), if they couldn’t lunge and squat with weight, if they couldn’t lift objects from the floor, and if they couldn’t carry their buddy on their shoulders.

I don’t really care how big you are, but start carrying weight in these ways for lengths of time while moving. Train smart, progress and avoid injury. If you start training to lift things like a guy who is bigger than you, the weight will come on naturally.

Do not stop doing calisthenics though.

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses,

After looking into the Mountain Tactical Institute I have decided to purchase a subscription. I will keep you all updated on my situation this summer as I decide what my next steps are.

Once again, thank you.

If you are hitting excellent numbers, consider using a weight vest in everything you do to add to your weight and then work toward your current numbers again.

I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for myself when I say I'm the same way. I won't give exact specifics because it's irrelevant, but I have never been able to gain weight like most people can. Exercising makes this harder for anyone. The biggest most important thing to do is eat, eat, and then when you're full and can't eat anymore, eat. Don't eat crappy food, but try to eat as much as possible. There are no shortcuts, especially to gaining healthy, muscle weight.

I tend to make a lot of trail mix, eat a lot of eggs/oatmeal, and try to keep my main meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) balanced.

Like all said before though, if you can walk the walk, nobody cares how big you are.

Eat high caloric foods. I did a lot of protien bars and shakes outside of meals in my professional triathlete days. I was consuming over 8000cals a day. Traditional foods just won't do it, aside from my nightly pizza or massive burger.

If you're training hard and getting the right vitamins/minerals, the cals will burn. Don't over think it.

Hi all,

Since I have posted my original thread I have been using Mountain Tactical Athlete. It is an insanely good resource and has a program for nearly every shape and size. Currently I am doing the Hypertrophy for Skinny Guys program and plan on finishing that out. So far my program progession will be as follows, Hypertrophy>Strength> Strength>Hypertrophy>Strength>and finally the SFOD-D training packet (If I choose the army, SWCC is sounding more and more interesting the longer I look into it) once I have packed on considerable size. As far as length goes each of these programs (besides the SFOD-D packet which is a selection training packet) are about 4 weeks each so it works out to be ~5 months of strength and hypertrophy work. The program progession should run until about early June then I will start training for the military. I am keeping my nutrition up and am making sure I am in a caloric surplus everyday. On the endurance side of things, my sports I am participating in provide plenty of that and there are work capacity days built into each of the programs.

Back