Sgt. Charles I. Cartwright - MARSOC

peefyloo

The ShanMan
Unverified
http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=13115

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Sgt. Charles I. Cartwright, 26, of Union Bridge, Md., died Nov. 7 while supporting combat operations in Farah province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 1st Marine Special Operations Battalion, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

For additional background information on this Marine, news media representatives may contact the U.S. Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command public affairs office at 910-440-0770.

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/military/article_5e4c1755-4ae9-54d1-9f77-711ebf537938.html

A Marine sergeant assigned to Camp Pendleton's 1st Marine Special Operations Battalion has been killed in Afghanistan, the Defense Department announced Tuesday.

Sgt. Charles I. Cartwright, 26, of Union Bridge, Md., died Saturday in the country's southwestern Farah province, the department said.

Details surrounding his death were not immediately available.

The only information was that he was involved in "combat operations" when he was killed.

Cartwright had been wounded in a previous combat deployment.

Cartwright joined the Marine Corps one day before the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and was trained as a reconnaissance man.

He became a sergeant in 2006 and joined the Marine Corps' newly formed Special Operations unit shortly after it was formed in the fall of that year.

He had two previous combat assignments in Iraq.

Cartwright is the seventh Special Operations Battalion Marine to die in Afghanistan since the unit began work there in 2007, said Maj. Michael Armistead, Special Operations spokesman.

His death is the second for the Camp Pendleton battalion in a little more than two months.

Capt. Joshua Meadows, 30, of Carlsbad, died in a small arms firefight on Sept. 5.

At least 200 members of the battalion are in Afghanistan to oversee Special Operations missions involving all branches of the U.S. military in northern and western regions of the country.

RIP devil dog. Say hi to Dan Daly, Chesty, and the rest of the crew... Semper Fi.

Back