Sniper Prep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't spend your days inside. Spend as much time outside as possible to get used to the conditions. I can't vouch for Canadian weather but here in the US we see heat casualties because kids went from the TV to Basic and the heat killed them. I'll let my Canadian brothers elaborate more on this.

Once again, FF has come up with outstanding advice.

I'll add to the climate changes and training in extreme weather conditions. Up here in Canada, for some reason where ever there is a Base it is put where the most extremes that mother nature can put forth happen. You will be out there doing something as simple as a run in extreme heat and extreme cold; then throw in every thing in between. A few months ago, where I live it was -35C and just last week it was +30C; that doesn't add the wind chill or humidex factors. Remember that for a good portion of the year we get cold, wet, miserable weather and that is the hardest to keep dry and regulate your core temp in. I'm not saying to put yourself in all those extremes, the Army will give you the equipment to deal with it but learn about living in them and try to adapt to some of them.

I will start by saying I was not a sniper,
Study history, take a special interest in it. Don't worry about dates, worry about details. If you don't know what to read we can start a new thread with some great suggestions.
I would LOVE if you would do that :)

I am a pretty big Miltiary History buff, an most history in general.

Baker

I see...could you recommend any books or sites I could go too and get some good info? As for doing this for the right reasons yes I believe I am doing this for the right reasons im not doing this based on games and movies i know this is the real deal :). Once again thanks for the help guys.

-Dal​

I see...could you recommend any books or sites I could go too and get some good info?

-Dal

To many questions. ;) Take the time to read the advice given again, all the answers are there. As well, there is a lot of great info on here; use the Search function or just browse around. You're still young, take whatever you can from school, go to your local library, go to your local Legion and talk to some Vets. There is all sorts of sources of information around you, just take the time to look around for it yourself; it's not going to be handed to you on a silver platter. We don't spoon feed our soldiers. :2c:

To many questions. ;) Take the time to read the advice given again, all the answers are there. As well, there is a lot of great info on here; use the Search function or just browse around. You're still young, take whatever you can from school, go to your local library, go to your local Legion and talk to some Vets. There is all sorts of sources of information around you, just take the time to look around for it yourself; it's not going to be handed to you on a silver platter. We don't spoon feed our soldiers. :2c:
hahaha, sorry if im sounding a bit over anxious :doh::-x
Thanks
-Dal​

hahaha, sorry if im sounding a bit over anxious :doh::-x
Thanks
-Dal​

Ah, to be 15 again ;)

Well, if you want to read something thats really old, but still really good, The Art Of War by Sun Tzu. It's a really good read.

Baker

Ah, to be 15 again ;)

Well, if you want to read something thats really old, but still really good, The Art Of War by Sun Tzu. It's a really good read.

Baker

Ugh my dad has that book >:{ you shoulda seen his face when i asked him if I could borrow it :rolleyes:

If you are unable to join a club, don't worry about it. Some of the best shots I've seen in my career never fired or handled a firearm before joining the military. The Army will teach you every thing you need to know about shooting and give you lots of chances to put some lead down range. This will also give you a clean slate, so you don't bring any bad habits with you; that have to be taught out of you.

I guess you mean like Carlos Hathcock one of the most famous snipers in US military history? Who just so happened to be hunter, turned competitive shooter. Of course prior to ever being a sniper...

“That way you don't have to break bad habits”! BRM and ARM were the worst blocks of instructions on marksmanship I had ever received.

There is a reason, the US forces all compete in marksmanship There is a reason for the CMP and there is a reason why more non military people win the nationals every year...

Shooting 1000 yards, with a NM AR15 using Iron sights and holding 1-1.5 MOA at Camp Perry (The place of all wind)...

Just saying :)

Just saying :)

LOL, I completely understand what is meant but if the kid can't get into a good club and get the right training/direction; he'll end up with some really bad habits. ;) I've seen some hunters and competitive shooters up here that I want to wear a bomb suit just in case I get hit by a stray.

As for doing this for the right reasons yes I believe I am doing this for the right reasons im not doing this based on games and movies i know this is the real deal :). Once again thanks for the help guys.

