SOF/DEA MH-47 Crash


Verified SOF
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Aside from the 3 DEA SA's (RIP Warriors)..

Straight from

“At approximately 0330 hours, and after an extremely successful counter narcotics/counter insurgency operation, which included an hour-long firefight with insurgents, U.S. military personnel, DEA agents, and our Afghan counterparts were departing the target area on a U.S. military CH-47 helicopter when it crashed killing Special Agent Weston, Special Agent Leamon, Special Agent Michael and seven Special Forces personnel. Twenty-six personnel were injured, including DEA FAST Team Leader Pat McDarby, who was badly hurt on impact. Risking further injury, he and other able U.S. military personnel immediately began removing the injured from the burning wreckage. "

No names have been released for the seven KIA yet.

RIP Warriors
Night Stalkers and SFers killed in MH-47 crash Archive/2009/October/091029-03.html

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, Oct. 29, 2009) — Seven U.S. Army Special Operations Command Soldiers died Oct. 26, 2009 in western Afghanistan.

All the Soldiers died as a result of injuries received when the MH-47 Chinook helicopter they were flying in crashed.

Two of the Soldiers were assigned to 3rd Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne) Fort Bragg, N.C. They are:

Sgt. 1st Class David E. Metzger, 32, native of San Diego, Calif., was a Special Forces communications sergeant.

Staff Sgt. Keith R. Bishop, 28, native of Smithtown, N.Y., was a Special Forces weapons sergeant.

Metzger is survived by his sons David and Grant, who reside in Fort Bragg, North Carolina. He is also survived by his parents David Metzger and Lisandra Holstein, as well as his grandmother Dolores of San Diego, Calif.

Bishop is survived by his wife Margaret of Flager Beach, Fla. and parents Robert and Suzan Bishop, of Carlisle Penn.

The remaining Soldiers were assigned to 3rd Battalion, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne) headquartered at Hunter Army Airfield, Ga. They are:

Chief Warrant Officer 4 Michael P. Montgomery, 36, native of Redmond, Wash., was a pilot and electronic warfare officer.

Chief Warrant Officer 3 Niall D. Lyons, 40, native of Spokane, Wash., was a pilot and tactical operations officer.

Staff Sgt. Shawn H. McNabb, 24, native of Terrell, Texas, was an emergency care sergeant.

Sgt. Josue E. Hernandez-Chavez, 23, native of Las Vegas, Nev., was a flight engineer.

Spc. Nickolas A. Mueller, 26, native of Little Chute, Wis., was a flight engineer.

Montgomery is survived by his wife and son, Anita and Riley Montgomery, of Savannah, Ga; and his mother, Mary Montgomery, of Redmond, Wash.

Lyons is survived by his son John of Dothan, Ala.; his parents, John and Nuala Lyons, of Spokane, Wash.; and his brother, Kevin Lyons, also of Spokane, Wash.

McNabb is survived by his parents, David and Ann McNabb, of Terrell, Texas.

Hernandez-Chavez is survived by his father, Pedro Hernandez; his mother, Eustolia Hernandez, of Las Vegas, Nev.; and his two sisters, Cristina and Mayra Hernandez, both of Las Vegas, Nev.

Mueller is survived by his parents, Larry and Sharon Mueller, of Little Chute, Wis.

The incident is still under investigation to determine the cause of the crash. Names of the injured have not been released.
For further information, media should contact the U.S. Army Special Operations Command Public Affairs Office during duty hours at 910-432-6005 or continue to visit this website ( for updates.
"Those voices never say Don't follow my path, because you may sacrifice everything.
Instead, they whisper proudly from the past.
Do what I have done. Risk all, press on....
Night Stalkers Don't Quit!"

From "The Night Stalkers" by M. Durant and S. Hartov.