Sniper Prep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabe

Unverified
Hello, I am 15 years old and I was wondering how I could practice/prepare to be a sniper. I would like to join the Canadain Forces, like I said im only 15 years old and my current knowledge is limited.

Thanks
-Dal​

Graduate High School...Please read the stickies. PM one of the members that has the sniper cross hairs. If one of the snipers on the board would like to answer this please PM me I will re open the thread.

LOL.... Alright, Instead of telling you how to prep for a Sniper course, I will tell you how you become a sniper in the CF.

The first step is actually joining the army. Upon acceptance you will attend what is called BMQ or basic.... It will teach you everything you need to know about being in the army, but not much practical knowledge.

In order to even be eligible for sniper training you have to have 031 Infantry as your military occupation. No other trades have it. Once done Basic, you will move on to what is called SQ or soldier Qualification. Basically a very basic infantry course that will teach you the basics on fieldcraft and battlecraft. It is mostly designed for support trades or non combat arms trades that are part of the army, like communications, logistics, etc... However Infantry still have to go through it.

Next will be your trade specicfic course, or your Infantry Battleschool. This will be the first real gut check. You will be tested physically and mentally.
you will be taught how to close with and destroy the enemy by day and by night, in all terrain, and all weather conditions. it is a demanding course, but is achievable.

From there you will be posted to one of the infantry battalions. You will be put into a rifle company and will stay there for 2 to 4 years. Depending on your skill and conduct, you may be given the change to attend the Recconassaince Patrolman course.

The recce course will be one of the toughest courses you can attend in the Infantry. It will challenge you both mentally and physically. The instructors will give you very challenging tasks with unrealistic timings just to see what you are made of. You will learn how to operate in small units forward of friendly lines. The course is designed to bring out your leadership, initiative and attention to detail.

Upon succesful completion of the recce course, you will move back to your rifle company and depending on how well you did on the course you may be offered the chance to move to the battalions recce platoon. Once you have done your time in recce platoon, and have shown the traits that the Master Sniper has deemed suitable, you may get selected for sniper selection.

Sniper selection is basically a 2 week precourse. A test and evaluation period to see if you have the ability to be trained as a sniper. To be succesful on the selection you have to score Marksman on the personal weapons test, excel at judging distance, Observation, concealment and an introduction to stalking an enemy. There is also a phychological evaluation.

If you make the grade on the selection, you move straight on to the course. During the course, you will be tested constantly. It is different from the recce course, as it is in a relaxed setting. However, it is set up, so that you will have a lot of self inflicted stress. On the course you will do over a month of shooting. Both conventional range and field firing. There will also be over a Month of sniper battlecraft.
You will have to pass written tests, observation tests, judging distance tests, spotting tests, concealment tests, and of course stalking an enemy OP. You have to pass 6 of the 8 live fire stalks. Once you have completed all of that, you move on to the final exercise, where you will have to perform the duties of a sniper, in Austere conditions, sometimes on the run, being chased by dogs.

Once you complete this, you become a Basic sniper in the Canadian Army.
Best of luck....Hope this answers some questions.
If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask.

. Once you have completed all of that, you move on to the final exercise, where you will have to perform the duties of a sniper, in Austere conditions, sometimes on the run, being chased by dogs.

:uhh::eek:

wow I think my head is about to burst with all that info :D.
Thanks pete the info helped ALOT, so im guessing I should just sharpen my memory skills and just keep fit?
Once again thanks

:uhh::eek:

wow I think my head is about to burst with all that info :D.
Thanks pete the info helped ALOT, so im guessing I should just sharpen my memory skills and just keep fit?
Once again thanks

It is not a matter of just sharpening your memory skills and just keeping fit. You should always be striving to better yourself, mentally and physically. Strive to reach the highest level of fitness that you can and then push yourself past it. Attain the highest level of education you can prior to joining the CF and then continue to educate yourself on your own. And this goes for any trade in the CF, whether it be combat arms or support.

gdamadg hit the nail right on the head.
Thats what I was getting at. It takes years of giving 110% after you've joined the army just to get a shot at attending the course.
You can't say "I want to join the army to be a sniper". You have to prove yourself over and over again after you join.

It is not a matter of just sharpening your memory skills and just keeping fit. You should always be striving to better yourself, mentally and physically. Strive to reach the highest level of fitness that you can and then push yourself past it. Attain the highest level of education you can prior to joining the CF and then continue to educate yourself on your own. And this goes for any trade in the CF, whether it be combat arms or support.
I see.. well I dont know what to say haha, so keep striving to be the best I can be and give 110%. I understand that becoming a sniper is a long process and I believe I have the ability to prepare for it. Once again thanks, is their anyting else I should know, and pointers like helping my aim etc.? Or...

Don't worry about that.
Get fit, maybe join an orienteering club and learn to navigate at a high level, work on your fitness, play team sports, go for a run, get strong, stay in school.
At the end of the day it's not until you get into your battalion that you will be able to bring everything together. Once you get there you'll know if you are up for it. If you are running rings around your peers, you might have a chance, if you are back in the pack, then maybe not.

