Shopping for Optics...

What's the point in being an amoral war profiteer if you can't spend the big bucks on flash toys :p How much did your rifle cost?

I think I have about 1500 in my rifle. While I'd maybe do a few things differently now, I'm still very pleased with the results, especially since it is my first build. Once I have my optic I'm just going to shoot. I'd rather spend the money on ammo than the "perfect" set up.

You lucky bastard.

It would cost me around NZ$10k to build a decent rifle. A Bushmaster is NZ$7.5k on its own. Don't get me started on the licensing costs.
http://www.guncity.co.nz/223-bushmaster-ar15-carbine-xidp231429.html

Mate I won't even tell you what my AR cost, you'd being crying for days...

Can you not buy a 'cheap' semi auto .22 then import a cheap AR and swap the .22 with the cops?

Let me think, I may still have a rifle or two buried somewhere back there... lol

This is a cheap'o that might be worth a try...

http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-1-4x24-CMR-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P45852.aspx

I have a friend who uses the Nikon M223 1-4x, he seems to be happy with it. I use the M223 3-12x on one of my DMR's and it works pretty damn good. Really like the BDC reticale they came out with....

I just picked up a Night Force 5-22x 50 for $1200, the normal MSRP is about $1900.......So there are deals to be had, you might check out Snipers Hide for a 1-4x

...I was mainly lamenting that there are so many options for a scope a n00b like myself will spend a great deal of time figuring out what's what, not to mention the cost of a good optic. It is a little mind-blowing.

So right you are brother.

Prior to this trip I dropped 1,000.00 on a 5.56mm - 16" heavy barrel, flat top receiver, with troy TRX tube and then sat out to find an optic I would like to run on my new toy (as if I didnt have enough on my other guns.)

I would really like a Leupy 1.1-8 but cant really really justify the 3,500.00+ one would cost.

Sometimes you can just never be happy with what you have, or at least I cant.

One of the price reasonable scope are the Alpin models. I have been looking at one with 30mm tubes for around $300 from Optic planet. I had a chance to handle a few, they seem really well made. I am basically a Burris/Leopold fan. The rifle that I am going to mount it on, is a 6.8SPC AR varminter.

I've pretty much settled on this one:
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P48362.aspx

I was mainly lamenting that there are so many options for a scope a n00b like myself will spend a great deal of time figuring out what's what, not to mention the cost of a good optic. It is a little mind-blowing.

I can get Trijicon stuff, even shipped by me from up here to you, for around a hundred cheaper. Have you handled any of the Trij stuff in person?

Negative. I don't have a 1-4... I have a 2.5-10x56 Trijicon Accupoint... which does come in a mil dot reticle, tritium and fiber optic powered, 2.5 is cake for CQM style shit. I personally like it considering my AR's a pseudo-SPR style build anyway. I'll be replacing the Leupold on the 7 mag with the high magnification variant they make, and when finances allow the upgrading to 7.62 for primary rifles for the family, they'll be topped with this same scope.

How do you like the illuminated dot on this? Which color did you get and are you happy with the color of the dot?

It's a yellow dot. Green is brighter w/ tritium, but to be honest I didn't really care nor do I care a whole lot what color the dot IS.

Daylight, you have a large duplex reticle encompassing the entire area of the scope's field of view... so that gets you homed in pretty well just like the dot and crosshatched ring on Eotechs. Nighttime, it's a dot of light against a dark background, not nearly as nice as a full illuminated reticle... however, when I was handed a nightforce to play with (their 1-4x variant) I found that I HAD to have the illuminator on to even be able to see the reticle easily..

All in all, I'm happy with what I got. What I would get different is really nitpicky, I'd get green because tritium glows green naturally so it will be the brightest. I also would get a mildot reticle just because they can prove handy in some circumstances.

Back