SF & "good old" .45

Will, what's the worst conditions that you have endured, relying on a firearm for your safety and the safety of those around you?

Force Recon uses the Springfield 1911 ?

The Marines issue a 45 automatic to their MEU(SOC) personnel. The issued guns had to go through extensive testing. I don't believe any one manufacturer produces them, at least not for MEUSOC. According to Ed Brown

" Each MEU(SOC) 1911 .45 Automatic pistol is hand-built by specially trained armorers in the Precision Weapons Section, Quantico, Virginia. Essentially, each of these pistols is a custom-built, combat grade, fixed sight .45 automatic--and "that guy" said it didn't happen anymore. The frames for the MEU(SOC) pistols are taken from the existing stocks of retired Marine 1911 pistols. The slides, and all the other parts, are a different matter. The Marines procure a more durable "hard" commercial slide as well as everything else from current manufacturers via open purchase or military contract. The beavertail grip safety, grips, hammers and triggers, etc. are quality after market items."

I know other groups who get 1911 do use specific companies to build them however.

Will, what's the worst conditions that you have endured, relying on a firearm for your safety and the safety of those around you?

I do not use my experience as a test for such a comments. I am using the experiences of people I deal with and know from SOF backgrounds who have gone to war, or guys on LEO tactical teams, etc. I would never compare my personal experiences and base my opinions on that in relation to what I said above, and your question is a fair one.

I've had a Glock 17 in the past and sold it and got a SIG 226. After using the M9 in the Army, about the only thing I think it's good for now is a paperweight.

Beretta actually makes shittier pistols than the m9. Good thing the Army didnt go for them.

Their brand managers probably didn't have the budget to fund the necessary kickbacks .

I had a Sig 226 issued to me overseas... Loved it. Puts our other pistol the BHP to shame.

M9? or SIG? or .45?

Different groups are going with different pistols. From what I've heard (from various public sources) the Navy is sticking with SIG 226 for the SEALS, official issue anyway.. they use whatever they need I'm sure. The army is sticking with M9 and SIG 228 (the JSP- Joint Service Pistol competition is on hold for now.) I'm sure they still have Mk23 .45's for certain army groups. The Marines will be using various .45's for Marine Spec-ops. Some will use Springfield Armory, some are using good old Colt. I have also heard that a certain group of Marines will be using Kimber .45's. In fact you can purchase a .45 from Kimber right now that is similar to the issue version. It's called the Warrior. Or Desert Warrior in FDE. The safety, sights, and tactical rail are different, but it's similar. I'm sure most want .45 for a simple reason. It works. I used to prefer .40 when I could have (legally) high cap mags. But now, a nice 10 shot .45 would be just fine thank you. Maybe a SIG 220 Combat or an HK45. I don't care for Glocks personally, but I have a couple friends with model 21's who love 'em. I'd say ammunition and shot placement is more important than caliber though. (my humble civilian opinion of course) After all, the SEALs even use .22's :)

We have M9s and Glock .45 for use. Its whatever the individual prefers. Almost all prefer the glocks

Pistol, Caliber .22, Automatic, High Standard, Model HD (NSN 1005-00- 908-2386)

One additional pistol is carried in the armory. This is the High Standard HD, a suppressed .22 caliber pistol whose origins were in the OSS of WW2.

A special purpose weapon, its effective suppressor permits quiet shots at very close range. While the effectiveness of the .22 Long Rifle round can be questioned, it is a useful weapon within its design parameters.

The 1911 is the preferred sidearm for SOF and many LE. Some units have to buy 1911's with their funds and some units are issued 1911's.

Reliability and knock down.

What specifically do some of you not like about the issue M9? Is it the pistol itself or the round that you are unhappy with?

DISCLAIMER: No I haven't fired thousands of rounds through the M9 on a range or used it in high-intensity combat operations. Just wanted to know more for my own education.

I love a 1911 that's broken in, slides like butter, rocks with the kick. If I'm down to my sidearm I don't need a matchgrade bitch, I want a fucking cannon that's going to stop that MFer from sticking me like a pig. But there's a lot to be said for a double stacked 45ACP. And there's a reason they are called Fag 9's.

Back