-Dal​

You've had some excellent and expert advice from some very qualified guys, can I just ask why at 15 years of age do you want to be a sniper, what are the "right reasons" and how do you think it will feel to actually 'do it'?

I'm not trying to be clever, I'm just trying to get a heads up on why you want this and what you think it will bring you.

You mentioned that your dad wasn't happy when you asked to read the book The Art of War, will he be ok with this thread?

You've had some excellent and expert advice from some very qualified guys, can I just ask why at 15 years of age do you want to be a sniper, what are the "right reasons" and how do you think it will feel to actually 'do it'?

I'm not trying to be clever, I'm just trying to get a heads up on why you want this and what you think it will bring you.

You mentioned that your dad wasn't happy when you asked to read the book The Art of War, will he be ok with this thread?

Okay, first off I could care less if I became a sniper in the CF, I would really like to become one and will of course try my best to do so, but if the instructors feel that I am not "good" enough to become one or if I fail the sniper course I will continue to serve in the forces as an infantry man. I am joining the forces to serve my country not to just become some badass sniper. As for the books my dad was more or less shocked that I asked to borrow the book, he wasn't 'unhappy' that I asked for the book. With him being okay with this thread both my parents know about my ambitions to join the forces and they 100% support me.

Thanks​
-Dal​

In competition you must perform to a consistently high standard against time pressure.
Hunters are accustomed to stalking and engaging live targets. Deer sized game are about man size. Habituation is key.

Once word gets around that you've got a shelf full of shooting awards and a freezer full of venison, somebody is going to ask the question, "Hey, why haven't we sent this guy to sniper school yet?"

Worked for me. YMMV.

Damn, wannabe....you've heard from the best at what we do. As you're in 'follower' mode right now, Follow that lead.

25 meter target is finishing school.

Shooting clubs or backyard plinking will make you a stand-out in any crowd from someone handling a rifle for the first time. That will get you noticed, but on the gray man level. If you try to get noticed, you will not like the results.

Do the best ya can at all you do, the bennies will come, sniper school being one of the many.

Good luck and keep us updated.

;):2c:

Okay, first off I could care less if I became a sniper in the CF, I would really like to become one and will of course try my best to do so, but if the instructors feel that I am not "good" enough to become one or if I fail the sniper course I will continue to serve in the forces as an infantry man. I am joining the forces to serve my country not to just become some badass sniper. As for the books my dad was more or less shocked that I asked to borrow the book, he wasn't 'unhappy' that I asked for the book. With him being okay with this thread both my parents know about my ambitions to join the forces and they 100% support me.

Thanks​
-Dal​

Thats why I wrote that first post. You have a long road ahead of you... I know dudes in the CF who are checked out beyond belief, however, they have never even been offered a sniper course.

Sometimes, careers go down a different path. Train for passing Infantry battleschool before you start thinking about what comes next.

Thats why I wrote that first post. You have a long road ahead of you... I know dudes in the CF who are checked out beyond belief, however, they have never even been offered a sniper course.

Sometimes, careers go down a different path. Train for passing Infantry battleschool before you start thinking about what comes next.

Yea I think i realize that now. I think when I first posted I was a bit over anxious about this and with reading all this info and reading all the other posts on this board I think now I have just a little better grasp into what I am getting myself into.

Thanks
-Dal​

Okay, first off I could care less if I became a sniper in the CF, I would really like to become one and will of course try my best to do so, but if the instructors feel that I am not "good" enough to become one or if I fail the sniper course I will continue to serve in the forces as an infantry man. I am joining the forces to serve my country not to just become some badass sniper.

Good reply. As Pete says after you have completed your basic (or equivalent) have a look around and consider what options are available to you. You may decide to choose a different path to sniping.

As for the books my dad was more or less shocked that I asked to borrow the book, he wasn't 'unhappy' that I asked for the book. With him being okay with this thread both my parents know about my ambitions to join the forces and they 100% support me.

Sorry about the confusion there, I read it the other way. Having your parents behind you is half the battle. I'm sure you will do them proud whatever way it pans out.

Good luck for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back