Slight set back to training... dumb knee

yarles87

Verified Military
I was going to put this in the medical section, but it seemed like most of that area was dedicated to kits and specialization.

Turns out I've been training on a fully torn ACL for quite some time now... 6-12 months would be my guess. My knee had been popping out of place during a few crossfit WODs, hurt like a bitch for 15 seconds, and then I was good to continue the workout. Next day it would be sore as hell, and I just did the RICE and advil deal. I commissioned in to the USMC in December, and head to TBS in 3 months. I decided to go to the doc and see what the deal was before I officially become gov't property. A ACL tear was not what I was expecting.

I had two previous ACL tears from high school and college football. I sure as hell knew it when I tore it the two prior times. I guess I'm just accustomed to the discomfort, and chose to ignore it. It's stuff I've worked through, including several amateur boxing matches, qualifying and competing in the crossfit regional, and running a few sprint tri's. I run a sub 9 1.5mile, and 19:30 3 mile at 210lbs.

I'm getting set up for a don joy fitted athletic brace. I'm going to continue training the way I do, perhaps a bit smarter, but still working my ass off.

I'm going for an Infantry MOS, and if I'm able to prove I'm worth a damn as a PL, towards MARSOC or recon. I planning to omit this little bit of medical history from the Corps... will this bite me in the ass? Any suggestions/advice on any of this would be greatly appreciated.

(I am in no way looking for a pity party. It's an obstacle, but I'll duct tape that knee together if need be.)

Would one of you fellas mind expanding on why?
Sincerely, know nothing buttabar

Honesty, integrity and the possibility that you may actually be physically unfit to lead a platoon of Infantry or Recon Marines. Being that you are going to command troops, how could you ever hold them accountable to honesty and integrity if you yourself are not accountable? If you feel you need to “omit” or not be fully honest with your medical screening; it is either worse then you are claiming and truly will hinder your ability, or you have some personal issues you should work out before taking on that job to lead young Marines into battle.

ETA: if you can do the job and you do heal then there is no reason to worry, but starting your career off in this manner will truly bite you in the ass at some point. It may not be b/c of this issue, but it could be something else you decide to omit in the future.

Fully torn? If you don't get that fixed you're going to be a liability every time you go bush. It's going to be a bit hard to hide scars on your knees. Even if they are little scope scars, docs who do screening in the military know what to look for.

Seriously I would not want a 210 lb deadweight with a torn ACL on patrol with me. Maybe its just me but I don't like carrying others weight.

I will echo every previous post. I respect your drive and enthusiasm however if you body isn't ready to cope with the strains of working out, then you will be a major liability in combat. The Marine Corps isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The medical screening process is there for a reason. It's not their first go around when it comes to implementing an effective system of creating warriors. Tell the doctors all about it and let them do their jobs. I really do wish you the best of luck on the journey.

Back