Shotguns....

Tell me what Remington that is autoloading and I can change the front sight out and use a ghost ring for the rear sight.
I'm pretty sure you can with an 11-87, or possibly the 1100 tactical. Not 100% sure though, if you'd like I can check tomorrow at work.

I have to agree with Invisible J. I've never seen an 870 fail and I have more round through mine than most will see in a lifetime. I've seen guys use them for boat paddles duck hunting and try to freeze them into dysfunction, but it never happened. I love the Beretta 391's and they can be modified easily, but they don't function well if you aren't 100% on top of your cleaning. As for your question about slugs and buck shot out of the same gun you should be fine as long as you look for a gun with a Cylinder choke for a fixed choke gun, but most modern shotguns come with screw in chokes and once again just screw in a cylinder choke for the slugs and you are ready to rock. you can also get rifiled barrels for the slugs but they would mess with your buck shot. Hope this helps!

Best shotgun I've ever used was an issued Benelli M4. The only problem with them was they wouldn't cycle less-lethal ammo, but that was related to the lower charge in those rounds (and I suspect it is the same with breaching rounds). Excellent factory ghost ring sights.

For a pump, I'd buy a beat-up Remington 870 or 870P police trade-in and send it to Wilson Combat/Scattergun Technologies for the Remington Steal package http://www.wilsoncombat.com/s_remingtion_steal.htm

I wont use anything apart from an 870 given a choice after owning a 500 and a 590 and carrying a Benelli M4 for work.

Is there any chance you can go to a shotgun club and try out some different models to find the one thats right for you? I know with arms like your's the average shotty is going to feel like a nerf gun.

Too bad you didn't need this a couple of months ago, I had a deal on a Benelli M4 almost NIB for $600 and couldn't find any takers for the guy. I don't need anymore shotties at the moment or would have purchased it myself. I'm set up at the Louisville gun show this weekend and will look for something tomorrow and send a pic and text, so keep your phone handy man.

Best shotgun I've ever used was an issued Benelli M4. The only problem with them was they wouldn't cycle less-lethal ammo, but that was related to the lower charge in those rounds (and I suspect it is the same with breaching rounds). Excellent factory ghost ring sights.

For a pump, I'd buy a beat-up Remington 870 or 870P police trade-in and send it to Wilson Combat/Scattergun Technologies for the Remington Steal package http://www.wilsoncombat.com/s_remingtion_steal.htm

I agree with the Remington 870. Thanks for the link to Wilson!

RF 1

I am an idiot when it comes to shotguns. I am looking for something I can build into a "Zombie Gun". I have looked at the Mossberg 930 SPX http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=32&section=products but I have read a lot about there QC issues on sights. I have been looking at Remington's but need to know if I can build it. As in change the front and rear sight or add a rear sight...Ghost Ring. FF has already given me a great site to get tube extenders and since I am a large guy a 28 inch barrel does not mean shit besides maybe making a 10 + 1 shotgun. The other worry is ammo. Can you use buck shot plus slugs at the same time without changing the barrel????

Any input would be great

I am not sure what a "zombie gun" is, googled it and saw a lot of weird stuff. However I have some experience with various kinds of shotguns. From IPSC type of shooting to competition in clay targets. Are you shopping for a close quarters home-defence shotgun? And if so, how much time are you willing to spend training/shooting with it?

Are you looking for something that you can also aim well at distances over 30-40 yards? Do you want an autoloader, or a pump action will do?

I am not sure what a "zombie gun" is, googled it and saw a lot of weird stuff. However I have some experience with various kinds of shotguns. From IPSC type of shooting to competition in clay targets. Are you shopping for a close quarters home-defence shotgun? And if so, how much time are you willing to spend training/shooting with it?

Are you looking for something that you can also aim well at distances over 30-40 yards? Do you want an autoloader, or a pump action will do?
Autoloader 30 40 yards would be nice

FWIW on on old thread:

Mossberg is going to release their Jerry Miculek 930 model. He's working the Mossberg booth at SHOT.

Pulled from a thread on another forum:
Some trigger parts chromed and polished
Loading port opened up
Chromed gas system as well.
Cocked hammer indicator.
Nordic tube extension and clamp.
Driilled and tapped fiber bead.
Oversized bolt handle and release button.
Oversized tang safety.
Available in a 22" 9+1 and a 24" 10+1
Available in 30 to 50 days.

MSRP is $715 so I'd think you should be able to buy one for $650-ish.

Too bad you don’t want a pump, because a Remington 870, even a used one could do just fine and on a very tight budget!

For an autoloader I would go for a variant of Benelli M-2.

I understand you are a big guy, but I would not go for a barrel longer than 24 inches because it would be cumbersome to use in enclosed spaces and barrel length has no real impact in shotgun range.

It is just a matter of what we call a better “sighting plane”. The longer it is, the better it is, when engaging small very rapidly moving targets (like birds or clay targets), which is not what you intend to do.

If money is a major concern, buy a used model from the line of M-2. I would make sure it has a “comfort stock” because it reduces felt recoil considerably, which is a big thing when you use heavy loads for buckshot or full power slugs and you plan on shooting quickly round after round.

Personally, I own an M-2 tactical with a 50cm barrel, an extended magazine and comfort stock and I can vouch for its lightness, accuracy and comfort.

For a new one, albeit not cheap at all, I would suggest this as it seems to be a very good choice from the line (not available in my country yet) The M2 3-gun competition model.

It has recoil reducing features (the comfort stock), lots of chokes, an ergonomic bolt release, a good bolt handle, 8+1 shots, plus other goodies . Its sort of a dream-shotgun for practical use, but as I said it is not cheap.

Now there is another important aspect I want to touch on. Do you plan on shooting your shotgun like a rifle, properly aiming it, establishing a sight picture etc. or are you willing to go the extra mile and point- shoot it with both eyes open, like a shotgun is supposed to be shot?

If the answer is yes on the second option, then there are some other things to discuss, and maybe you can forget about the ghost ring sight and sights in general, at least out to 30 yards.

870 Express - one of the most durable, and dependable scatter guns I've had.

Benelli - if you want what I consider the best auto loader out there.

Just mi dos centavos and change.....

I see. :-x In this case I would suggest:

TactiCool.JPG

Its good for various levels of threat escalation. I admit its a bit cumbersome and on the heavy side, but as some pointed out, Polar Bear is a big guy :D

And as a back up, this

2sadl.png

With this... you can also scratch your back! 8-)

Now there is another important aspect I want to touch on. Do you plan on shooting your shotgun like a rifle, properly aiming it, establishing a sight picture etc. or are you willing to go the extra mile and point- shoot it with both eyes open, like a shotgun is supposed to be shot?

If the answer is yes on the second option, then there are some other things to discuss, and maybe you can forget about the ghost ring sight and sights in general, at least out to 30 yards.

I agree with most of what you've said, but advocating point shooting a shotgun at 30 yards in a defensive situation is a little off the mark. For game shooting, fine; where there are good guy/bad guy targets and high stress, absolutely not.

point shooting a shotgun at 30 yards in a defensive situation is a little off the mark. For game shooting, fine; where there are good guy/bad guy targets and high stress, absolutely not.

You are absolutly right. I was just trying to make a broad point about the way a well fitting (and checked for Point Of Impact etc.) shotgun can be quickly shot out to certain distances IF you practice with it consistently, without elaborate/military sights. Just with the good old "eyeball" as a back sight and a bead front sight.

Back