Shot Placement (Graphic Video)

TheWookie

Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Verified Military
Warning - video is graphic :eek:

I met Steve Rodriguez when I was part of a DM Mobile Training Team, he's a Marine Sniper from Vietnam, at the time I met him he worked for the Albuquerque N.M. SWAT. I used this video as an attention getter when I taught a Shot Placement class for DM school. I attached a link to a 60 minutes story about 'Snipers' that came out a few years ago, where they mention Steve. Ironically, the lady in the video that is sprayed with brains sued the ANM Police Department -- and I believe she won for undue pain and suffering, or something like that.... What a great country we live in.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zZgU3ooqQzM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zZgU3ooqQzM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

Thirteen-year veteran Steve Rodriguez was in place in Albuquerque, N.M., as police responded to an armed bank robbery in progress. Looking through the scope, Rodriguez could see someone with dark hair, sunglasses, in a suit, and holding a woman by the arm, he recalls.

Rodriguez's target was smaller than a softball. But Rodriguez managed to center the man in his sights and squeeze the rifle trigger.

He fired two times and missed. Rodriguez had failed to adjust his rifle scope, sending his bullets slamming into a concrete wall.

Rodriguez says he fired the third shot and hit the target at the top of his head, exactly where he had been aiming.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/01/25/60II/main267184.shtml

Ironically, the lady in the video that is sprayed with brains sued the ANM Police Department
Brilliant.

People like this should be given cement shoes and dumped offshore, along with their lawyers. Worthless bags of guts and vocal chords.

I hope she invested the entire settlement including her attorneys share with Bernie Madoff.

What did you feel when you pulled the trigger "Recoil"

Ironically, the lady in the video that is sprayed with brains sued the ANM Police Department

Great shot.

Maybe my memory's fuzzy from wear and tear, but IIRC, it was the POS family members that tried to sue the PD. The case was thrown out as it was ruled a justifiable shoot and the suspects family never got a dime for his dirt nap.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that was Steve's only confirmed kill with APD. Didn't he shoot a guy on a bridge as well?

Yes, the bridge shot is very impressive, a legend if you will... :cool:

Steve Rodriguez's career alone included five instances of shooting his weapon, involving the killing of four people. On one cold December night, he was told a baby's life was in danger; her father was threatening to toss her over the side of a bridge spanning the Rio Grand.

"And so we busted two roadblocks, diversions, to get people off the freeway," Rodriguez says. "I started running."

"I had about 65 pounds of personal gear on my body, with body armor, ammunition, things like that," he recalls. "Then I had about another 20, 25 pounds of rifle and bag."

Rodriguez ran half a mile through stalled traffic and took up position behind a parked police cruiser. He had no way to communicate with other officers. He just went on instinct.

By the time he arrived on the bridge, he thought things were falling apart. egotiations appeared to have failed. One officer was walking away. He pulled out his sniper rifle and looked through the scope and thought, "It's up to me; it's now or never."

"While the man was holding the baby over the edge of the precipice, there's nothing we can do," he explains. "Once he brings it back to our side of the bridge, if I can get a central nervous system hit, and he falls straight down,...then the baby will not fall over the edge."

He didn't see the man holding a weapon - just the baby over the edge, he says. Nor had anyone told him that the man had a weapon.

"It was about 90 seconds from the time I saw him till the time I fired the shot," Rodriguez says.

It was a direct hit. The man died instantly. The baby survived.

No one had told him it was not possible to talk this man off the bridge, according to Rodriguez. Nor was he told: We give up. You take the shot.

"The time was compressed far too much for that," he says.

The victim's family didn't think so and sued. But a jury eventually decided in Rodriguez's favor, concluding the shooting was justified.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/01/25/60II/main267184.shtml

What is all this bullshit of a criminals family sueing the PD. The criminal was the fucker in the wrong to be begin with hence the term "criminal"....his family should be shot too for supporting his actions.

What is all this bullshit of a criminals family sueing the PD. The criminal was the fucker in the wrong to be begin with hence the term "criminal"....his family should be shot too for supporting his actions.

Blame part of it on ambulance chasers (attorneys) in the hunt for deep pockets.

Back