Review Special Forces Berlin: Clandestine Cold War Operations of the US Army's Elite, 1956–1990

AWP

SOF Support
That was surprisingly coherent given my BAC last night....

The book covers an SF company(+) assigned to Berlin during the Cold War. The book started out a little thin on details and read more like a history book, but by the late 60's or so the narrative picked up and you had a solid mix of "war" stories and textbook history. It described numerous exercises and training events, the unit's missions if the balloon went up and how those evolved slightly, and its participation in Eagle Claw. Honestly, that chapter alone may be worth the purchase price because I've never seen a "deep" write-up of the Det's role in Eagle Claw. The author interviewed at least one of the soldiers involved...just, wow.

It was pretty interesting too in that he left the Redacted parts in and by that I mean while reading you'll run into [Redacted] when he talks about [Redacted] or [Redacted]. Even if you know what's cut out the author still honored NDA's or the review process and I respect that.

It also covers the shuttering of the 39th Special Forces Company/ Det "A" and its rebirth under a different name. That was a weird deal so I won't attempt to write it up and possibly miss something.

The book starts a little slow, but really picks up once there are more men to interview. It is well worth your money and time.

Bob Baer did that in his book too. Mostly single words redacted ("I was [REDACTED] in an Embassy in [REDACTED]") sort of thing but the odd whole paragraph.

Back