Space Force...

Devildoc

Verified Military
Serious questions: what do they do? If I wanted to join, what would they offer? Is it all tech-driven? Where could I be stationed?

I realize I am very ignorant about Space Force.

We do have a 20 page thread on the topic, it may be worth merging this into that….

Space Force

That's fine. I looked at it, a bunch of appropriately snarky comments. The Wiki page helped but might as well have been written in a foreign language for a troglodyte like me. I will keep researching.

That's fine. I looked at it, a bunch of appropriately snarky comments.
Yeah, you are correct. (I never really watched that thread). I’m sure I’ll get hate mail or calls for my execution over this, but I’m going to lock that thread up and make this the new Space Force thread going forward.

Like it or not, “space” is a real future battle ground and these folks appear to be the ones at the tip of that particular spear. The snark and comedy can get posted in the dot thread.

Let’s keep this thread useful and relatively serious please.

Yeah, you are correct. (I never really watched that thread). I’m sure I’ll get hate mail or calls for my execution over this, but I’m going to lock that thread up and make this the new Space Force thread going forward.

Like it or not, “space” is a real future battle ground and these folks appear to be the ones at the tip of that particular spear. The snark and comedy can get posted in the dot thread.

Let’s keep this thread useful and relatively serious please.

The thread about Russia weaponizing space platforms got me thinking about this, and I realized I really didn't know anything about space force.

I have learned enlistees go to AF BMT with a couple more days of SF-centric training. I imagine most of the jobs are done behind monitors and keyboards, but I just don't know.

Join as Enlisted - U.S. Space Force

The above link has information for enlisted, officer, and civilian jobs. Looking at some of the civilian postings, there are definitely tech centric jobs, but also exercise therapists and business management jobs.

I know they are able to be very selective as the below article indicates. Only 700 taken out of a 4,000 person applicant pool.

Space Force mulls 8-year active duty enlistments for new recruits

Thanks for sharing. I am not sure I would dig the 8-year active duty contract; however, it seems that SF could be on the edge of innovative recruitment and retention given its missions.

If it had been an thing earlier in my career, I would absolutely have made the jump to the Space Force.

Space SOF is gonna be lit ;)

I'll be honest. When SF became a thing, like everyone else except space nerds I thought it was hokey as hell. But then I grew up, blew off the old-man dust and saw the potential. I could dig it.

My wife's good friend is a colonel in the AF, he does something computery and cyber. He told me he's far too senior in rank and time to lat-trans but if was 10 years ago he would have jumped in a heartbeat.

Why do I feel so smug... oh, right!

Also they need to get rid of this person. I don't think coddling this sort of mental illness is a a good thing. From what little I know, space is a lifeless, hostile, and unforgiving environment. The service doesn't need distractions or dysfunctional people like the one below.

- Mod Edit to remove video that is not relevant to this discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
The snark and comedy can get posted in the dot thread.

Let’s keep this thread useful and relatively serious

Also they need to get rid of this person. I don't think coddling this sort of mental illness is a a good thing.
@R.Caerbannog -

we are not doing that in this thread, if you want to have that rant please do it in one of the many political threads already in place.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss Space Force and its mission.

Published yesterday…

Threats In Space "Extremely Concerning": Space Force Boss

The U.S. Space Force's top officer says the scale and scope of Russian and Chinese threats to American assets in orbit is "of paramount concern." Chief of Space Operations Gen. Chance Saltzman's comments came earlier this week at a media roundtable on the sidelines of the Air & Space Forces Association's (AFA) 2024 Warfare Symposium in Colorado.

Space is the new hotness. It's like the Stryker Brigade of the skies; it's the newest thing with the most new money, so a lot of people are going to want to do it.

I'm interested to see what it finally evolves into.

Space is the new hotness. It's like the Stryker Brigade of the skies; it's the newest thing with the most new money, so a lot of people are going to want to do it.

I'm interested to see what it finally evolves into.

I find it a bit funny that Space and Cyber are competing for dollars against traditional "missions" for lack of a better word.

In a perfect (mine because I'm awesome) world someone would evaluate the nation's various threats, triage, and act accordingly.

Nothing against the SecDef because fuck cancer and all it entails, so I'm sympathetic there, but what's next? Who is plotting our overall strategy? Are they, as I saw in Afghanistan, over staffing it so that nothing is done? Under or not staffing the problem? Our border is wide open. Space? Eh. Cyber? Sort-of-ish I'm guessing.

Who is performing the triage? Not to broken record and all, but look at Afghanistan where we had years to prepare for an exit. That went well, right? We kicked ass on a theater/local level, so surely a national plan is being pulled together.

I'm done typing, time for Diablo 4 and some Parkway Drive. I'm sure our president, his staff, and cabinet are all over the problem.

Biden reelection campaign joins TikTok — though Biden banned its use on government devices

President Biden's reelection campaign launched its account on TikTok, the popular social media app, Sunday night during the Super Bowl, despite his administration's concerns about the app's security and whether user data can be shared with the Chinese government.

The account "Biden HQ" posted a video captioned "lol hey guys," featuring Mr. Biden answering "this or that" Super Bowl-related questions, like "game or halftime show?" ("Game") and "Jason Kelce or Travis Kelce?" (Mama Kelce, for her apparently "great chocolate chip cookies.")

@R.Caerbannog -

Your recent post in this thread has been moved here: The self identity thread.

If you continue to post trans-related opinions in this thread, your posting rites for this thread will be temporarily removed.

As a reminder to all, the purpose of this thread is to discuss Space Force and its mission. The purpose of Shadow Spear as a board is to support, mentor and encourage those looking to make the Military, especially in an SOF capacity, a career.

It was pointed out by the OP of this thread (and he’s right), that it’s difficult to have a conversation in a thread that is peppered with meme’s and snark. Plenty of places for those types of observations throughout the site.

@R.Caerbannog -

Your recent post in this thread has been moved here: The self identity thread.

If you continue to post trans-related opinions in this thread, your posting rites for this thread will be temporarily removed.

As a reminder to all, the purpose of this thread is to discuss Space Force and its mission. The purpose of Shadow Spear as a board is to support, mentor and encourage those looking to make the Military, especially in an SOF capacity, a career.

It was pointed out by the OP of this thread (and he’s right), that it’s difficult to have a conversation in a thread that is peppered with meme’s and snark. Plenty of places for those types of observations throughout the site.
Not memes, not snark. As for the previous thread, I was one of the few not mocking the creation of a new force. But I'll comply.

That said, there is a reason why recruitment is down across the board. Not saying anything about the elephant in the room is a disservice to the young pups.

The number of launches are insane. Everybody’s launching, Japan, China, India, US, the ESA, China—did I say China? They must launch three times a week.

I’m 200 miles from the Cape and catch a few of the SpaceX/NASA launches from the back porch. They are cranking them out from both Kennedy and Vandenberg.

And even though Mother Russia is engaged in Ukraine, they’re still able to launch a few now and again. Space. It’s the final frontier.

2023 Orbital Launches, by Country

Last edited:
Back