Become the best infantryman you can. Worry about that first and once you are there, work on the next level.

Don't worry about that.
Get fit, maybe join an orienteering club and learn to navigate at a high level, work on your fitness, play team sports, go for a run, get strong, stay in school.
At the end of the day it's not until you get into your battalion that you will be able to bring everything together. Once you get there you'll know if you are up for it. If you are running rings around your peers, you might have a chance, if you are back in the pack, then maybe not.
I see... thanks for all the info and advice guys :D

On a shooting level, I would recommend joining a shooting club. When I was in my teens, I shot in a local club. Started with small bore and then moved on to High Power and cross course shooting.

Although it has nothing to do with a majority of sniper tradecraft, it will give a lot of skill base in calling/ reading wind, judging distance, maintaining data books and simply learning the full effects of trajectory.

I am unsure as to what shooting clubs may be available in Canada, if any at all. However, Camp Perry is a hop skip and jump away…

On a shooting level, I would recommend joining a shooting club. When I was in my teens, I shot in a local club. Started with small bore and then moved on to High Power and cross course shooting.

Although it has nothing to do with a majority of sniper tradecraft, it will give a lot of skill base in calling/ reading wind, judging distance, maintaining data books and simply learning the full effects of trajectory.

I am unsure as to what shooting clubs may be available in Canada, if any at all. However, Camp Perry is a hop skip and jump away…
A shooting club,eh.... looks like ill have to talk to my dad about this one lol.
Thinking bout joining thisclub
Thanks for the recommendation J.A.B

If you are unable to join a club, don't worry about it. Some of the best shots I've seen in my career never fired or handled a firearm before joining the military. The Army will teach you every thing you need to know about shooting and give you lots of chances to put some lead down range. This will also give you a clean slate, so you don't bring any bad habits with you; that have to be taught out of you.

LOL, maybe he'll listen to us then. :D
lol, :D. As for the CF is there anything general i should know going into recruitment? There is still 2 years left until i can 'join' but i want to prepare the best i can >:{

lol, :D. As for the CF is there anything general i should know going into recruitment? There is still 2 years left until i can 'join' but i want to prepare the best i can >:{

I will start by saying I was not a sniper, infantryman, or in the Canadian Armed Forces. I have served my country in uniform and continue to do so as a contractor. Members in the thread can vouch for me as needed.

I would encourage anyone wishing to join the military, of any branch or profession, to be in exceptional physical condition. Learn how to work out without injuring yourself. Your joints and back will take a pounding so learn how to train without damaging those.

Learn to run, swim if you can. Cardio is very important.

You will need strength and stamina. MOST big, bulky weightlifters fare poorly in my experience as they have a lot of mass to overcome. You don't need to be a big guy, you need a lot of heart.

Learn to run, swim if you can. Cardio is very important.

Learn to read well, quickly if possible, remembering as much as possible. Learn to study. Do so in well lit conditions. Do not be like me and read in any light or you will wear glasses like me.

As you get closer to your goal learn to walk distances, carrying weight, in well broken in boots. Basic will toughen your feet, but if you have those callouses going in then you won't have to fight blisters later on.

Don't spend your days inside. Spend as much time outside as possible to get used to the conditions. I can't vouch for Canadian weather but here in the US we see heat casualties because kids went from the TV to Basic and the heat killed them. I'll let my Canadian brothers elaborate more on this.

Study history, take a special interest in it. Don't worry about dates, worry about details. If you don't know what to read we can start a new thread with some great suggestions.

The orienteering club is a great idea. It gets you in the elements, walking distances, and makes you comfortable in the woods.

Learn to write well. As you progress in your career you will write more and more. Take an interest in grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Don't forget to proof-read.

Learn how to deal with people. You will be exposed to a number of different types of all backgrounds.

There is no unimportant subject in school. You can learn from everything.

Bottom Line: The best thing you can do is develop your mind and your body, hardening both. The Army will take care of the rest.

Ditto what has been said before. A lot of good solid advice here for a young man just starting out. I would add this: Make sure you're doing it for the right reason. If you are basing your goal on what you seen in the movies or on TV, you may have an unrealistic image of just what you're tying into.

That said, I've been doing this for a while and I've noticed that competitive shooters and hunters usually do well.
Putting your own time and money into building your skill set is a sound investment.

In competition you must perform to a consistently high standard against time pressure.
Hunters are accustomed to stalking and engaging live targets. Deer sized game are about man size. Habituation is key.

Once word gets around that you've got a shelf full of shooting awards and a freezer full of venison, somebody is going to ask the question, "Hey, why haven't we sent this guy to sniper school yet?"

Worked for me. YMMV.

I will start by saying I was not a sniper,
Study history, take a special interest in it. Don't worry about dates, worry about details. If you don't know what to read we can start a new thread with some great suggestions.
I would LOVE if you would do that :)

I am a pretty big Miltiary History buff, an most history in general.

Baker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back