Should I go enlisted or officer?

Oh the flame is not over! Trying to decide between being a STO and a CCT? Please spell right and use correct English grammar.

+2 on what steeda wrote! That's right on.

did mean waste because I would have spent 4 years of pain to earn something that made me hardly any different than not even going through those 4 years.
Buddy, you need to learn how to properly use the written English language before you get into a forum of professional soldiers and start putting streams of verbal diarrhea on the web. Granted, while soldier and grammar are generally not synonymous, at least sound like you're old enough to enlist. I'm not trying to make fun of you IN ANY WAY here, but one of the first rules of spec ops is if you're fucked up, at least look good doing it.

I've heard that CCT officers rarely get to lead a team of operators into combat and training unless they were all AFSOC, so I was wondering, should I go officer or enlisted.

I really want to become an officer, but I don't want it to go to waste and end up no different than an enlisted in training and combat.

I would like to find out what benefits does officers have.

BTW I don't want to end up training people or sitting behind a desk when I become CCT. I will be willing to do that in my 40s but not in my 20s and early 30s.

So please reply and let me know what an officer gets in CCT. Thank you!

I'm not now nor ever been CCT, so these are generalized comments.

Benefits of being an officer... well, sometimes you get paid more. And there's a little more variety in the way the ranks look (bars, leaves, birds and stars vs. chevrons and rockers). That's about it. OK, that's not really it, but I'm not going to go into a long and detailed discussion on that right now.

With regard to training, individual and crew-level collective training is an NCO responsibility. If that's your main interest, then you should be come an NCO. Collective training above the crew level is where the officers start to get involved. With that said, training is one of the most important aspects of the military profession. Training is closely tied to leading, and vice versa. You want to be in charge of folks but not be involved in training until you're 40? :uhh: OK, but that's probably only possible if you enlist at 38.

If you want to be a "doer" for a longer period of time, then you should consider becoming enlisted. If you're willing to be a "doer" for a shorter period of time in exchange for being a "manager" and "enabler" at the higher levels, then becoming an officer may be a good call for you.

If you do become an officer, keep in mind that the key to your succes is going to be the NCOs who work for and with you. You will not be successful in your career if you cannot garner the respect and trust of your NCOs.

Whatever you choose to do, and despite the pounding you've taken on the site so far, I commend you for your decision to serve and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. I hope you decide to stick around on the site and keep us posted on your progress.

If you do become an officer, keep in mind that the key to your succes is going to be the NCOs who work for and with you. You will not be successful in your career if you cannot garner the respect and trust of your NCOs.

That statement radiates so much about what will make you successful or a shit bag. Every new 2LT reporting to their first unit should be required to memorize and live it. :D

Back to pogueland.

That statement radiates so much about what will make you successful or a shit bag. Every new 2LT reporting to their first unit should be required to memorize and live it. :D

Back to pogueland.

x 10!

The ONLY thing you should worry about at your age, is FINISHING high school.

Bingo.

Just some generalized thoughts for someone coming into the service:
For getting into a service academy, CAP and doing very well in high school will set you up for success. Get into good physical shape now and stay there. Do some professional reading and try to get an understanding of what you are really getting into. Five Years to Freedom is a good start.

For your future career endeavors, it's always been my opinion that you should find the best ways and things to do in order to prepare for that aspiration, then do it, while at the same time telling as few people about your plans as possible.

Very few people need to know that you want to be a _______. When someone does need to know and you are seeking guidance, be very humble.

As 08 said:
Then once you do earn their respect, forget that you did and do it all over again!
Never offer excuses. Not to your superiors, and not to your men. Ever. (and that is contrary to typical human nature).
:2c:

You will not be successful in your career if you cannot garner the respect and trust of your NCOs.

One more thing...respect and trust of your NCOs are golden, but you have to actually listen to them. Your decisions will be be yours, but no one with an ounce brains makes a decision without input.

Anyway, I digress.......take all the input you can get before you make a decision. Particularly if that decision may cause loss of life.

Back