SOF/DEA MH-47 Crash

The Regiments commander Colonel Clayton M. Hutmacher gave a statement regarding the incident:

HUNTER ARMY AIRFIELD, GA – October 30, 2009 – During the past week the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne), working alongside fellow special operations units, suffered the loss of an exemplary group of Soldiers in two very tragic accidents. On October 22, a Blackhawk helicopter crashed during a training mission off the coast of Virginia and on October 26, a Chinook helicopter crashed while conducting a mission in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

Every night, the uniquely skilled and highly trained Night Stalker aviators and crew members perform the most challenging and dangerous training and missions in support of our Special Operations brothers. It is with a very heavy heart that we recognize the loss of our six Night Stalkers, two Special Forces brethren and three DEA agents. Our thoughts and prayers are with our surviving but seriously wounded Night Stalkers and Special Operations Forces injured in each accident.

Both aircraft were flown by exceptionally qualified and professional crews. At this time it is unclear as to what caused the aircraft to crash and while it’s important that we investigate and determine what caused these tragic events; our immediate and lasting concern is for the families and friends of these extraordinary men who served their country with distinction, made the ultimate sacrifice, and who lived by the motto: “Night Stalkers Don’t Quit.”

Prayers for the families and friends of the fallen.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"-Isaiah 6:8

Back